• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL PS3 Sells 1 Million

nofi

Send in the cats if old...

PAL PS3 Sells 1 Million

Sony has spoken exclusively to MCV this week about its robust PlayStation 3 launch – offering an official sales update and a unique insight into its software strategy for Q4.

The console was launched on March 23rd and has sailed past the one million milestone in Europe and other PAL territories in under ten weeks.

David Reeves, SCEE president, chose MCV to stress that the figure is for sell-through rather than sell-in and hugely impressive in a historical context. “Early last week we went through the one million mark on PS3. And we did that in nine and a half weeks,” he confirmed.

“That was faster than both PS2 and PSOne. And I think that the analysts out there will also realise that it’s faster than our brothers and sisters in the competitive world.”

In terms of software sales, Reeves claimed that around two million units of first party software have been sold into the channel, with Resistance: Fall of Man notching up around 600,000 units and Motorstorm edging past the 500,000 mark.

Source.

nofi

What does sell-through mean? Does that mean to the shops or from the shops to the customers?

Either way, it's a million, and it's faster than the two previous consoles.

kaleii

nofilter said:
And we did that in nine and a half weeks

91_2Weeks.jpg

Whee!

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
nofilter said:
What does sell-through mean? Does that mean to the shops or from the shops to the customers?

Either way, it's a million, and it's faster than the two previous consoles.

One way they've sold a million to customers. The other way it might have sold slower than PS1 and PS2 but they shipped a million faster (which means nothing).

The way hes dancing around words makes me think its shipped.

David Reeves, SCEE president, chose MCV to stress that the figure is for sell-through rather than sell-in

Oh.

medrew

sell-through means sold to customer, sell-in is sold to the retailer.

That's the traditional sense anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
superbank said:
One way they've sold a million to customers. The other way it might have sold slower than PS1 and PS2 but they shipped a million faster (which means nothing).

The way hes dancing around words makes me think its shipped.

he specifically says 'sold through'. Even for sales-age, that should be enough clarity.

Faster than PS2 is good news, and perhaps gives people some context before they scream down Sony for failing so badly. PS2 was slow out of the blocks too. That did OK in the end.

mrklaw said:
he specifically says 'sold through'. Even for sales-age, that should be enough clarity.

Faster than PS2 is good news, and perhaps gives people some context before they scream down Sony for failing so badly. PS2 was slow out of the blocks too. That did OK in the end.

I believe it's faster becuase there were shortages, I also think there are no shortages for the ps3 and it's most likely winding down over there.

nofi

medrew said:
sell-through means sold to customer, sell-in is sold to the retailer.

That's the traditional sense anyway.

Cool, so they've sold a million PAL PS3s to customers. Wonder how many are shipped, not that it's really relevant to this thread.

Wollan

Wow, the sales of Resistance & MotorStorm was pretty strong, I was expecting 400k max for any single of them. Resistance was pretty near 700k worldwide right before EU launch, I guess 1.5 million copies sold can't be far off.

Taker666

So 1,000,000 sold

600,000 launch week (according to Sony)
120,000 second week (80% drop in the UK extrapolated across Europe)

Leaves 280,000 sold in the last 8 weeks

=35,000 per week

Taker666 said:
So 1,000,000 sold

=35,000 per week

It's fuzzy math but the point is valid. It's good they've reached the milestone, but the implications for the past 8 weeks across all of Europe and Australia isn't the most positive thing in the world.

Taker666 said:
So 1,000,000 sold

=35,000 per week

Ok. So it is not so good after all, but better then Japan.

Wollan

'Two million first party software sold'. Excluding the total of 1.1m that R:FoM & MS does I guess the rest means Genji + PSN titles.

nofi

Sorry, for some reason the rest of the article didn't copy and paste:

He also admitted that there has been something of a lull in releases since launch, but promised that “our big bangs will be arriving around September and October; Phil [Harrison] will be announcing these at a later date, but they will probably be in the arena of social gaming as well as more traditional games”.

Reeves was also bullish about take-up of the online service, revealing that around 460,000 gamers have already registered to the PlayStation Network.

But he refused to be drawn on any comparisons with Microsoft’s rival service.

“I don’t feel we’re competing with Xbox Live in any way. We’re in a different stadium. And with the introduction of Home at Christmas, we’re going in a completely different direction with something very entertaining.

“We don’t have our eyes on the competition in any way.”

What are the 'social' games in bold then, assuming Singstar is out this month?

Edit - Home. Duh.

GhaleonEB

Taker666 said:
So 1,000,000 sold

=35,000 per week
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. It's a great figure in total, but it's so front-loaded because of the excellent launch week. I wonder how it's trending now - if it sold most of that 280k in the 3rd, 4th week or if it stabilized earlier.

Regardless, we now have the WW total.

rostocker said:
America: 1.272.000
Japan: 0.910.737
Europe: 1.000.000

All: 3.182.737
Remarkable how even those sales are accross the territories.

After the first week, sales have been piss-poor considering the dominance Sony had in the past. The console is routinely out sold week on week (most comprehensively by Wii) and software charts don't paint a pretty picture.

Wollan

nofilter said:
What are the 'social' games in bold then, assuming Singstar is out this month?
I guess he meant LittleBigPlanet mainly though I guess you could put Home in this category (your very own Tekken Bowl MMO).

The Jason

I wonder how long it will take the PS3 to surpass the 360 in global sales?

Thread derailing in five, four, three, two

"Europe and other PAL territories"

That's pretty ambiguous as a hell of a lot of countries use PAL variants. Of course I'm not sure the PS3 is released in a lot of them.

GhaleonEB

The Jason said:
I wonder how long it will take the PS3 to overtake the 360 in global sales?

Thread derailing in five, four, three, two
360 is outselling it by enough of a margin in the US to make up for Japan and then some. So it all comes down to European sales - and it takes a long time at 35k per week, minus 360 sales, to total ~6m units. But the holidays / year end totals should be interesting.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'd love to know which regoins contributed to this, because I can tell that from up here, not alot of Dutch people helped out with that figure...

I'm guessing the UK...

Taker666

35,000 per week in Europe
22,500 per week in the US (according to NPD April)
9,030 per week in Japan (average of the last 4 weeks)
---------
66,530 worldwide per week

So just under

295,000 worldwide per month (31 days).

That's very good, until you realise that 600,000 of those were during the launch week.

It's still better than other territories though, UK saves Sony confirmed?

Wollan

Skilotonn said:
I'd love to know which regoins contributed to this, because I can tell that from up here, not alot of Dutch people helped out with that figure...

Wasn't Benelux one of it's best selling regions?

Skilotonn said:

I'm guessing the UK...

PS3 is already coming with a free game in the UK, or without a game for £25 off, so it may be doing better here

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Taker666 said:
35,000 per week in Europe
22,500 per week in the US (according to NPD April)
9,030 per week in Japan (average of the last 4 weeks)
---------
66,530 worldwide per week

So just under

295,000 worldwide per month (31 days).
that's horrible. :lol

Multiply 295,000 by 60 (60 months in five years, and you get this:

In 5 years, that would put them at about 17.7 million wordwide

Top Bottom