• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox has gained at least 160MM SEK / 18.5MM USD in revenue from Cities and PoE

Tovarisc

Quotes from article provided by translation linked below;

In just three weeks, Paradox has released two of the world's best-selling game, Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity. The result? At least 160 million in revenue.

It started with the release of the city builder Cities: Skylines three weeks ago. The game sold half a million copies in two days, and since then has remained as one of the best selling games on Steam. In just nine days the game generate 100 million SEK (11.5m USD) in revenue for Paradox.

For Paradox this meant happy days all the way to the bank. So far the two games combined have generated 160 million SEK (18.5m USD) in revenue for Paradox.
"It's great fun. Hadn't Cities: Skylines already broken all our records, then Pillars of Eternity certainly would have. One can certainly say this has been a crazy March", says CEO Fredrik Wester.

Original source for this news is Swedish site called IDG.se, but in Reddit thread kind user provided us with more accurate translation than Google could.

Here is his translation in full.

Very well deserved success for Paradox and developers behind these great titles with more awesomeness coming, after all Magicka 2 is just around corner with its May 26th release date.

well deserved indeed.
They just keep delivering (publishing actually) quality titles and they are able to make a profit..
Shocking how easy it is, right Konami, Square-Enix and Capcom?

Hystzen

Paradox been on a uphill raise since Crusader Kings 2 being a hit. They releasing games that pure crack either in house or publishing

Couleurs

Skylines is an awesome game and it's great to see that it's selling so well. (Haven't played PoE yet but it's in my list)

lazygecko

Meanwhile you have people who only find the AAA sphere of the market relevant complaining over how March was one of the worst months ever for gaming. Pretty starch contrasts.

Scipius

As expected. Both games serve a mature and wealthy audience that is being purposefully ignored by major publishers.

Aaron D.

Yeah, it's crazy. I own both titles, but prior to launch I'd just gotten off a Crusader Kings II bender that was going for a strong 3 or 4 weeks.

Been a crazy Paradox season for me. I might as well be seeing that wacky fossil logo in my dreams!

Enco

CK2 is my favourite title from them.

Hope they continue making awesome games with plenty of freedom.

Well Deserved

I'm loving Cities Skylines and for Pillars of Eternity, it isn't a game that interests me but more power to them for putting on a product that others enjoy and that Paradox has seen great success from it.

Kinthalis

Banned
Both fantastic games! Both great examples of what traditional PC gaming combined wiht some modern twists brings to the table.

Lovin the hell out fo both games right now ;)

Xater

Great news. Paradox really deserves the success with putting out quality like this.

Makes me wonder if they might just fund another Obsidian game themselves without even going through Kickstarter.

Kinthalis

Banned
Great news. Paradox really deserves the success with putting out quality like this.

Makes me wonder if they might just fund another Obsidian game themselves without even going through Kickstarter.

I wouldn't mind it if they went both ways. Hit up kickstarter (I know I'll definitely be contributing!) and work out a deal for some funding from Paradox. This way they have more capital to work with to make a bigger, better game (while spreading risk around a bit), and they can continue to have a tight knit relationship with the fan base, who can be there to test stuff out and provide feedback.

Hari Seldon

Meanwhile you have people who only find the AAA sphere of the market relevant complaining over how March was one of the worst months ever for gaming. Pretty starch contrasts.

Yeah I know, March has been the best month for me in a long time. Besides these two, Eastside Hockey Manager Early Access and OOTP 16 released. So much crack to digest in one month.

Hari Seldon

As far as Paradox goes, I want to see them take on The Sims next. That is a franchise that could potentially sell millions upon millions that is completely ripe for pillaging off of EA.

Carlius

Banned

not only that, but that PC gaming makes no money and developers struggle with it.

Who would have thought that you could make money by putting out quality games that treat their players like people and not bottomless wallets?

Calabi

As far as Paradox goes, I want to see them take on The Sims next. That is a franchise that could potentially sell millions upon millions that is completely ripe for pillaging off of EA.

That's it the usual publishers have fucked it, left the market wide open for smaller guys like Paradox to snatch up lots of profits.

KR_remix

So does that mean Pillars has probably made a few million usd for Paradox? Kind of hard to guess how well the game has done without knowing what kind of deal they have with Obsidian, I know they said they partnered with them for marketing and distribution. Hopefully it does well enough that Obsidian or Paradox can fund the sequel and we can get another new ip when they return to kickstarter.

edit:actually it is probably less than 7m because of nine days comment.

Always good to see the deserving teams raking in the profits ( hopefully )

Wasn't Pillars of Eternity a kickstarter type project also? How much did kickstarter bring in?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Good for Paradox, as a Swede it makes me even happier :D. Will get Pillars of Eternity to support both them and Obsidian, no clue when I'll actually play it though, my brand new PC parts broke on me :lol

Both games are only PC games, I think this is clear evidence that pirates and the PC market is not as bad as companies like Ubisoft would like us to believe. PC games can and still bring in the money, you just need to actually care for the quality of the game getting released.

Paradox been on a uphill raise since Crusader Kings 2 being a hit. They releasing games that pure crack either in house or publishing

As far as I remember, they have released a lot of really crappy games between CK2 and Cities: Skylines? Or at least some stinkes, through publishing.

These two games are sweet and awesome though.

Way to go Paradox. Now get going on Crusader Kings 3.

haha, they still have 20 dlc expansions to make for 2

As far as I remember, they have released a lot of really crappy games between CK2 and Cities: Skylines?

Defenders of Ardania
A Game of Dwarves
Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
King Arthur II: The Role-playing Wargame
Magicka: The Other Side of the Coin
Magicka: Dungeons and Daemons
Naval War: Arctic Circle
Starvoid
Victoria II: A House Divided
War of the Roses
Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Cities in Motion 2
Dungeonland
Europa Universalis IV
Impire
Leviathan: Warships
March of the Eagles
The Showdown Effect
Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
Ancient Space
War of the Vikings
Warlock II: The Exiled

Xater

I wouldn't mind it if they went both ways. Hit up kickstarter (I know I'll definitely be contributing!) and work out a deal for some funding from Paradox. This way they have more capital to work with to make a bigger, better game (while spreading risk around a bit), and they can continue to have a tight knit relationship with the fan base, who can be there to test stuff out and provide feedback.

Sure, I'd support that.

As far as I remember, they have released a lot of really crappy games between CK2 and Cities: Skylines? Or at least some stinkes, through publishing.

These two games are sweet and awesome though.

Not really. EU4 was also great for example.

Saganator

March has been an excellent month for me. If I didn't restrain myself, I would've spent close to $200 on games. Congrats to Paradox. Don't let the money go to your heads, though. Or let yourself be bought out.

Grief.exe

March has been an excellent month for me. If I didn't restrain myself, I would've spent close to $200 on games. Congrats to Paradox. Don't let the money go to your heads, though. Or let yourself be bought out.

Bloodborne alone would be around $400+.

Top Bottom