• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL version of Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies to be English only

Glass Rebel

Credit goes to CaVaYeRo

Bad news for many fans: game will come out in English only. No Spanish, no German, no Italian, no French. This is really sad and like killing the game here in Spain.

Motohide Eshiro (producer) confirmed this at E3.

Capcom re-confirms decision for Europe.

I wish there was a last option for Nintendo to retail-publish/translate this. Localization was excellent for previous versions, and it's obviously a crucial part of the game. I wouldn't mind waiting one year more...

Well... as someone in the UK... can't say I care... that much. Sorry guys, years of waiting for French, Spanish and German translations I'm never going to see has embittered me.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Not surprised. They didn't translate Miles Edgeworth Investigations because they said Apollo Justice sales were too low to even bother.

Kurtofan

Kind of sad but oh well.

Don't expect the game to sell well at all here (France)

The translation was good too :/

At least Europe won't have to wait months for a release then. The situation was similar for AAI, which was the first AA game to be English-only in Europe (also the first to not be published by Nintendo), but at least we got it the same week as the US. The EU releases for AA 1 to 4 were a total mess in Europe.

Glass Rebel

Well... as someone in the UK... can't say I care... that much. Sorry guys, years of waiting for French, Spanish and German translations I'm never going to see has embittered me.

Even as a Swiss resident I only care about the English localization but this will just damage sales in the regions where English isn't as widespread.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
At least Europe won't have to wait months for a release then. The situation was similar for AAI, which was the first AA game to be English-only in Europe (also the first to not be published by Nintendo), but at least we got it the same week as the US. The EU releases for AA 1 to 4 were a total mess in Europe.

Yeah it was a mess.

Sucks for people that can't read english, but in the end, money talks.

Kurtofan

Honest question, since I don't live in an English-speaking country : is this a big deal?

Outside of Dutch speaking regions and Scandinavia and maybe German speaking countries, people aren't so fluent in English so yes, for a text based game this is a big deal which means the game is going to bomb.

El-Suave

Good, I'd probably have the German version forced on me in Germany otherwise. Don't know how good the translations are but the English localisation has always been superb.

Majukun

uk version was always the best of the bunch,and i'm italian

so i don't really care,i would have played it in english anyway

Omikaru

Speaking as a selfish monoglot, if this means the game isn't delayed in the UK then I'm pretty happy. Delays are shit, and we've traditionally got them while we wait for the translations for European markets, even though the game is perfectly ready to be played in the UK. They are even shittier when the console and digital stores are region locked and we can't even import. Though I do understand that some people are annoyed by this. Planning for other European languages should be the norm for releasing products over here, and where companies don't do that the market should react accordingly.

But if it's delay and have it in other languages or English only but get it at the same time as America, I know what my choice is.

Lusankya

I am German and I don't really care. But it means that many Germans, Frenchmen, Italians and Spaniards won't buy it so overall the European sales will be lacking.

Jubern

Yeah, it's definitely killing it in France too.

Ace Attorney would never had caught any kind of attention in France if it hadn't been translated in French in the first place. Then again, it was also thanks to Nintendo who handled distribution and marketing duties on the first episodes, and Capcom kind of dropped the ball afterwards.
Anyway I saw a lot of people not that big on games playing the the first games, then not giving a shit about AAI despite Edgey being popular, just because the game was in English.

Bye bye sales.

Glass Rebel

Honest question, since I don't live in an English-speaking country : is this a big deal?

It is a pretty big deal. France, Spain, Italy and to a lesser extent Germany, Austria and Switzerland aren't, on the average, enough fluent in English for Ace Attorney games. In Scandinavia it isn't such a huge issue but unless they're only planning to sell to the portion of the fanbase that played the games in English anyway they're sending this game out to die. Coupled with the digital-only release it basically kills any chance this game had with younger teenagers and children.

I always play my games in English, but not so long ago I decided to replay AA1 in Spanish out of curiosity and to check the quality of the localization. It was really good. This is a damn shame.

