• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 9, 2017

noobie

Banned
Too close to filthy anime for the mainstream.

A game with a female protagonist, by a developer who have worked on a different genre. I doubt anyone could have said it with certainty that Horizon will do that well.

I doubt GG games have strong launches in UK or anywhere in the world.

A higher userbase automatically means great sales right guys?

There's a lot less people willing to buy a totally new machine for one game only. When Horizon is awesome and Zelda is awesome, but one of them works on their existing console, it's not surprising what game people choose to buy.

Ferr986

if install base is everything than GR2 should have topped the charts too or should have done quite well.

GR2 is a niche anime game that had not much promotion.

Horizon is a big AAA and then add another A because it's the best looking game right now, open world with a big budget and promotion. It was clear it was going to sell a lot. Maybe not highest Sony IP on PS4 but high enough.

A higher userbase automatically means great sales right guys?

Automatically no, but it helps.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
1425985783284_zpsbw62bkfo.gif

Am I missing something? This seems like an extremely harsh ban.

It was clear Horizon would take the spot, higher userbase -> higher sales.

A larger userbase doesn't hurt, but that's not the only reason. It sold well because it is fantastic and had great word of mouth, it was also marketed very well (particularly in the UK it seems).

BKK

Actually, it should the 4th biggest ever launch of a Zelda title since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time holds the crown, no idea why Chart-Track omitted it.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=111&s=1111

Note that they say "highest sales week" rather than "highest launch week". "Ocarina of Time was supplied constrained at launch and kept bouncing up and down the charts as they restocked, so it's possible that it's launch week wasn't it's highest week, especially as it released close to Christmas.

Ferr986

Look at everything not just the image...

He just quoted some unrealistic predictions from other people and attached a gif. I have seen this plenty of times on here. I dunno, it surprised me that it deserved a ban, but I understand mods don't want things to get heated here.

Putty

He just quoted some unrealistic predictions from other people and attached a gif. I have seen this plenty of times on here. I dunno, it surprised me that it deserved a ban, but I understand mods don't want things to get heated here.

A simple "wow to all those who said it'd flop" would have sufficed i'm sure...

EmiPrime

People who comb through post histories and keep text files on their computer ready to post a text dump "zinging" other posters the second a topic is posted are pathetic. Get a life.

I know someone who bought a PS4 Pro for Horizon ZD (was going to buy a Slim but went Pro for the 4K visuals). Not surprised it's selling great, reviews and positive word of mouth are doing their job as is Sony's marketing.

Elandyll

Banned
Oh ffs.

From 'Sony is sending Horizon to die' to 'this was expected due to user base'.

Some Zelda fans just can't help dissing on Horizon, as shown by the pathetic trolling done in both the HZD threads and the gifs posted in the Zelda threads (for no particular reason I might add).

HZD is a great game on PS4 and is doing great, Zelda is a great game on Switch and WiiU and is doing great - it's a Great time to be gaming.

Was it so hard?

Mikey Jr.

So glad it worked out for guerrilla.

I mean, horizons whole premise is bizarre. Can't imagine what that was like pitching it to Sony.

So guerrilla is pretty much set for the next 6 or 7 years.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Look at everything not just the image...

I did, when I quote that post the image he posted is all that displays.

Little Mons†er;231563237 said:
Enticing console wars, that's whats wrong with it

How was that console wars though? I saw no mention of those, just people predicting a game would flop.

The quotes just seemed like added extra humour to me, I have seen this done countless times on GAF before. Anyway, no point in any further derailing.

There's another factor that he was well-prepared to post that.

Twice, even, as I found the same post in another thread.

So glad it worked out for guerrilla.

I mean, horizons whole premise is bizarre. Can't imagine what that was like pitching it to Sony.

So guerrilla is pretty much set for the next 6 or 7 years.

Maybe longer than that. Aloy could really become a gaming icon. She already has a pretty massive female gamer following for a new character.

sirronoh

Well done to both Horizon and Zelda!

Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Nioh, Horizon, Zelda, and soon Nier -- incredible start to the year!

SgtCobra

Up to a certain level, yes.

Of course not but a higher potential for high sales (great is subjective).
The quality of the game itself also needs to be of a certain degree, I see some people ITT attributing these sales only due to the fact that the PS4 has a higher install base. Of course it's one of the factors but let's not forget that not every exclusive PS4 game sets the charts on fire.

How so?

I'm not surprised it's doing well. Anecdotal of course, but a lot of friends I got with PS4s who only buy the annual sports titles, Call of Duty and the odd Grand Theft Auto when they come out. Basically they don't buy any of the Playstation exclusives really, but even they were hyped by Horizon and got it. Could be a big title for Sony.

Oh ffs.

From 'Sony is sending Horizon to die' to 'this was expected due to user base'.

Some Zelda fans just can't help dissing on Horizon, as shown by the pathetic trolling done in both the HZD threads and the gifs posted in the Zelda threads (for no particular reason I might add).

HZD is a great game on PS4 and is doing great, Zelda is a great game on Switch and WiiU and is doing great - it's a Great time to be gaming.

Was it so hard?
Nah dude sometimes it feels like something has to fail spectacularly while the other succeed for people to feel any sense of satisfaction

Donos

I did, when I quote that post the image he posted is all that displays.

