• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Interactive requests their data to be removed from SteamSpy

Almighty

That's what SteamSpy does and it extrapolates from there. It's why games with the section_type = ownersonly flag don't have ownership data (e.g. Underworld Ascendant's playtest app for alpha backers) as said flag limits the public exposure of said games, including their presence on user profiles -- they appear neither as recently played nor among a user's games list.

My mistake. I was thinking of the old way of using bots to trawl through each individual profile webpage instead of using the api, but my knowledge on this subject is very limited, so I am not sure if there is much difference between one and the other. Just that Valve, at least if my memory serves me, much preferred the latter to the former.

If you see that a ton of people have your game on their wishlist but haven't bought it, the natural assumption is that the price point for your game must be too high for those people as it stands right now, and you should probably put it on sale.

Not necessarily. I have several games on wishlist because of my immense backlog. If there's a sale I'll impulse buy them, but they'll likely join the rest on the pile. High or low price doesn't factor into this, not directly, anyway.

I'm not sure what part of this you think overrides the logic I presented.

kswiston

Didnt Valve put out the API that Steamspy and others use so that people wouldnt data mine their public profiles, eating up a ton of server resources?

I don't know about that. I doubt that SteamSpy data is "wildly off". and

I'm not sure where all of those activated copies come from if it isn't sales. The ones given away for free to reviewrs and such are a tiny tiny fraction. Basically a bit of noise in the data.

Even if they believe SteamSpy data to be wrong, it's still useful. If you have better data exclusively for your investors and business partners, great. If your business partners use SteamSpy data in a dumb way that seems like an easy way to tell who you shouldn't do business with.

What are you talking about? There are millions of Steam keys being sold for dirt cheap and many of them get traded on forums and activated. There is no way to know how much $ is being generated with each "owner" listed by SteamSpy.

I don't get why people care how much a game sells anyway?

What are you talking about? There are millions of Steam keys being sold for dirt cheap and many of them get traded on forums and activated. There is no way to know how much $ is being generated with each "owner" listed by SteamSpy.

And where do thos keys come from?

Even if a key is sold for $1 it's a sale.

No one is saying that you are (or should be) able to get revenue data from Steam spy. You can never get that from sales numbers anyway, even paradox' official sales numbers. In the end, a sale is a sale and that's where the number of owners comes from.

Owner and sales data is interesting and useful on its own, without any knowledge about revenue.

Corpekata

Banned

There is, to an extent. These millions of keys are typically in existence because of previous budget sales, like bundles, which are a matter of record.

For something like say, Stellaris, which just came out and has nearly 500k owners, and has no retail release nor notable sales, it is easy get a rough estimate of the actual sales. Not 100 percent accurate, as their are sites like Greenmangaming that have 20 percent coupons.

With sites like istheranydeal tracking sales and bundle history, steamspy, wayback machine, it's relatively simple to know the rough history of sales by simply comparing and contrasting data.

The secondhand trading market is not something that is generally going to be statistically relevant to a game's overall figures as well.

Because I don't buy that game to play it. I just see a low price for something in a genre I like.

Try to imagine that I'm a member of the sales team.

I don't care if you're buying the game to play it or buying the game on "impulse". I care that I got a sale in the first quarter of the fiscal year. The fact I put the game on discount during a Steam event turned that Wishlist entry into a sale. Nothing else ever enters into the equation.

mcw

And where do thos keys come from?

Even if a key is sold for $1 it's a sale.

No one is saying that you are (or should be) able to get revenue data from Steam spy. You can never get that from sales numbers anyway, even paradox' official sales numbers. In the end, a sale is a sale and that's where the number of owners comes from.

Owner and sales data is interesting and useful on its own, without any knowledge about revenue.

The Paradox dude's point is that he keeps having conversations with folks, conversations that begin based on an unfortunate fallacy: "SteamSpy says we sold X copies, multiply that by full price and the result must be our actual revenue". There's two ways to prevent this: Either restrict both sales and revenue numbers, or publicize both sales and revenue numbers. The only dev I can think of that has done the latter is Yacht Club, and it's really cool of them to do so, as it really should be the developer's decision.

The Paradox dude's point is that he keeps having conversations with folks, conversations that begin based on an unfortunate fallacy: "SteamSpy says we sold X copies, multiply that by full price and the result must be our actual revenue". There's two ways to prevent this: Either restrict both sales and revenue numbers, or publicize both sales and revenue numbers. The only dev I can think of that has done the latter is Yacht Club, and it's really cool of them to do so, as it really should be the developer's decision.
So let's hide data because dumb people don't know what it means.

