• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 48, 2014

NHale

Seriously, why did Forza drop all of a sudden? It actually happened last week, but strangely it's only now people are seeing it.

Maybe because the last couple of weeks we had a bunch of new AAA releases + games going for cheap with Black Friday sales or bundled with consoles (a lot of them).

Games that were already released for a while right now have no marketing and also didn't suffer a price cut + not included in bundles = no sales.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the other perfect example. Recent release, no price cut on Black Friday sales and no bundles resulted in a major drop off in the charts. Far Cry 4 didn't drop as much because it was bundled in some unofficial XB1 bundles + official PS4 bundles and other retailers actually dropped the price on the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the sales for Smash Bros. based on like one day of sales? Maybe two, if Saturday still counts as part of the week and I don't think there are many stores that sell games on Sundays.

So if you ask me Smash selling 70k or so in a day in the UK alone is pretty good, considering it had to stand up against LBP3, a game on a console that has a way higher install base than the Wii U does, and got properly marketed too.

Pezus

Or Nintendo didn't have enough copies for black friday at all available in the UK. Amazon etc had shipment issues. It was quite the mess. I wonder how many people it actually affected though.

I think next week we can see a clearer picture how well it has sold.
Also, you couldn't download Brawl to your Wii, you can with the new smash bros, so that makes comparing it a bit tricky. I wouldn't worry.

Well I compared it to MK8 which is also a WiiU game and it compares quite unfavourably.

Pezus

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the sales for Smash Bros. based on like one day of sales? Maybe two, if Saturday still counts as part of the week and I don't think there are many stores that sell games on Sundays.

So if you ask me Smash selling 70k or so in a day in the UK alone is pretty good, considering it had to stand up against LBP3, a game on a console that has a way higher install base than the Wii U does, and got properly marketed too.

You are not exactly wrong but the same can be said for almost any game in the UK, making that fact irrelevant when doing comparisons to past games.

Edit: Well, you are wrong though since Smash did about 35k or so.

wotta

70k? Where did you get that number from? I'm pretty sure that's way too high for a game at number 13, in fact I know it is.

c0de

Do MS still have to pay Sony a (very) small royalty for each XBO sold for using a BR drive?

I'm morbidly curious as to how much they have made from it to date.

EDIT: After some research, I hear it's just over $1 for each unit. Not a bad deal for Sony.

And ms gets money from each Android device sold. They get about $1 from each, so... ;-)

Dysun

Seems like a weak launch for Smash out of the gate.

Sad to see Dragon Age falling everywhere, probably the best game this year

Or Nintendo didn't have enough copies for black friday at all available in the UK. Amazon etc had shipment issues. It was quite the mess. I wonder how many people it actually affected though.

I think next week we can see a clearer picture how well it has sold.
Also, you couldn't download Brawl to your Wii, you can with the new smash bros, so that makes comparing it a bit tricky. I wouldn't worry.

I think Nintendo will always have an "undershipment" problem because their fans don't pre-order.

Kill3r7

Seeing DA:I not doing fantastic is a bummer. It's the best thing Bioware has done since DA: Origins.

True but as we all know...good games don't always sell well. Hopefully the game will have good legs and continue selling throughout the holiday season.

I think there has to be some real concern about sales in the RPG "market" right now. I guess we'll have a better idea when Witcher 3 releases in February.

Interesting if XB1 just edged it and no more. Both consoles had good deals and bundles but there is no doubt MS pushed out more advertising and deals overall (as noted in the article) so while good for them short term it does raise the question can they remain this competitive on price and advertising spend on an ongoing basis?

It's clear that to actually compete the XB1 has to be cheaper deal.

I'd imagine if Sony retain overall lead in UK in first quarter of 2015 they'll happily accept selling in line with XB1 at a higher price point at peak trading.

Pretty much. The new kinect doesn't matter anymore (so much that they even took it off most bundles), 95% of the time they have "worse" versions of multiplatform games, and they basically almost committed brand suicide last year. They're kinda left with price (and exclusives) as their two main weapons against their competitor.

Xater

True but as we all know...good games don't always sell well. Hopefully the game will have good legs and continue selling throughout the holiday season.

I think there has to be some real concern about sales in the RPG "market" right now. I guess we'll have a better idea when Witcher 3 releases in February.

I know that very well. Some of my favorite games of all time have been absolutely commercial failures.