How was that console wars though? I saw no mention of those, just people predicting a game would flop.

The quotes just seemed like added extra humour to me, I have seen this done countless times on GAF before. Anyway, no point in any further derailing.

It was harmless and harsh on the ban but i understand the mods because posts as such can derail threads right from the beginning. And even though it maybe wasn't thought out to be console wars material, it still is and will be used as that from ppl from "both side" and just fuel the flames.

I also said in the Pal week 8 thread that Zelda would be infront of HZD but then again i expected 120.000+ Switch sales with nearly 100 % of them getting Zelda.

EmiPrime

It was harmless and harsh on the ban but i understand the mods because posts as such can derail threads right from the beginning. And even though it maybe wasn't thought out to be console wars material, it still is and will be used as that from ppl from "both side".

I don't think it falls under console wars but it does create a toxic atmosphere IMO. People should be able to post freely on here without worrying about fanatics compiling text documents of posts ready to paste into topics as soon as they pop up.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think it falls under console wars but it does create a toxic atmosphere IMO. People should be able to post freely on here without worrying about fanatics compiling text documents of posts ready to paste into topics as soon as they pop up.
The arbitrariness of this rule being enforced makes you think it doesn't exist. In another thread you had several posters go through another person's entire post history (unrelated to the current topic) to find posts that "proves he hates Zelda" and nothing happened. (In addition to piling up after this big reveal.)

This is a (albeit limited) sales report compared to GAF's predictions, which is often posted in other contexts. One thing I've seen over and over again is the thread that predicted PS4 will be a failure and Sony will exit the console business.

It would be good if it's more clear if all this post history shenanigans outside of the thread you're in is off limits or if pseudonymousing is required or if they may not at all be posted, which is a reversal from years of reading this site.

I don't mind it. I always find it amusing when someone gets destroyed by their post history. You can post freely, but I like the accountability.

EmiPrime

The arbitrariness of this rule being enforced makes you think it doesn't exist. In another thread you had several posters go through another person's entire post history (unrelated to the current topic) to find posts that "proves he hates Zelda" and nothing happened. (In addition to piling up after this big reveal.)

This is a (albeit limited) sales report compared to GAF's predictions, which is often posted in other contexts. One thing I've seen over and over again is the thread that predicted PS4 will be a failure and Sony will exit the console business.

It would be good if it's more clear if all this post history shenanigans outside of the thread you're in is off limits or if pseudonymousing is required or if they may not at all be posted, which is a reversal from years of reading this site.

Yeah I don't know how it falls under the rules. I'm just voicing my opinion on such behaviour; I don't like it at all.

Kill3r7

GG Horizon. Well deserved.

Interesting factoid, the first Tallneck trophy is at around 55% complete. That is really impressive considering how most people play games. FWIW, it takes about 2.5-3 hours to reach the first Tallneck.

GG Horizon. Well deserved.

Interesting factoid, the first Tallneck trophy is at around 55% complete. That is really impressive considering how most people play games. FWIW, it takes about 2.5-3 hours to reach the first Tallneck.

Took me 6 hours to reach my first tall neck lol.

Lifeline

Whaaaaaaat, crow posts are no longer allowed? But they're always my favorite part.

On topic, I'm starting to feel better about missing out on getting the switch, with hardware issues and low sales we'll see a second revision and price drop sooner than later. A good price drop during the Holidays will definitely get me to jump in.

Anyone know what No Mans Sky UK launch numbers were?

c0de

The quality of the game itself also needs to be of a certain degree, I see some people ITT attributing these sales only due to the fact that the PS4 has a higher install base. Of course it's one of the factors but let's not forget that not every exclusive PS4 game sets the charts on fire.

Then again many not "stellar" games sell extra ordinary well, like the first watch_dogs.

"This was expected due to userbase."

Get outta here. People trying to pretend this was expected for a new IP launch post numbers and chart release.

As if every game, let alone a new IP, that has good critical reception sells well enough to outsell the reason for owning another system.

You can think Horizon will open well but let's not pretend that things like best new Sony IP launch this gen are guaranteed.

--

Grats to GG. Horizons best game I played this gen. Well deserved.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
IMO the reason HZD sold so well, is because it was heavily marketed.
Of course having good reviews and user impressions, as far as I can tell, only helps.

When the sequel to HZD sells well, it's more indicative of the quality of the first game.

And because I think the game is high quality that's only good for this franchise.

Lifeline

Took me 6 hours to reach my first tall neck lol.

I'm 10 hours in and I'm right next to the first tallneck location, still have a bunch of side quests and missions to do around it before I go in there.

I think it took me 8 hours to get out of the first map. There's just so much stuff to do and since sidequests only show up on the map once your close enough, I'm obsessed about checking every part of the map before moving on.

dabig2

Wall of shame posts are pretty much the entire reason this forum even does prediction threads. Then again I'm mostly an OT guy so I don't know how it's treated gaming side. Regardless, I question if the ban...was justified.

Anyways, stellar launch for GG. Hope they all get their bonuses cause they deserve it and then some. Good launch for Zelda/Switch, but a little under what I thought would be a 6 figure launch (100K+). I guess the UK still has its preferences for now.

Top Bottom