• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panel De Pon DS , Super Paper Mario screens

king zell

Panel De Pon DS

h-104_67429_p01.jpg.jpg
h-104_67429_p02.jpg.jpg

h-104_67429_p03.jpg.jpg
h-104_67429_p04.jpg.jpg

h-104_67429_p05.jpg.jpg
h-104_67429_p06.jpg.jpg

h-104_67429_p07.jpg.jpg
h-104_67429_p08.jpg.jpg

h-104_67429_p09.jpg.jpg
h-104_67429_p10.jpg.jpg

Super Paper Mario

h-104_67428_070221pamario.jpg.jpg

h-104_67428_070221pamario02.jpg.jpg

h-104_67428_070221pamario03.jpg.jpg

h-104_67428_070221pamario04.jpg.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. I have to admit I wouldn't mind some licensing of the Panel De Pon, especially with some updated Yoshi's Island DS stuff. That would rock.

2. Super Paper Mario - GOTY. Seriously. (and these show the confirmed 16*9 mode)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The UI, from left to right:

Hit Points, Score, Coins

and in the 3d screen, that rainbow thing is your timer. You only get like 10s in 3d to solve a puzzle and then you have to let it refill.*

*Only Mario can go in 3D.

leehom

Paper Mario looks great. I wasn't looking forward to any games except Bleach and No More Heroes...but now it looks like I've found a third. I hope Paper Mario doesn't end up like New Super Mario Bros. NSMB didn't impress me.

gururoji

I gotta say I'm sad to see what looks like a complete lack of old Panel de Pon characters...hopefully they bring some of the music back at least. Looks like they're "skinning" it in Q Entertainment ways, though...certainly could be worse.

so PdP is going to be a 90-degree flip game like Hotel Dusk? interesting; it looks like we might be seeing more and more of those on the DS

Panel de Pon DS: No characters again, like the GBA one? Too bad... at least it does have some style to it, but still, it'd be nice to see a character theme.

Super Paper Mario... what more positive things can be said about how amazing this game looks that haven't already... not many. It looks unbelievable, and that's probably an understatement. :)

NPC

Wow, both look totally awesome. I hope we'll be able to play SPM with a GC controller though... anyone have any info on the controls/controller?

Jcgamer60

leehom said:
Paper Mario looks great. I wasn't looking forward to any games except Bleach and No More Heroes...but now it looks like I've found a third. I hope Paper Mario doesn't end up like New Super Mario Bros. NSMB didn't impress me.

I know how you feel...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
leehom said:

If it ends up exactly like NSMB, it will be the first great console Mario like it was meant to be played in almost 15 years. NSMB wasn't perfect, but it was far from unimpressive. It had some nice mechanics, ok level design, fun music, and a couple awesome power-ups, one of which is revisited in this title.

Either way, SPM is the GOTY.

DMczaf

Super Paper Mario looks ****ing great. Hopefully its not short (how long did it take to beat Paper Mario GC?)

mj1108

Zilch said:
Can someone explain the appeal of Super Paper Mario?

It's awesomeness will be so awesome that no words can actually describe how awesome it will be.

Zilch said:
It looks like an *extremely cheap* Flash game.

You look like an extremely cheap flash game.

Zilch

Banned
History?

I wasn't trying to troll, it just seems to me that from what I've seen it isn't up to Nintendo's standards for 2D/sprites. Sorry to offend.

Zilch said:

You are not DESERVING to be in the presence of this. It is you who is not worthy. It is you who has no appeal.

Jcgamer60

Zilch said:

Nostalgia mostly i would say. We are all just praying for super awesome old school mario with a new look.

Zilch said:

I love the way it looks like oldschool Mario from the side, but at high detail... except when it's being purposefully retro and directly reusing old sprites. Then there are the strange additions like tree leaves being made of squares, and strange formulas and symbols hanging out in the sky. Then there's that it all twists on its side to become a 3D area rather than 2D.

ethelred

Jcgamer60 said:
Nostalgia mostly i would say. We are all just praying for super awesome old school mario with a new look.

It's not just nostalgia. And this isn't going to be a traditional old school Mario, anyway, so anyone going in expecting that is going to be disappointed.

I'm interested because it looks to have fantastic 2D platforming, because the artistic style and presentation of the game are fantastic, because it looks extremely innovative from a gameplay perspective (the manipulation of 2D/3D to solve puzzles and explore areas), the one boss fight the game's showed off looks great, and because the team making it is solid platinum.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Jcgamer60 said:
Yeah, but i know what he means. Super mario RPG is one of my all time favourite snes games. Nintendo + square ftw.

Oh, see I haven't played any of the paper marios so I wouldn't know, but 1 thing i do know is that game was teh awesome! I still play it sometimes till this day

Jcgamer60

ethelred said:
It's not just nostalgia. And this isn't going to be a traditional old school Mario, anyway, so anyone going in expecting that is going to be disappointed.

I'm interested because it looks to have fantastic 2D platforming, because the artistic style and presentation of the game are fantastic, because it looks extremely innovative from a gameplay perspective (the manipulation of 2D/3D to solve puzzles and explore areas), the one boss fight the game's showed off looks great, and because the team making it is solid platinum.

To me, it looks like traditional Mario, with a few twists here and there( i could swear i seen that 3rd screenshot many times before.. only with more simplistic graphics). Ofcourse there will be those rpg touches they added in and boss fights. Hopefully, they will be enjoyable.

NotWii

Banned
What the hell happened to Panel De Pon?
It looks so flat and plain, even the blocks look weird.

I liked the clean approach of the GBA version
dr-mario-puzzle-league-20050930000217409.jpg

You could customise the graphics a lot as well.

Super Paper Mario looks great in widescreen!

Jcgamer60

g35twinturbo said:
Oh, see I haven't played any of the paper marios so I wouldn't know, but 1 thing i do know is that game was teh awesome! I still play it sometimes till this day

One of the only games i plan on purchasing on virtual console, when available. :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Seems like the debate here lately is whether or not it will disappoint:

1. Those wanting old-school greatness
2. Those wanting RPG greatness
3. Nobody that is honored enough to be graced by its presence.

WTF PDP looks nasty! but I`m happy they made it sideways. What the hell are those different blocks though? (arrow block?) I`m glad that they`re doing something different with it and touch controls should be hot!

SPM, widescreen really makes a world of difference!

Top Bottom