• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 44, 2015

To sidestep the doom and gloom for a minute, it does makes you wonder just how relevant the digital side of things is becoming in today's climate. Maybe Halo 5 did perform below expectations, or maybe there are a lot of units not being accounted for by a chart that only focuses on physical copies sold.

At best it's an extra 20% of sales from digital as that's what most market reports say is usually the coverage for AAA games.

Still would leave Halo 5 with a poor debut here at like 180k overall.

Undead

Why all these Halo low sales talk? 150k is a lot of copies, I'm sure it will have great legs.
Who knows, maybe REQ pack sale might make more money for MS than regular Halo.

Halo is supposed to be a system seller, it's one of MS's top titles

Hasney

Why all these Halo low sales talk? 150k is a lot of copies, I'm sure it will have great legs.

It's the worst opening of any Halo that wasn't a re-release. It's not even good for the install base, Titanfall opened with only 25k less with a much smaller install base and as a brand new IP.

Bruno MB

I'm still astonished at Chart-Track press release spin when it comes to Halo 5: Guardians.

After Ubisoft’s ‘Assassin’s Creed’ franchise update last week comes Microsoft’s first full Halo release for Xbox One: ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ takes the top spot and outsells the week 1 for ‘AC: Syndicate’ by 50%.

This is also how much more Halo 5 sold in week 1 compared to last year’s ‘Halo: Master Chief Collection’ - up until now the only other Halo game available via retail for Xbox One owners

Hasney

Right, here's the breakdown of bundles that were available in order of release.

500GB with Ass Creed, Watch Dogs and Uncharted: £299.99 with £20 of Argos vouchers
1TB console with Ass Creed, Watch Dogs, Uncharted, and a PSTV(!!!) £319.99 @ Co-Op Electrical
500GB with Ass Creed and Watch Dogs £249.99 @ Boss Deals
500GB with Ass Creed, Watch Dogs, Uncharted, Killzone & 3 months Now TV £299.99 @ Game

Not included in this week, but just stareted and now Co-Op is sold out:

1TB with Ass Creed, Watchdogs, Uncharted & PSTV £329.99 @ Argos

Does not explain when you compare it to other retail launched of the same year.

It should not be an expectation for game franchises to sell more every year then when they sell less for everyone to declare digital download at fault.

Yeah, I don't see digital suddenly picking up the slack out of nowhere. Also I've seen Halo 5 being used in many FIFA 16 bundles and other bundles. As we're still not far into this gen, some of it's sales will be bundles more than previous installments.

Guess MCC did more damage than one would think.

Maybe things happened. Including that.

Halo has been on the decline since Halo 3 and then rise of COD afterwards. MCC being a mess didnt help. MS doing almost yearly Halo releases watering down the brands power as well as Halo 4 MP not grabbing people. etc...

The Halo release definitely felt low key. My store didn't do a midnight launch for it, there was no buzz or rush to buy (not many more than were buying AC the week prior) and no chatter between work colleagues or much fuss on FB in my circle. So whilst the numbers are low it really shouldn't be a surprise to see however it still kinda is because I've been at Halo launches last gen which were completely consumed by hype and excitement.

And with pricing on XBL for retail games in the UK, high digital sales don't make sense.
It's £45, so better than a lot of other games on download and the same ballpark as shops. It still looks bad though, although that shouldn't be a huge surprise after the last couple of games.

Hoo-doo

Banned

It's the lowest debuting mainline Halo, selling 50k less copies than ODST.

I'm sure expectations were at least a tad higher than that. But like i've said before, Halo 5 had a rather tepid launch with barely any buzz from what I could tell.

With how MCC came out last year, I'm not surprised this happened, hopefully MS will stop relying on a few key franchise names (Halo. Forza, Fable etc) to keep them up and invest more heavily in new ip, which they should have done years ago.

With how MCC came out last year, I'm not surprised this happened, hopefully MS will stop relying on a few key franchise names (Halo. Forza, Fable etc) to keep them up and invest more heavily in new ip, which they should have done years ago.

