• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panzer Dragoon Gameplay || Nintendo Switch Trailer

This came outta nowhere, literally outta nowhere. Never played a Panzer Dragoon game before tho, so I'll definitely be picking this up.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

This came outta nowhere, literally outta nowhere. Never played a Panzer Dragoon game before tho, so I'll definitely be picking this up.

Panzer Dragoon Remake was announced late last year.

Do we know anything about the developer?

Forever Entertainment is the parent company. Newly formed Megapixel Studio inside FE are doing the development.

FE will also do Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

They're Polish company.

Old article: https://graczpospolita.pl/polacy-stworza-panzer-dragoon-remake-i-panzer-dragoon-ii-zwei-remake/

Last edited:
I'll need to see more, of course, but at the moment the aesthetic isn't right: everything is too busy and claustrophobic. A bigger concern is the gameplay in the trailer doesn't convey a false sense of speed; the dragon just seems to be floating over a large river.

I'll be hoping for the best, but given their past products, I won't be surprised if the game's publisher-developer doesn't manage to nail these remakes.

Last edited:
Out of left field for me as I never caught the initial reveal. Nintendo really killed it this year. I have no idea when I'm going to play all these games, most of what they showed are coming this year too.

Do we know anything about the developer?

Forever Entertainment. They've done quite a lot of mobile games but are a bit of an unknown quantity.

Many people, myself included, were a bit sceptical when they were given the reigns due to their lack of pedigree, but my scepticism has turned to cautious optimism now. Credit where credit's due, this trailer looks good to me.

After all the shit that's gone on with Shenmue 3 recently, it's great to see another abandoned Sega IP get some belated and much deserved goodwill and attention.

These companies just keep one upping each other lol, last night I said Square dominated E3 but that may just go to Nintendo now and I didn't think it would. This is a big deal.

Kazza

I'll need to see more, of course, but at the moment the aesthetic isn't right: everything is too busy and claustrophobic. A bigger concern is the gameplay in the trailer doesn't convey a false sense of speed; the dragon just seems to be floating over a large river.

I think it does look a little cluttered, compared to the original Saturn level at least. It would probably look better if they removed all those rocky outcrops and just left the ruins in. Then again, maybe the original had so view objects due to technical limitations rather than being the artistic vision of the creators. Those huge VDP2 planes the Saturn drew did give the level an expansive feel. I hope they do some decluttering.

I disagree about the speed though. The original was a pretty leisurely affair too (at least the first level was). One thing which may have made it look slow is the lack of lock-on targeting and shooting. This may be due to the player not being very good at the game, or just because they haven't programmed that bit in yet.

This is troublesome. Is this exclusive to the Switch?

Panzer Dragoon Remake was announced late last year.

Forever Entertainment is the parent company. Newly formed Megapixel Studio inside FE are doing the development.

FE will also do Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

They're Polish company.

Old article: https://graczpospolita.pl/polacy-stworza-panzer-dragoon-remake-i-panzer-dragoon-ii-zwei-remake/

They're remaking the first one and Zwei? Unbelievable. Are they exclusive to the Switch?

What about Orta and Panzer Dragoon Saga?

Kazza

Oh and, holy shit, what a surprise! I know we got the low key announcement a few months back, but I didn't expect to see it here and now! It makes you wonder why they even bothered with that announcement in the first place. It would have made hearing that music today even more incredible!

Kudos for getting straight into the gameplay, no cutscene bullshit.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this (the initial announcement made me nervous)

Kazza

Orta doesn't need a remake, it looks fantastic in 4K on the Xbox One X (although it could do with porting to other systems). Saga on the other hand could do with a little extra work. My optimistic self tells me that Sega just shoved the 2 rail shooter games (which are great in their own right) to this smaller developer and will be doing the Saga one in-house (or even better, getting Bluepoint to do it). As I said, that's my optimistic side speaking...

Kazza

Actually, after watching the trailer again, there does seem to be some lock-on shooting action going on, only they're missing the targeting sound, plus the shot itself is a little underwhelming. Hopefully this will be improved in later builds.

