• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL version of Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies to be English only

Nakayumi

I don't see how people get so frustrated over this. The costs of translation into 4 different languages are obviously not worth it, seeing it is a niche franchise already. I mean, there's a reason they went all-digital for this one.

Aside from that, are there really that many people who want to play this in their own language? Don't the jokes and things get lost in translation? I kind of understand that the French, Germans, Spanish, and Italians like to play/watch/read things in their own language. But the small niche who plays this series can expected to be fairly capable of playing the game in English no? Don't want to sound like an elitist ass saying 'everyone should just learn English', but I don't think it's that much of a issue really.

Lusankya

... I don't see how it can't be?

It's quite evident when you see there is often no delay for multi-language titles in Europe or on the other hand english-only titles are still delayed.

Also it's not like French/German/Italian/Spanish translators absolutely have to wait for the English translation, they can translate it from Japanese simultaneously.

Kurtofan

I don't see how people get so frustrated over this. The costs of translation into 4 different languages are obviously not worth it, seeing it is a niche franchise already. I mean, there's a reason they went all-digital for this one.

Aside from that, are there really that many people who want to play this in their own language? Don't the jokes and things get lost in translation? I kind of understand that the French, Germans, Spanish, and Italians like to play/watch/read things in their own language. But the small niche who plays this series can expected to be fairly capable of playing the game in English no? Don't want to sound like an elitist ass saying 'everyone should just learn English', but I don't think it's that much of a big deal really.

Jokes in Japanese are also adapted into English, you know. All the translations are made from the Japanese version.

And the game could be more than a niche game if it was translated, not translating it dooms to niche status, since people won't understand it.

Glass Rebel

I know, I can't help being ignorant and selfish in this regard. It's often frustrating when you're in the UK and there's a copy in America that is perfectly coherent to you.

Even if it affects the sales of the game and jeopardizes future releases in the series? It really isn't hard to see how this is a terrible decision even if you get to play it a bit earlier.

My last question about this is.

Its a DD only "hardcore" game right? that audience speaks English well enough to even know and maybe buy this game right?

So that audience that we fear for are they even going to notice/care that the game is not in their language?

I assume there is a good portion of the non-native fanbase that has a good enough grasp of the English language to carry them through the game but the except for Ace Attorney Investigations every single release has received a French translation and it's practically impossible that it won't affect sales. It's one of the most text-heavy games on the system. Unless they have adjusted their expectations accordingly this will bomb hard for them.

daxy

Doesn't affect me thankfully. When presented with the option to play in Dutch I avoid it. Passed on the last 3DS Layton because it didn't have English VO.

Is English really not that widespread in Europe? Perhaps it's just the Netherlands then where many, in particular among the youth, seem to have at least a basic understanding of the language.

As an aside, it irks me that in the Netherlands kids' shows are lately being shown in Dutch rather than in English with Dutch subtitles, as was more usual in the past (most other/adult English programming is English with Dutch subs). That played a large role in picking up English for me personally and I imagine is a learning experience for any. Now this is just anecdotal observation, but I know that in Germany practically everything is dubbed and, again perhaps coincidence, I've not met many Germans that speak English well, even the younger generations.

Zornica

Banned
Speaking as a German, this is very good. German translation sucked donkey balls.

you're wrong.
Nintendos localisation efforts have been great the for last couple of years. I can't speak for games outside the "nintendo eco system", because I rarely get to play them, but there were quite a few instances where, for example, the german localisation was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the english one, little kings story being the prime example.

I don't get why so many gamers all over europe tend to hate their native language in favour of english. Is it because it's foreign and therefore exotic/exciting?

@topic: It sucks.

daxgame

Aside from that, are there really that many people who want to play this in their own language? Don't the jokes and things get lost in translation? I kind of understand that the French, Germans, Spanish, and Italians like to play/watch/read things in their own language. But the small niche who plays this series can expected to be fairly capable of playing the game in English no? Don't want to sound like an elitist ass saying 'everyone should just learn English', but I don't think it's that much of a issue really.

yeah sure, except the first 4 chapters got out in all languages, when there was even rampant piracy. I know, serie is on decline but it's fucking digital download. They just get cash for every "copy" sold. And yes, my girlfriend won't be able to play it anymore and she was really looking forward to it, imagine if this game was done by an american studio and released english only in Japan, they would fart on it. Come on, be real for a moment. This game is heavy-text, otherwise I wouldn't even care.

Capcom, why the hell are you so lazy?

First you cancel Megaman Legends 3 (which has been kind of redeemed by including Megaman in SSB4), now you won't even localize AA5 into other languages?

Seriously, please put some effort into this.

I loved the German translations of the previous AA games.

CaVaYeRo

Maybe something happened between Nintendo and Capcom? I mean, they usually picked up Capcom biggest products during Wii-DS era, and published themselves. Last game was REvelations for 3DS, found it weird they didn't publish HD version (maybe due to it being multiplat), now this...

I mean, this is no Zack & Wiki, and Nintendo is pushing eShop hard. I still have some little hope they'll pick it up for 2014...

Zornica

Banned
Maybe something happened between Nintendo and Capcom? I mean, they usually picked up Capcom biggest products during Wii-DS era, and published themselves. Last game was REvelations for 3DS, found it weird they didn't publish HD version (maybe due to it being multiplat), now this....

no, it was Monster Hunter 3G U.

giapel

Somebody at Capcom must hate that this game is being developped. Can't explain this otherwise. And yeah, translations cost but the european market is multilingual. If you want sales, you have to translate.

PS: blaming translations for delays on Japanese games is silly

M4kk0

Neo Member
Hey there!

Well, let me introduce myself at first. I'm M4kk0, I've been a long time here but never posted because... Well, to be honest, I didn't remember I had an account 'til yesterday.

I'm a spanish user member of the NextN staff. Due to the decision of bringing to Europe the new Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies ONLY in English, we have decided to create a platform to reivindicate what we think we deserve.

What do we want? A Multi5 version of the new Ace Attorney.

How are we trying to get it? First of all, the core of the platform is a Twitter account called @PhoenixWrightM5, there we are spreading the hashtag #AceAttorneyMulti5, as you can see, by the moment most of the supporters are from Spain and our main goal is having supporters from all Europe!! There are italian, french and some german followers too, but we need more!! That's the reason why I'm here, I need your help to do this!!

We have created an Official Thread in Nextn to follow each step the platform does (after that post I'm writing here, I'll notice that in the OT), if you wanna see it (it's updated whenever there are news about the platform and it's translated into English), I'll let the link here:

http://www.nextn.es/forum/3ds/post-oficial-phoe…

We were about to make a request using change.org, but just today, thanks to a French follower, I've been able to talk with the people behind that request:

Multi-5 Petition

There you can see it's a petition in four languages, soon we'll translate it into Italian so it will be Multi-5, I think this will happen tomorrow.

So well, all fans of this Ace Attorney, please join us in order to reach our goal! There's no guarantee of success but if we don't try we'll never get anything!!

hp3y.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't know where to do it! Thank you and sorry for the possible mistakes, English is not my language and I try to do the best I can.

Miburou

While that sucks, I hope they change the font at least. The English font at Capcom's E3 booth was very blurry (it was displayed on a 3DS XL).

Having played all AA games in Japanese (as well as the first one in English), this as well as AA vs PL might push me toward getting a Japanese 3DS.

Top Bottom