That make sense

And it is the devs decision as Steam spy does grant those requests, but I still don't think it's a necessary move. It really doesn't do any harm or good. Its just data.

mcw

And it is the devs decision as Steam spy does grant those requests, but I still don't think it's a necessary move. It really doesn't do any harm or good. Its just data.

Unfortunately, none of us are in a position to make such a judgment.

Purkake4

Banned
Saving people from stupidity is a noble, but ultimately doomed undertaking.

Honestly, I feel that anyone having a problem with this should talk to Valve. This is just asking people not to put 2 and 2 together when the info is publicly available.

Par Score

Wow, this really sucks.

Paradox have been one of my favourite developers/publishers, but this makes me think a whole lot less of them.

kswiston

Saving people from stupidity is a noble, but ultimately doomed undertaking.

Honestly, I feel that anyone having a problem with this should talk to Valve. This is just asking people not to put 2 and 2 together when the info is publicly available.

There's not much Valve can do, besides make the data mining harder (and more server intensive on their end). User profiles and their games library are public unless you specifically opt out. Just like Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media source that is public, anyone is free to data mine the public results. Statistics can easily model the missing data fairly accurately.

Sergey is free to run his website as he sees fit, but if too many of the larger pubs opt out, Steamspy as a whole will be of much less use, and someone else who doesn't give a shit what publishers want or don't want to make public will just do the same thing for themselves.

Ars Technica was doing something similar for articles a year or so before Steamspy was a thing.

I don't see the problem in their justification for it.

They want to accurately report numbers to the industry insider outlet, something within their own control.

They have no obligation to provide transparency when it comes to sales number so people can gossip about it on message boards and I don't really know why anyone would be disappointed, think less of Paradox or think this is a backwards step.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

They want to accurately report numbers to the industry insider outlet, something within their own control.

They have no obligation to provide transparency when it comes to sales number so people can gossip about it on message boards and I don't really know why anyone would be disappointed or think this is a backwards step.

It isn't a problem. Everyone wants to feel like they're part of something, even when they have no business being a part of something. The people angry are being left out, but they should be left out. If they're that worried about it, then do the legwork. Context is everything and managing that context, as a business, is important work. So let em work.

Saganator

They have no obligation to provide transparency when it comes to sales number so people can gossip about it on message boards and I don't really know why anyone would be disappointed, think less of Paradox or think this is a backwards step.

As someone who's managed Sales people and their pipelines, I understand their reasoning as well. I can imagine the meetings and conversations that lead to this decision.

Purkake4

Banned

They aren't providing anything, the data has always been open, Valve added an API so that people wouldn't waste their server capacity data mining user profiles. Steamspy is just putting all that data together on a website.

It's not Paradox's data, it's Valve's and Valve seems to have no problem with it being out there. Steamspy is acting out of good faith towards Paradox.

Right, the grey market for key reselling has to be part of the inaccuracies they are talking about. Sure those represent units sold at some point in most cases, but not necessarily at the same price as someone who bought the game from Steam. So saying that you must've made X number of money from X number of owners on Steam isn't an accurate account of your actual earnings on the title. Honestly, most people realize this anyway, but clearly it is a cause for confusion and they'd rather not deal with it.

Labadal

This info is more than a week old.
Sorry to bump but...

Hearts of Iron IV more than 200.000 copies sold (in its first two weeks)
Stellaris more than 500.000 copies sold
Europa Universalis IV has now sold more than 1.000.000 copies

2016-06-21 15:08
Paradox: Meddelar försäljningssiffror för nya spelatitlar
(SIX) Spelutvecklaren Paradox har släppt ett pressmeddelande med
försäljningssiffror för de nyligen lanserade speltitlarna Hearts of
Iron IV, Stellaris och Europa Universalis IV.

Hearts of Iron IV har sålts i över 200.000 exemplar på mindre än 2
veckor. Stellaris har sålts i över en halv miljon exemplar på lite mer
än en månad och Europa Universalis IV har nu uppnått 1 miljon sålda
exemplar.

Aselith

Just found out that this was removed by request after noticing the Paradox data had been missing. Reading the quotes from the Paradox rep I feel like this:

Ive met countless devs that have showed me flawed business plans hinging entirely on the "owners" figure reported by Steamspy on competitors

is misguided. I would welcome this as the ultimate red flag personally. Anyone hinging their business plan on only Steamspy data is not a company you want to work with.

Top Bottom