• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox has gained at least 160MM SEK / 18.5MM USD in revenue from Cities and PoE

Shepard

One of the happiest gaming news I've seen recently. Seeing a relatively small dev (publisher) receiving commercial and critical success with 2 amazing games, like these, makes me feel really good.

Cool, maybe they can afford to hire some people who know how to scale interfaces so people playing >1080p on their internal games don't need to download mods of questionable efficacy.

Also no more HoI4 delays please.

Mikeside

Happy for Obsidian and Paradox. I'm knee deep in Bloodborne and mh4u right now, but will be picking both of these up soon.

I wonder what's next for Obsidian?

Their last handful of games have been amazing.

South Park, New Vegas, PoE, Alpha Protocol.... all great games. Are they still doing that MMO? :/

Hopefully not - an MMO is the easiest way to sink a bunch of money into a project & never see it again.

I'd like to seeb some expansions for Pillars, then maybe them moving onto another CRPG in a very different setting (maybe sci-fi?) so they've got 2 IPs they can go between for a few games.

Soph

I used to pirate a lot of DRM riddled pc games, pretty much spoon fed since copying floppies in DOS, then in came Paradox, with their understanding of consumers, quality assurance(after ck2) and treatment of internal and external studios. Knowing they couldn't beat piracy, they released their games DRM free, as real customers shouldn't be getting the short end of the stick. The customers should be cherished, loved for paying for their product and Paradox knew this. They added benefits only customers would gain through free patches and music dlc, added a whole modding community only for people who bought the original game.

They made me want to pay for PC games again, through a mix of quality, great satire marketing and maybe a little bit of guilt. Thanks Paradox.

Gifted Skylines to my nephew, been playing PoE for over 20 hours already. Got 700+ hours into EUIV with all DLC. Needless to say, I'm happy Paradox does well, clearly the go to publisher for gamers.

epmode

Cool, maybe they can afford to hire some people who know how to scale interfaces so people playing >1080p on their internal games don't need to download mods of questionable efficacy.

I hear you, brother. I can't play those neat grand strategy games because of this.

Jennings

Glad to hear Paradox is doing so well. I never thought about how many of their games I buy and enjoy, they always seemed so far behind the scenes to me they just sort of went unnoticed to me. From Magika, to CkII, to Sword of the Stars. I guess I never paid them much attention until I started seeing Paradox Steam sales, and reading headlines about Cities after I'd already purchased my copies.

Too bad the relationship between Paradox and Kerberos (Sword of the Stars and The Pit) is strained to the point where they'll probably never do business again, because I think it could have been great if Paradox would have worked out some sort of collaboration between the different dev studios they work with where a few of the big Kerberos Kaiju monsters (from the Kerberos Kaiju-a-Gogo city-stomping game) were included in some sort of bigger all-encompassing "City Disaster" DLC for Cities. I enjoy crossovers, and if it weren't for the fallout from Sword of the Stars II, I think this could have been a fun one. But I digress. Maybe we can get a CkII/Cities crossover instead.

Right now the only thing I find myself wishing for when playing Skylines are SimCity-type disasters (scenarios like monster attacks, meteors, and earthquakes, to start). I even find myself missing them more than terraforming, which I didn't even notice until after spending a few weeks building. I'm hoping a disaster DLC is coming sooner than later.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
saw this on /v/, nice gesture

llhg02d.jpg

They should focus on making games like these rather then service like games where they spit out DLC everyweek

I take it you've never actually looked at how the DLC and patches work in stuff like Crusader Kings II, eh? Because it's truly a best case scenario as far as paid DLC is concerned; features are expanded upon or added in the large DLCs, where the cheap ones are meaningless cosmetics, only for those who truly want it all. And the sale of DLCs funds the free patches that have massively improved/expanded CK2 since release.

So, basically... Paradox already is.

I take it you've never actually looked at how the DLC and patches work in stuff like Crusader Kings II, eh? Because it's truly a best case scenario as far as paid DLC is concerned; features are expanded upon or added in the large DLCs, where the cheap ones are meaningless cosmetics, only for those who truly want it all. And the sale of DLCs funds the free patches that have massively improved/expanded CK2 since release.

So, basically... Paradox already is.

Said it a few times now, but they need to start rolling very-old DLC into the base game and removing it from the store-front. Because it's intimidating as fuck for new people and most of it is useless to begin with.

Kyougar

Also no more HoI4 delays please.

there was no news of HoI4 in the last newsletter :(

ICKE

Banned
This company is THE BOMB. They are pumping out magnificent games.

They are not quite as subtle with DLC's as some other companies but their products are just top notch.

Top Bottom