As it has been said, releasing a game in English is sending it to die in Spain, especially if it's a bloody text-based aventure... Fans are going to be disappointed, Ace Attorney has a moderately decent following here. Capcom are keeping it real cheap with this one. :/

also

Banned
This release is really half assed. No retail version, English only... It's like they want the series to slide into oblivion.
I checked and they went English only for Ace Attorney Investigations, too. AAI and AA DD are both published by Capcom (as opposed to Nintendo), so I guess I should have expected this.
Why don't they just release the English version first and the localized versions later? They did this with the German version of the first game.

Yeah, it's definitely killing it in France too.

Ace Attorney would never had caught any kind of attention in France if it hadn't been translated in French in the first place. Then again, it was also thanks to Nintendo who handled distribution and marketing duties on the first episodes, and Capcom kind of dropped the ball afterwards.
Anyway I saw a lot of people not that big on games playing the the first games, then not giving a shit about AAI despite Edgey being popular, just because the game was in English.

Bye bye sales.
From the little I know about France and the French gaming market I agree that a French localization would seem like a good investment. France is probably the most 'japanophile' market outside of Japan itself and not necessarily the most open to languages outside of their own. Releasing it just in English is a wasted opportunity over there.

-Amon-

I'm Italian and i play games with English text / audio every time i have the chance.

First because it helps me not to lose my ( albeit limited ) knowledge of the language.

Second because the vast majority of translations and dubs are vastly inferior to the original.

having said that, i find it really sad that today young people in continental europe have problems understanding English...

Daedardus

Keep in mind they don't care about 'sending a game to die'. It's digital only, so they don't have to produce units for those other countries, making this a lot less risky. They won't gain much income due to this, but they at least cut the cost to boost the profit, how bad of a practice it may be :(.

Phazon

I live in Belgium, so I'm used to English games anyway.

But it's sad for other Europeans who aren't able to understand English very well.

I still take a English and digital only release instead of no release at all, however.

Bricky

At least we in Europe are getting the game. I guess that they offered localization and a physical release to actually make this profitable or at least break even in the west and that is still WAY better than getting nothing at all.

(But I might be biased, since I was gonna play this in English anyway and I guess most of the people posting here will).

Taker666

I can see why many will be upset...but frankly there have been a number of games I've wanted to play in Europe that are in English or Japanese only but were never released here.

Better to release a game in English only in Europe..than not at all.

Glass Rebel

I feel that most are missing the bigger picture here. Just don't act surprised when Capcom announces that they won't localize AA6.

From the little I know about France and the French gaming market I agree that a French localization would seem like a good investment. France is probably the most 'japanophile' market outside of Japan itself and not necessarily the most open to languages outside of their own. Releasing it just in English is a wasted opportunity over there.

Definitely. France is about 50% of the European manga market, Italy is also strong and Germany has a large famale manga-reading audience.

It makes literally no sense to skip on these and will drastically affect European sales.

Does this kind of set a precedent for Capcom's expectations for this game (won't sell enough to pay for translation)?

Or is it the European fans fault for wanting the game in the same year as the American counterparts? (I was personally LTTP with Ace Attorney so largely unaffected by the delays but I understand they irritate a lot of peopel)

they said Apollo Justice sales were too low to even bother.
Maybe the Apollo justice sales would have been better if Trials and Tribulations was released first...and likewise maybe the Trials and Tribulations sales would have been better off too...

I can understand why NOE went for that order (they started translating Apollo Justice before the DS port of T&T was released and decided not to pause the localisation or leave the completed games on the shelf).

Shahadan

I might be wrong but doesn't Canada/Quebec law force publishers to translate their games in French now?
Then again maybe not when it's digital only. And they wouldn't use it for Europe anyway I guess.

Even as a Swiss resident I only care about the English localization but this will just damage sales in the regions where English isn't as widespread.

I know, I can't help being ignorant and selfish in this regard. It's often frustrating when you're in the UK and there's a copy in America that is perfectly coherent to you.

Lusankya

I know, I can't help being ignorant and selfish in this regard. It's often frustrating when you're in the UK and there's a copy in America that is perfectly coherent to you.

However in most cases the delay for the European release has absolutely nothing to do with the translation into more languages.

My last question about this is.

Its a DD only "hardcore" game right? that audience speaks English well enough to even know and maybe buy this game right?

So that audience that we fear for are they even going to notice/care that the game is not in their language?

Top Bottom