• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panic Button Needs Time To Refine DOOM Eternal On Switch, id Software Says It Won't Be A "Huge" Delay.

Fbh

Makes sense, it's not a true $60 switch port unless it's $30 or less on every other platform, so they have to wait.

Seriously though, I guess this is fine. From my understanding Doom 2016 got significantly better on Switch after some updates so hopefully this time around it's a better experience for Switch owners from the start.

Or my playthrough was done when the game was first available to buy, not a month later when they fixed it. It sounds like you waited to play it, because the "dips" happened constantly and were pretty significant. And it still can't handle The Lost Woods. That's not a "dip", that's an entire area of the game, and a pretty important one, that does not run properly.

This really is pointless back and forth though, let's leave it.
I think I started playing around April or so because I had trouble getting a screen protector at the time.

And yes, even post-patch it does have dips in the problematic areas but the majority of my experience was fine.

Still, I know there's no convincing to be had with your kinds of statements so yes, let's leave it. Cheers.

Enjay

Banned
You know what. I love this delay because they refrained from using the word polish (pr speak for "weve been dicking around instead of really working so now we have to crunch.")

What's so hard to understand here?
The fact that you compared the Switch to last gen?

It's much closer to an Xbox One.

Breath of the Wild doesn't even run at 30fps. I love my Switch, but let's face it, it's a glorified tablet.

Am I missing something? Because it runs at 30FPS pretty well with the patch.

I enjoy all my consoles so my bias is equal, but the Switch is less than a glorified tablet, it's a better version of a tablet.

Last edited:
The fact that you compared the Switch to last gen?

It's much closer to an Xbox One.

Am I missing something? Because it runs at 30FPS pretty well with the patch.

I enjoy all my consoles so my bias is equal, but the Switch is less than a glorified tablet, it's a better version of a tablet.
lmao no it's not, maybe in hardware feature sets but in terms of compute capability its firmly stuck in the 7th generation.

lmao no it's not, maybe in hardware feature sets but in terms of compute capability its firmly stuck in the 7th generation.
Not even remotely, but elaborate, because it makes no sense when you say "hardware feature sets" and then say "compute capability" because I see the latter and think of the processor, which is much closer to an Xbox One as I said.

What you're saying is more true about the Wii U, but saying the whole system is like a 360 isn't really accurate, even in portable mode it's above and beyond a 360.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

ultrazilla

I've got a feeling that Nintendo will let Panic Button overclock the Mariko for this game. Really excited to see actual Switch gameplay.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
hope so
i wanted that game so bad,

but i think the game is worse then 2016 so EH

BitDust

At this point I don't know how many are still waiting for this sequel on Switch, specially considering it isn't on the same level of DOOM 2016, not even close. Maybe if they make a port running at 60fps, then it could be somehow appealing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hell will probably freeze before it comes out on Switch. They said it wasn’t going to be an incredibly long wait too. I enjoyed playing through it already. I don’t know if I want it on Switch now.

I would have double dipped easy on this but Eternal was a huge let down. Maybe if for some reason I get the urge to replay it years down the road I'll get it cheap on the Switch. The gyro controls would definitely benefit the faster combat/movement of the game

Honestly I'm just impressed they get these games running on a handheld full stop.

Infact an argument can be made that they shouldn't, and infact can't really but, as someone who vividly remembers when Tetris on the first gameboy was new and impressive, I never fail to get a kick out of these ports.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Can you guys elaborate on the Eternal criticism? Curious as I'm really looking forward to playing the game, but haven't had the time to get into it yet.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Can you guys elaborate on the Eternal criticism? Curious as I'm really looking forward to playing the game, but haven't had the time to get into it yet.

I loved the action in 2016, but hated all the trappings surrounding it. The collectibles and challenges felt like a necessary diversion away from the core game play loop since they were tied to weapon/suit upgrades. It just really killed the flow of the game for me. Eternal cranks this up to 11.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

It's a divided game. It's an extension of Doom 2016 but it's a true sequel to the ideas of Doom. It's more of a character action game than an FPS.

Doom Eternal asks a lottttt from the player. There are mechanics on mechanics and it can be a bit much for some.

The arguments come from Doom being always about a simple premise of levels design and demon control.

That is still in Doom Eternal but it's elevated to a point where it's almost a chess match. Depending what demons are on screen you have to adapt your strstegy as you need to attack weak points and have a deeper form of crowd control.

The simplicity is basically gone. You will either love that or hate it.