Ms have 4 new IPs due next year: scalebound, sea of thieves, quantum break and recore.

They've also launch a pretty decent number of new ips on Xbox already: ryse, sunset overdrive, ori as well as some other stuff

This argument doesn't work when you actually look at their line-up

We've seen some big drops though compared to previous titles like Forza, Assassins Creed Syndicate and now Halo. Has it been around 50% for all three?

T.O.P

Banned
Not amazing but really really good still

Also a shame since it's the best Halo since probably CE (imo ofc)

Ms have 4 new IPs due next year: scalebound, sea of thieves, quantum break and recore.

They've also launch a pretty decent number of new ips on Xbox already: ryse, sunset overdrive, ori as well as some other stuff

like I said, should have happened years ago, the last years of the 360 shows how little first party they had. They fell back on the staples which now includes Gears, when they should have invested in new then. Now could be too late for the long run.

Zalman

I'm not really surprised by the low Halo sales. I don't see much hype for it outside of the internet, and none of my friends are talking about it. Most people I know got burned by the collection last year (as well as Halo 4 before that). It will still be a big and successful game for Microsoft, but I think they need to be careful considering it's their flagship franchise.

Bruno MB

Why would they spin? They can't give numbers and this gives as a good ball park. Where's the spin here?

Well, this is just one example of how the media will report this week's Halo: 5 sales based on Chart-Track press release note. The way it is written it would seem that outselling Assassin's Creed: Syndicate by 50% is a great feat while mainline Halo titles have been selling in their first week way higher with the exception of Assassin's Creed III. And also there is the fact that Assassin's Creed: Syndicate had the worst debut in the series. And when it comes to comparing Halo 5 with other titles in the same series for a better context, they use a Halo remaster instead of recent mainline entries.

Xbox One exclusive Halo 5: Guardians topped the UK all-format charts for its debut week of release.

Impressively, Halo 5 earned 50 per cent more sales than multi-platform launch Assassin's Creed Syndicate did last week.

It's worth noting that Halo 5 launched on a Tuesday, so had three days longer on sale than Syndicate.

GHG

With the lowest halo opening along with the lowest Assassins Creed opening the other week one thing is clear... This industry is in desperate need of some new AAA IP's.

noobie

Banned
Watchdogs still pretty high the bundle must be doing pretty well.

Btw Uncharted should be close 100k now right?

Last week Uncharted was at 74k and sold around 14.4k and if it dropped to 11k (25% drop) this week it should be close to 85k.. still far from 100k.

kadotsu

Banned

From a business perspective SO, Ryse didn't really set the world on fire and probably won't be franchises. Ori is great, sold well and MS should scoop up Moon Studio. That said it's no replacement if Halo/Gears/Fable continue to disappoint (that said we should wait for US sales of Halo 5).

Next year: Scalebound is my most anticipated XB1 game, but it's Platinum and won't do the numbers MS needs. Recore is made by a studio that made IMO the worst Arkham game and creative is handled by Comcept, which is also very spotty. Sea of Thieves might go into closed beta in 2016 but I doubt it launches before 2017.

That leaves QB, which could be MS' Uncharted and I hope it is. I also think Halo will be Destiny-fied for its next installment and Fable 4 might already be in full production. At least I hope it is because Legends won't cut it.

noobie

Banned
Ms didn't issue their pr until the Tuesday after launch for halo 4 so we should wait a day on that

i think we will have a new benchmark in PR now.. Number of step taken after the introduction of number of bullets fired and number of kills made. :)

RulkezX

I wonder if a Summer release would be better for Halo, can't help think it's likely been passed up in favour of Battlefront, CoD and F4.

Bruno MB

Fun fact, Destiny also sold around 150,000 units in its debut week.

Code:
[Week 37, 2014] 02 (NE) XBO DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 150,000 / NEW

Top Bottom