Personally I don#t worry about RPGs too much, because it seems like inXile and Obsidian might have carved out a nice niche with their Kickstarter titles.

PS: Wasteland 2 is fantastic and everyone should play it.

Kill3r7

I know that very well. Some of my favorite games of all time have been absolutely commercial failures.

Personally I don#t worry about RPGs too much, because it seems like inXile and Obsidian might have carved out a nice niche with their Kickstarter titles.

PS: Wasteland 2 is fantastic and everyone should play it.

Thx for the recommendation.

Flappy

Banned
And ms gets money from each Android device sold. They get about $1 from each, so... ;-)

Sony get money from iPhones/Pads too, because they make the camera sensors.

It seems that all competing corperations are suckling on each other's teats.

I think Nintendo are out on their own though. The lone wolfs.

Vena

Well I compared it to MK8 which is also a WiiU game and it compares quite unfavourably.

The only issue I'd see is that MK8, while digitally available, wasn't the first preload title on the console. I can see that siphoning a large chunk of sales, especially with a game like Smash where its fervent fans would want to play it immediately. More casual fans would pick it up retail or whenever on sales around the holidays.

It'll be interesting to hear from Nintendo about the digital adoption rate for the title.

You are not exactly wrong but the same can be said for almost any game in the UK, making that fact irrelevant when doing comparisons to past games.

Edit: Well, you are wrong though since Smash did about 35k or so.

70k? Where did you get that number from? I'm pretty sure that's way too high for a game at number 13, in fact I know it is.

Whoops, my bad. Scrolled to the thread too fast and somehow I read Smash Wii U selling 70k when it was Mario Kart 8.
I'm sorry for the confusion.

Raist

Banned

Smash did between 30 and 40k.

How many more years and big Nintendo titles is it gonna take until people realise that the WiiU flopped supper hard in the UK?

Smash did between 30 and 40k.

How many more years and big Nintendo titles is it gonna take until people realise that the WiiU flopped supper hard in the UK?

To be honest its lasted longer at retail than I thought it would be.

I was convinced it was going to be discontinued (by retailers) by march. Guess mario kart granted it a stay of execution.

jvm

Gamasutra.
UK
Retail Software

November 2013 - £149.50 million, 4.27 million units, ASP £35
November 2014 - £159.10 million (+6%), 4.31 million units (+1%), ASP £37

YTD November 2013 - £745.2 million, 25.8 million units, ASP £29
YTD November 2014 - £707.7 million (-5%), 22.3 million units (-14%), ASP £32

Dat ASP.

Belgo Ray

Germany, Top 50 - Week 48 (Nov 24 - Nov 29)

01 (NE) 3DS Pokémon: Omega Rubin
02 (NE) 3DS Pokémon: Alpha Saphir

03 (01) PS4 Grand Theft Auto V
04 (02) PS4 Far Cry 4
05 (NE) WIU Super Smash Bros.
06 (07) PS4 Assassin's Creed: Unity
07 (10) PS4 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
08 (15) PS4 FIFA 15
09 (05) PS4 Dragon Age: Inquisition
10 (18) PS3 FIFA 15

11 (NE) PS4 LittleBigPlanet 3
12 (03) XBO Grand Theft Auto V
13 (08) PS3 Far Cry 4
14 (14) PS3 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
15 (09) XBO Far Cry 4
16 (11) PC Landwirtschafts-Simulator 15
17 (22) 3DS Tomodachi Life
18 (NE) PC Emergency 5
19 (04) PC Far Cry 4
20 (41) PS4 Mittelerde: Mordors Schatten
21 (24) PS3 Minecraft
22 (25) 3DS Super Smash Bros.
23 (16) PC World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
24 (29) PC Die Sims 4
25 (47) PS4 The Evil Within
26 (06) PC Dragon Age: Inquisition
27 (21) PS3 Assassin's Creed: Rogue
28 (34) WII Just Dance 2015
29 (35) XBO Halo - The Master Chief Collection
30 (12) PS4 WWE 2K15
31 (27) XBO Assassin's Creed Unity
32 (33) WII Skylanders: Trap Team
33 (40) 360 FIFA 15
34 (13) 360 Far Cry 4
35 (20) XBO Dragon Age: Inquisition
36 (31) 360 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
37 (38) XBO Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
38 (NE) PS3 LittleBigPlanet 3
39 (52) PS4 Destiny
40 (23) PC Assassin's Creed Unity
41 (30) PS4 Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
42 (44) WII FIFA 15
43 (17) PS3 Mittelerde: Mordors Schatten
44 (32) PS3 Grand Theft Auto V
45 (62) PS4 Battlefield 4
46 (70) PS4 DriveClub
47 (71) PS4 Diablo 3
48 (81) PS3 F1 2014
49 (48) WIU Mario Kart 8
50 (49) 3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Top 50
PS4 15
PS3 9
PC 7
XBO 6
3DS 5
360 3
WII 3
WIU 2

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

MMaRsu

Banned
Mistake and Gamecube in the same sentence, ugh

I'm not sure if you remember but that console was without decent first party games for a LOOOONG TIME.