Last edited:

nordique

I really liked doom eternal

it’s one of those games that you either loved more or disliked more than 2016

it’s harder and more challenging than 2016 and the ammo/melee component adds a new layer of difficulty

nordique

that sentence doesn’t make sense. Ironic because you’re ridiculing someone with a ridiculous statement.

we know the Tegra x1 in the switch is capable of 1TF (Nvidia flops), even if the chip in the switch clocked much lower; it’s more capable than you make it out to be.

the switch is a big step up from ps3/360 level, and it’s more impressive given how much less wattage it runs on that those electricity guzzlers. Modern architecture and shaders at that size are a big step up in and of itself, and in terms of actual raw performance, Its closer to half way between the 360 and the regular Xbox One than it is closer to the 360.

And it’s pretty incredible given it’s essentially a handheld that came out over 3 years ago, with a chip that’s already over 5 years old

Last edited:
that sentence doesn’t make sense. Ironic because you’re ridiculing someone with a ridiculous statement.

we know the Tegra x1 in the switch is capable of 1TF, even if the chip in the switch clocked much lower

the switch is a big step up from ps3/360 level, and it’s more impressive given how much less wattage it runs on that those electricity guzzlers. Modern architecture and shaders at that size are a big step up. Its more half way between the 360 gen and the Xbox One than it is closer to the 360 gen.

And it’s pretty incredible given it’s essentially a handheld that came out over 3 years ago
Wrong, the Tegra X1 is capable of 1.024TF at 1,000 Mhz running FP16. The Switch is running FP32 at 768Mhz which results in a GIGAflop figure of 393.2.

Don't quit your day job.

Last edited:

nordique

Wrong, the Tegra X1 is capable of 1.024TF at 1,000 Mhz running FP16. The Switch is running FP32 at 768Mhz which results in a GIGAflop figure of 393.2.

Don't quit your day job.

lol I won’t..

That’s an elementary way of contextualizing it, and if you understand those numbers as much as you perceive yourself to, you’ll agree it’s quite rudimentary

But if you must, feel free to continue to ridicule others and allow irony to have meaning to its definition

lol I won’t..

That’s an elementary way of contextualizing it, and if you understand those numbers as much as you perceive yourself to, you’ll agree it’s quite rudimentary

But if you must, feel free to continue to ridicule others and allow irony to have meaning to its definition
Feel free to continue being wrong, but don't take pride in being incorrect about things. This is an educational experience; let it wash over you.

Last edited:

H4ze

Eternal was crap

I am playing it at the moment, am like 8 hours in and its better in every aspect of the 2016 game for me. So please, tell me, how is it "crap"?

Your useless drive-by posting is even bigger crap, that's for sure.

Spukc

I am playing it at the moment, am like 8 hours in and its better in every aspect of the 2016 game for me. So please, tell me, how is it "crap"?

Your useless drive-by posting is even bigger crap, that's for sure.
Sorry let me rephrase what is said.

I think the game was fucking shit.
It was filled with tutorials.
When 2016 made fun of those.

It's bloody obvious that the music is no where near as good as 2016.

Suddenly we have a story ??

The worst part of doom 2016 was that retarded tower level where you suddenly are forced to jump.

Eternal... yeah lets make it mario 64 because that is obviously the best part.

Oh and make ammo very scarce because doom is all about being low on ammo.

Biggest let down this year. Now it you don't mind i will go back playing doom 2016.

I will give you one thing tho. Eternal runs great on a freaking intel NUC best optimized game i tried in a long time. shame the actual game is shit.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

There's a lot going on at any one time, basically. Not only do you need to be constantly on the move to avoid demons (many more than 2016) in big open arenas, but you need to juggle switching between different weapons, using different weapon mods, and different grenades, and you need to be using the chainsaw, flamethrower and glory kills at good times to gain the most resources back. There's some really brutal enemies and you often need to really use the arenas to your advantage, and also go for weak spots. Essentially, it's a far harder game than 2016, which was mostly handfuls of demons in arenas.

It took me a few hours to get into the swing of things, but once I "got it", I couldn't stop. The first part of the game is actually probably the roughest, because it kinda throws you in the deep end and you only have a few guns.

I imagine it'd be a horrible fucking time on a console though, especially a Switch, unless you turned the difficulty down.

H4ze

The worst part of doom 2016 was that retarded tower level where you suddenly are forced to jump.

Biggest let down this year. Now it you don't mind i will go back playing doom 2016.

