• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

EkSKZ.png

Platform: 3DS
Developer: Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Platformer, RPG
Players: 1 player

shellg7xia.png

Release Dates
- November 11, 2012
- December 6, 2012
- December 7, 2012
- December 8, 2012

mushroomm2b1k.png

Story
Once upon a time, the Mushroom Kingdom was celebrating the annual holiday the Sticker Fest, where the citizens come to witness the Sticker Comet fly by in the sky. It is said that the Sticker Comet will actually make wishes come true. But the evil king Bowser smashes the comet and shattering it into 6 pieces, while granting Bowser ultimate power. It is up to Mario and his new pal Kersti to gather the 6 Royal Stickers that have spread across the land and rescue Princess Peach and the Toads from Bowser.

bootstzabi.png

Characters
Mario - everyone's favorite plumber/doctor/kart racer/turtle exterminator is back in an all new paper adventure. Well, I really probably don't need to say much more beyond that, we all know who Mario is already.
Kersti - A sticker fairy that happens to be Mario's new partner in this game. Fairy huh? Hey! Listen!
Princess Peach - The ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom is back smaller and flatter than ever. She got kidnapped, again.
Bowser - The ruthless yet bumbling leader of the Koopa Troop, he's what causes this mess in the first place. He usually gets beat by Mario, but this time he's got a new item that makes him all powerful. I wonder where I heard that before?
Bowser jr. - Bowser's illegitimate son. He causes Mario some grief on his father's behalf.

hammerniz2q.png

How to Play
Unlike Super Paper Mario, PM:SS returns to the turn based combat, but with a twist. Attacks are performed by stickers you find on your travels. Stickers are also used outside of battle to perform tasks to get further in the levels. Some stickers are your basic jump and hammer commands, but also include stranger ones like an industrial fan, scissors, and a goat.
flowerx1ztx.png

Screens
pmss36kwuaj.png
pm3d21pmqf8.png

paperjunglebattlezlrw7.jpg
jungledoorpaperizex3riz.jpg

sleepingwiggler8vuaq.jpg
koopashellstickerlko5j.jpg

powkyyj3.png

Videos
2012 E3 Trailer
October Trailer
NOA TV Commercial
sombrero1yyc9.png

Reviews
1-UP - -A
IGN - 8.3/10
Kotaku - YES
gameinformer - 8.75/10
gamesradar - 4.5/5
Destructoid - 8/10
Polygon - 7.5/10
Venture Beat - 68/100
Modojo
GameXplain 2/5
Digital Chumps
TechnoBuffalo 9/10
Cubed³ 6/10

ipN9gpNhMOxuc.gif

TEJ

Fuck yeah.

I think i'll be buying it digitally. Will the digital version be available the same day as retail?

ohlawd

Goat attack should be the first thing you see when you enter the thread :)

edit: great art Chet. Looks really freakin' good.

The M.O.B

Wow, I thought this was coming out in December for the US.

Snuck up on me, so will this be a Day 1 eShop digital download?

I'm still a bit wary of the gameplay changes, and I'm disappointed that there are no partners again, but I'm always up for more Paper Mario.

RPGCrazied

Not going to get it at launch. Going to get it for Christmas though. Will be enough time for reviews and stuff if it ends up sucking and I go for something else.

I'm actually glad I have to wait an extra month before I get my hands on this. I'll love playing this on the sofa, in front of the fire over Christmas.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I have no interest in this game as I don't own a 3DS right now (might splurge on a XL if theres some good BF deals), just wanted to say that this OT is fantastic and the title is even better. Good job Chet.

eternalb

I am so hyped. Gamexplain posted a new gameplay video this morning showing the Yoshi Sphinx. Btw why is it that desert is always level 2 btw?!

And amazing artwork! I thought that was official at first-glance!

Did you draw those?

EDIT: Guess so, looks great.

Really nice art, Chet Rippo. Glad you're using it for the side of Good again.

Goat attack should be the first thing you see when you enter the thread :)

edit: great art Chet. Looks really freakin' good.

That's really nice art. I hope Newegg ships my copy with some amount of speed.

Exciting!!! Great art, Mr. Rippo!

I'm not sure what the Good side is, but thanks! I've drawn every |OT| I've done so far, and I plan to keep it that way.
Well, see you in a month Chet!

It's kinda odd how everyone else is getting it in December.

RPGCrazied

Drawn? I thought you got those pictures from various sites. Looks like it came from Nintendo. Could've fooled me. Very nice.

It's kinda odd how everyone else is getting it in December.

Well, Japan is getting Animal Crossing this Thursday instead, so that might explain it. Not sure about Europe though. I would say I'm jealous, and I kinda am, but I love Animal Crossing that little bit more. Still, jealous.

JeffGrubb

I don't think I'll get in trouble if I say:

Sombrero Guy is my favorite! Also, that goat is hilarious and how you get the goat is even crazier.

Edit: Reviews will be up tomorrow at Noon EST/9 A.M. PST

Gravijah

Well, Japan is getting Animal Crossing this Thursday instead, so that might explain it. Not sure about Europe though. I would say I'm jealous, and I kinda am, but I love Animal Crossing that little bit more. Still, jealous.

i'm not going to lie, i would trade Paper Mario for Animal Crossing.

Incredible art. :D

So hyped for this, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. dat overhauled art style~

I assume it'll be up on the eShop at midnight?

Looking forward to it, very much doubt i will get it on day one since it comes out only a week after the Wii U. Might hold back and see if anywhere puts it on offer during the Jan sales.

Shyguy drawn in the OP? you did good Chet, I had no idea the gap between the US release and the PAL release was this wide.
I just noticed the GAF logo is all sticker like, oho!

Why is Daniel Bryan eating those goombas? That's not vegan.

I never thought Goat Face would catch on but well, here we are.

Oddduck

Looking forward to buying this. Enjoyed Paper Mario and Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. So I expect I would enjoy this as well.

brinstar

For whatever reason this wasn't on my radar until the last trailer and now I'm super excited for it! The only question remains: retail or digital?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wait, this is out in a week? I've been on blackout and thought it was still months away omgomgomgomgomgogmgmog

Top Bottom