Either way the only real use I got out of it was TPP and Smash.

I think most people who bought a Wii U on launch are probably disappointed in the amount of great games within the first year too.

LBP > GTA V XBox. wtf?

Looks like a Great Week for Nintendo.

Well it's an Xbone... and the superior version is on PS4 so it doesn't surprise me at all.

Thanks, just searched for french numbers yesterday. ^^

Wii U Hardware Sales France. If the December is as strong as last year, Wii U will be at 550.000 minimum as he said.

Code:
[B]		Wii U		 Yearly[/B]

Nov 12		    +
Dec 12	      110.507		110.507

Jan 13		    +
Feb 13		    +
Mar 13		    +
Apr 13		    +
May 13	       35.685
Jun 13		3.242
Jul 13		    +
Aug 13		    +
Sep 13		    +
Oct 13	 	    +
Nov 13	       25.566
Dec 13        113.507		178.000

Jan 14         11.493
Feb 14              +
Mar 14              +
Apr 14              +
May 14         40.000
Jun 14              +
Jul 14              +
Aug 14              +
Sep 14              +
Oct 14              +
Nov 14        110.000
Dec 14				161.493 (without Dec)

[B]LTD	      450.000		450.000[/B]

....what's with the 2013 numbers, why is December over half the total
Well, it's normal, Wii U made 40% of it's USA-sales in December last year.

France seems to be just a bit crazier with 64% lol.

@numbers:
And this is probably the first number we got for amiibo sales? (or at least expectations from Nintendo)

200.000 amiibos is more than I would've expected for a market like France, the attach ratio is nearly 2:1 (consoles:amiibos).

Maybe we can expect 500.000 or more amiibos for the USA until the end of the year.

Well, it's normal, Wii U made 40% of it's USA-sales in December last year.

France seems to be just a bit crazier with 64% lol.

@numbers:
And this is probably the first number we got for amiibo sales? (or at least expectations from Nintendo)

200.000 amiibos is more than I would've expected for a market like France, the attach ratio is nearly 2:1 (consoles:amiibos).

Maybe we can expect 500.000 or more amiibos for the USA until the end of the year.
Exactly, that seems very high...and before someone says Black Friday, January-October 2013>December 2013 in the US

Besides, you have the sources on hand right (the July-November split in particular) :p

dolemite

Both the PS4 and Xbox One saw sales double week-on-week, with Xbox One again just edging ahead of its rival.

Well, that's unexpected. The sales for XBone must've been through the roof in the land of proper Black Friday (the US).

Italy:
14 million "PlayStation"
16 million PlayStation's joypad
136 million software sold (on PlayStation)
From PS4 launch, +60% Digital market
90% of PS4 are connected to PSN
16 million download from PS4
20 million "share"
Online session: about 30 minutes
Best adoption rate ever (for PS4)
By the end of the year there will be 500.000 PS4
PS4 have 74% market share next-gen

http://multiplayer.it/notizie/141640-sony-ha-venduto-14-milioni-di-playstation-in-italia.html

The source is Sony Italia, from the party in Milano of 20th birthday of PlayStation,

PS: Sorry if my english is incorrect :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Italy:
14 million "PlayStation"
20 million "share"

http://multiplayer.it/notizie/141640-sony-ha-venduto-14-milioni-di-playstation-in-italia.html

The source is Sony Italia, from the party in Milano of 20th birthday of PlayStation,

If by next gen they mean both Wii U and One, then

Forecast end of 2014 PS4 LTD - 500,000
Forecast end of 2014 PS4 % for next gen - 74%
Forecast end of 2014 Next gen overall - 675,676
Forecast end of 2014 Wii U + One - 175,676

Mokubba

Italy:
14 million "PlayStation"
20 million "share"

74% market share, goodness me.

Top Bottom