I will give you one thing tho. Eternal runs great on a freaking intel NUC best optimized game i tried in a long time. shame the actual game is shit.

Okay, that's fine. Unfortunate that you did not like it, the parts you just descriped are actually what makes Eternal so much better for me. I really love the improved movement, the Dash and Double Jump just feel awesome to use for me.

The scarce ammo is not that much of a problem for me, since the first fuel stock of the chainsaw is refilling itself over time I have the feeling that I never really run out of ammo. The fast switching between the weapons to line up perfect kills has something very satisfying for me. :D

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Eh? The story is a direct continuation of the story in the first game. Did you forget all about Hayden, Pierce, VEGA..? There's just as much of it. You can completely ignore it again like a lot of people did with 2016. And the music is literally just more of the same Mick Gordon tracks.

The "let me tell you exactly how to kill this demon just before you fight it" was silly, though.

Last edited:

TheContact

RcRGm2FeBjLtrUvbcTq42h.jpg

They had to reduce the resolution a bit to get to to run on the Switch =\ I kid, I love the Switch

CrysisFreak

Banned

I feel similar even though I would express my thoughts differently because I'm not invested in the franchise lmao.
Fuck that ammo starvation it's boring.

Entroyp

lol I won’t..

I’m curious about your assumption about the Switch being close the the Xbone in computational performance.

All I can get is 768*2 * 256 = 393,216

and

Xbone is 14*64*2*853 = 1,528,576

I got the switch info from Eurogamer, what are we missing?

AV

I feel similar even though I would express my thoughts differently because I'm not invested in the franchise lmao.
Fuck that ammo starvation it's boring.

Give it a little longer, I know at the start it's the worst, but you get new guns pretty damn quickly and once you have enough, you'll never be totally out of ammo again.

Ulysses 31

Eh? The story is a direct continuation of the story in the first game. Did you forget all about Hayden, Pierce, VEGA..? There's just as much of it. You can completely ignore it again like a lot of people did with 2016. And the music is literally just more of the same Mick Gordon tracks.

The "let me tell you exactly how to kill this demon just before you fight it" was silly, though.
Did they ever explain how Doom Slayer went from the end of Doom 2016 to having his own space fortress at the start of Eternal? :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure:

Eternal seemed bent on demystifying Doomguy and having gamey levels with all the floating platforms, swing poles and Bowser castle obstacles.

AV

Did they ever explain how Doom Slayer went from the end of Doom 2016 to having his own space fortress at the start of Eternal? :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure:

Eternal seemed bent on demystifying Doomguy and having gamey levels with all the floating platforms, swing poles and Bowser castle obstacles.

Nope, there's a big gap in the lore, I always assumed DLC would fill it in. Or, the tale of Doomguy building a spaceship wasn't entertaining enough to tell.

angelic

Banned

I couldnt disagree more, the lore in Eternal is great, it ramps up the mystery of Doomguy and fills in a lot of gaps really well..it even pulls doom 64 into things. Have you finished it and read all the codex?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I thin Eternal sucks at beginning, but after some time is way better than 2016...

Ulysses 31

Nope, there's a big gap in the lore, I always assumed DLC would fill it in. Or, the tale of Doomguy building a spaceship wasn't entertaining enough to tell.
A throwaway line how it was a gift for becoming champion of Sentinals/Makyrs could've gone a long way. :p

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Didn’t they already announce Single Player DLC that covers the time jump between the two games?

Spukc

I thin Eternal sucks at beginning, but after some time is way better than 2016...
More people told me this., But after 6 hours i still didn't grab me I will give this game another go when i build my pc.

AV

Didn’t they already announce Single Player DLC that covers the time jump between the two games?

No idea, I haven't kept up with it. I don't do DLC personally.

More people told me this., But after 6 hours i still didn't grab me I will give this game another go when i build my pc.

That's half the game, I wouldn't bother if it doesn't have your attention by now. Took me a few levels before it clicked for me but I would just stop if you're halfway done and not enjoying it.

jonnyXx

Honestly the worst part about playing these games on the switch isn't even the downgraded graphics, it's the controls. I own Doom 2016 on the switch and the laggy controls and tiny sticks on the joycon suck.

The graphics look fine on the portable screen but controls are really sluggish compared to other versions of the game. I had to adjust my playstyle significantly. I still enjoyed my time with it playing on my commute to work and during my lunch break but switch is by far the worst place to play these games.

I'm really curious to see how Eternal will play and run on the switch since Doom 2016 was already struggling to run and really chugged at times.

Top Bottom