I think it does look a little cluttered, compared to the original Saturn level at least. It would probably look better if they removed all those rocky outcrops and just left the ruins in. Then again, maybe the original had so view objects due to technical limitations rather than being the artistic vision of the creators. Those huge VDP2 planes the Saturn drew did give the level an expansive feel. I hope they do some decluttering.

I disagree about the speed though. The original was a pretty leisurely affair too (at least the first level was). One thing which may have made it look slow is the lack of lock-on targeting and shooting. This may be due to the player not being very good at the game, or just because they haven't programmed that bit in yet.
The developers are remaking a known quantity. While I wouldn't want the responsibility of interpreting the sparseness of mid-90s 3D games, they need to find a balance. If it wasn't for the dragon design, I wouldn't think "Panzer Dragoon" from the level, showcased in the trailer.

As for speed, the original having the character flying over a large body of water, with enemies buzzing about and the occasional object passing by gave a false sense of quickness. The player character is rarely moving very fast in Panzer Dragoon, but perspective and the environment give the impression the dragoon is covering vast expanses at a fairly reasonable clip. As I said about the trailer, the dragon looks too much like it's just floating over a big lake.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Everyone who has a Switch please buy this. It's a really good game, and if it sells, we might get other PD remakes.

We might get Saga.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

This is troublesome. Is this exclusive to the Switch?

They're remaking the first one and Zwei? Unbelievable. Are they exclusive to the Switch?

They have a deal with Sega to make this and Zwei.

I imagine if it sells well Sega will contract them for more.

I hope it's not exclusive.

Orta doesn't need a remake, it looks fantastic in 4K on the Xbox One X (although it could do with porting to other systems). Saga on the other hand could do with a little extra work. My optimistic self tells me that Sega just shoved the 2 rail shooter games (which are great in their own right) to this smaller developer and will be doing the Saga one in-house (or even better, getting Bluepoint to do it). As I said, that's my optimistic side speaking...

Oh i agree that it doesn't need a remake, its stellar artstyle holds up nicely at a high resolution. I don't particularly care whether or not any of them get a remake, as far as i'm concerned their artstyle transcend the outdated engine they were designed on because of the limitations of the hardware. And as far as gameplay goes, they're practically eternally playable - well, minus the first one which could get a little bit of getting used to because of the poor framerate. But Zwei? Great, no problem. Orta? No question. Saga? Completely unique design, nothing replicated or improved upon by anyone else.

These are video games of extraordinary quality because of their unique design. They follow no trends, and the only thing that i could say inspired them was Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I'm relatively excited because of the new-found interest in this IP, because i want them to be ported everywhere possible. I'm a fan of this series, i bought an OG Xbox specifically to finish my journey through this series of video games with Orta.

I would be very disappointed if these games are exclusive to the Switch.

I agree--I just started playing Orta again for the first time in over a decade on the X, and it looks gorgeous in 4K. Cut scenes are garbage, but that can't be helped. In-game, though, looks like it's a 360 game.

And I'm hoping there's a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake--I'd love to be able to play that again.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A Saga remake would be really nice, it would benefit from it the most.

Still an overrated game :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Overrated? I hope you're joking. This series is a masterpiece in every way. And it got better with time.

If this is the attitude we're gonna get, perhaps I should just give up right here.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't a Switch exclusive though? I could have sworn this was going to be multiplat.

Kazza

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Side by side comparison of old versus new (tried my best to match them up):
- Obviously the new looks a lot smother (I would guess 60 fps, as opposed to the 20 fps of the Saturn version).
- The colour palette of the new one looks a lot warmer.
- The Saturn one does seem to speed up in parts (or maybe it's just the enemies being more aggressive).
- There's obviously a lot more going on in terms of scenery in the new one.
- The camera looks like it's much more pulled back in the new one. This gives the player a wider view of the action, but also decreases the intimacy felt towards the rider and the dragon.
- The lock-on attack looks a little underwhelming in compared to the old version.

Overall, despite the changes, I still think it has Panzer Dragoon's soul.

Last edited:

Kazza

I thought they might incorporate some of Orta's innovations (the dash, and changing of dragon forms), but it looks like they're sticking to the old formula.

Top Bottom