• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario and the Origami King Previews

Neil Young

I feel like I see Switch games on sale regularly, I don't know where the Nintendo games never go on sale sentiment comes from honestly. I got Splatoon 2 and New Super Mario Bros DX for 39 this week for example.
I think it's because 40 bucks seems to be their go to "sale" price. When a game like octopath traveller and Splatoon are STILL 40 bucks or more, that's a sin. Sony and MS give many great games away for free (or less than 20 on sale) that do laps around most of Nintendo's stuff. "But they can still charge that price and it sells." is what we typically hear. Yay Nintendo?

Again, it's not like they are passing off those huge earnings to us in the form of the number of releases, their quality or updates to the Switch OS or online. Look at this garbage they're dumping on us like they're embarrassed by it. (Ok, it may be good, but the recent track record for paper mario is not great).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think they don't know what fans have been asking for or do you think they know but just don't care?

They do things their own way and they’re confident in that. I’d say they’ve earned that over 30+ years. My Switch has given me some of the most ridiculously good gaming so I trust them to deliver.

Zog

Banned
They do things their own way and they’re confident in that. I’d say they’ve earned that over 30+ years. My Switch has given me some of the most ridiculously good gaming so I trust them to deliver.

They will deliver another Sticker Star/Color Splash type game but hey, you like your Switch.

Grinchy

Banned
I love the art style, but the bulletpoints sound horrible. Nintendo lately seems to either go all out on a BOTW/Odyssey level of game, or just staple together the bare minimum like Mario Party or Mario Tennis and shove it out undercooked. This is feeling like one of those undercooked ones.

They will deliver another Sticker Star/Color Splash type game but hey, you like your Switch.

Xxmxd0t.jpg

carlosrox

Banned
All this bitching about the combat.

I heard the same about Color Splash and saw no problem with (and enjoyed) the combat.

Color Splash was amazing and I loved everything about it. I can only hope this is at a similar level.

I think its good that Nintendo have tried to make it a bit different, but previews are already saying that the ring system gets tiring very quickly. I would have just preferred a simple turn based combat, but will certainly read reviews before deciding on a purchase later on. I’ve never really loved the paper mario series, so no big loss, and am waiting for the super mario 64/ sunshine/ galaxy to be announced, hopefully for the end of summer!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I love the art style, but the bulletpoints sound horrible. Nintendo lately seems to either go all out on a BOTW/Odyssey level of game, or just staple together the bare minimum like Mario Party or Mario Tennis and shove it out undercooked. This is feeling like one of those undercooked ones.
Most people don’t realize that just because a game features Nintendo characters, doesn’t mean it’s made “by Nintendo”, and that’s an INCREDIBLY important distinction to make. Shit like Mario Party/Mario Tennis and even Paper Mario are developed externally with some minor oversight by Nintendo itself — feedback bits here and there.

Games like Mario Kart, mainline Mario games, and Zelda are all made by Nintendo’a core studio (EPD). That’s “real” Nintendo, and there’s also —

HAL —Kirby games

intelligent systems — Paper Mario

Monolith Soft — Xenogears

ND cube —Mario party

I will typically only buy EPD games, the rest are basically Nintendo’s second rate filler games made by contracted studios and as a result the content is not nearly as good.

Last edited:
Most people don’t realize that just because a game features Nintendo characters, doesn’t mean it’s made “by Nintendo”, and that’s an INCREDIBLY important distinction to make. Shit like Mario Party/Mario Tennis and even Paper Mario are developed externally with some minor oversight by Nintendo itself — feedback bits here and there.

Games like Mario Kart, mainline Mario games, and Zelda are all made by Nintendo’a core studio (EPD). That’s “real” Nintendo, and there’s also —

HAL —Kirby games

intelligent systems — Paper Mario

Monolith Soft — Xenogears

ND cube —Mario party

I will typically only buy EPD games, the rest are basically Nintendo’s second rate filler games made by contracted studios and as a result the content is not nearly as good.
Bingo.

Top Bottom