• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papo & Yo Update: Monster Evolved

Loudninja

Hello everybody! We’ve been hard at work since we first unveiled Papo & Yo last summer, and the game has come a long way in the past few months. As we get ready to (finally!) show off more of the game next week at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, I wanted to take the opportunity to tell you all a little bit about how Monster – a character very important to both the story and to me personally – has evolved since my initial concept into the Monster you see today.
If you’ve been following Papo & Yo, you may remember that Monster represents my father, a man I had a difficult relationship with. To tell the story I wanted to tell – my story – I knew that this character had to show the positive aspects of the man I loved… and the negative aspects of the man I feared. This turned out to be challenging – I knew who Monster was, but not what he looked like. Luckily, I’m extremely fortunate to have friends like Nilo Rodis, a man who has worked on the art for movies ranging from Pixar titles to Star Wars, and the man who helped me find my father in Monster.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/29/papo-yo-update-monster-evolved/

New screenshots in the link.

Takao

Banned
So basically if I want an update of Medabots 3D I should make a GAF thread about it and a week later I'll have screenshots?

ohw, don't like the new monster at all...the other one was much more personable and original.

old:

6793084360_375ee08ee1_z.jpg

new:

6939195993_ddd37f41b1_z.jpg

Nilo Rodis [redesigned the monster], a man who has worked on the art for movies ranging from Pixar titles to Star Wars

scaled.php

:/

Jeff-DSA

It was one of the more interesting demos I played at E3 last year. I've been waiting for more info. Good to see that it will be an updated demo at GDC.

Himself

The new monster kind of looks like one of my childhood friend's father who was pretty terrifying. So, mission accomplished, I guess. I'm keeping my eye on this. Seems interesting.

Loudninja

PS blog comment:
Vander Caballero on February 29th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

Hola I’m Vander, the creator of PAPO & YO, Thanks for your feedback on the monster, I really like the Rhino too. I remember going from the first sketches to a 3d model to putting him in the engine, but inside of me there was always something wrong with the character I couldn’t describe. Talking to my friend Nilo I realized what it was – I was mixing the monster with my dog! I love playing with my dog and got stuck in the loop of playfulness I wanted to have with my father which I never had. But when Nilo asked me if I see my father in the monster I had to be honest and admit that Rhino, as much as I liked him, was more my dog than my father.

The monster looks a bit scarier now and that is how I felt when I was a kid. When Nilo sent me some concept art for the new monster I saw my father in it and I feel that is a more honest view of my past.

We are still working on improving the texture and I look forward to showing you his animations soon, new monster is attaching too.

I know many will not like the new monster but I really could not ship with Rhino knowing he is the representation of my father mixed with my dog.

V
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/29/papo-yo-update-monster-evolved/#comment-694507

ShinjukoOtaku

Neo Member
On the one hand this game feels like a brave venture but on the other: isn't it getting a bit desperate mentioning the daddy issues thing. Just feels like a marketing angle in poor taste, I know it's personal but it's not exactly giving your game subtext if you sledgehammer the message home...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Can't say I like the new monster. The old one looks more like.. well, an animal. The new one looks like some half-baked cartoon character.

GorillaJu

Seems a bit self indulgent to be out there proclaiming that everyone should hear and experience YOUR story. You can build a narrative out of your own experiences without telling everyone it's about yourself.

Hope the game is good, however.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I think that's the point. Monster is a metaphor and probably should look less like something you can relate to in the normal world.

You've got a point, but I still think the new one is a downgrade from the original. The original monster looked somewhat realistic, like something that fit in with the world surrounding it, while the new one sticks out like a sore thumb due to the cartoony look clashing with the otherwise realistic surroundings.

While I like the look of the old monster, the new one reminds me of The Maxx. I'm not sure whether that is good or bad, but I can see the less realistic style working with a character that exists at least partly in the protagonist's mind as a result of dealing with personal problems.

CamHostage

He sort of looks like a character from The Maxx a bit now.

I'm disappointed that they changed the texturing method, the photorealistic effect (even if it was very early-UE3) was really captivating. I'll have to see it in motion to see if the change brought benefits elsewhere.

If you’ve been following Papo & Yo, you may remember that Monster represents my father, a man I had a difficult relationship with. To tell the story I wanted to tell – my story – I knew that this character had to show the positive aspects of the man I loved… and the negative aspects of the man I feared. This turned out to be challenging – I knew who Monster was, but not what he looked like. Luckily, I’m extremely fortunate to have friends like Nilo Rodis, a man who has worked on the art for movies ranging from Pixar titles to Star Wars, and the man who helped me find my father in Monster.
Does he have to mention this every time he talks about the game? I'm looking forward to it for this exact reason but talk about belaboring the point. Let the work speak for itself, man.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Game set in Brazil but with Spanish title. It's already off to a good start eh?

What is papo anyway?
I guess it means dad but I've never heard my my family use that, and my Brazilian friend says it isn't Portuguese for dad either.

The new design looks like its missing textures or normal mapping in comparison to the old one. I think I'd like it more if it lost the horn on the head, looks too generically like a Ben-10/Lilo and Stitch alien. And yeah, themes that are supposed to be underpinning a story don't really work if you have to explain them to everybody beforehand. I hope it does hold up on its own in the end.

JWong

Banned
Does he have to mention this every time he talks about the game? I'm looking forward to it for this exact reason but talk about belaboring the point. Let the work speak for itself, man.

Well, you could go on a media blackout if you want to wait for the game to speak for itself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That whole scene looks completely unfinished to me. The monster's model & texture, the scene lighting, everything...

The old shot looks complete & polished.

CamHostage

I think it's kind of a cultural thing (assuming english isn't his first language,) I noticed when I used to do interviews with people from other countries that if there was a certain idea that they could see sparked people's interests, they'd sometimes latch onto it because it's hard finding those kinds of relateable ideas when you're speaking on an emotional or conceptual level.

Top Bottom