• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon, MOBA from Epic Games (PC/PS4, 2016) [Up: First Gameplay, Crossplatform, F2P]

"Another MOBA? I have no interest but I guess I'll watch the trailer.......... Fuck... I want to play this."

This game (while very early) is starting to look what a lot of people assumed Overwatch was going to be (a shooter MOBA). It looks good, I'll definitely try it since it's F2P.

There's going to be a stream this Thursday focused on character rendering

https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...aragon-amp-Game-Jam-Kickoff-Live-from-Epic-HQ

This past weekend at PSX, we announced a large amount of info on Paragon, our upcoming title for PC and PS4. As you would expect, the new features in Unreal Engine used to create the high-end visuals are on their way to you all! Brian Karis and Jordan Walker join the community team this week to take us through the technology and techniques used when building the hero characters in Paragon! Tech Artists, Character Artists - heck, ALL Artists won't want to miss this one.

Also, we'll be kicking off the December #ue4jam live on the stream. Come hang with us!

WHEN
Thursday, Dec. 10 @ 2:00PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
Chance Ivey - Sr. Community Manager - @iveytron
Brian Karis - Sr. Programmer, Graphics - @BrianKaris
Jordan Walker - Lead Artist - @Mutantspoon
Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander

viveks86

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
It depends on how much the game will depend on player aiming skill.

Regardless of perspective, aiming is simply faster and more accurate with a mouse than a thumbstick.

If there are no headshots I don't see there being much of an advantage. While speed is an issue, its precision that Mouse wins at the most. Take away the need for precision and the gap gets smaller. Also, PS4 aim assist, PC no aim assist, could be a thing.

If I was epic I would only allow auto aim to work on enemy players, not minions (personal beef with smite).

Boke1879

This looks amazing! just checked out the gameplay. Have never played a MOBA and really have never been interested but this looks like a 3rd person shooter with strategic play. Gonna keep a close eye on this one.

MaLDo

That said, we have players on both platforms playing against one another, and there doesn't appear to be any significant advantage to using either input device. Our top player plays on PC but uses a controller. :)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

check your mails

Thank you for registering for Paragon's Beta program. We're spinning up our first online tests very soon. If you'd like a chance to be a part of early testing, please complete this short seven-question survey by midnight EST Thursday, Dec. 10th.

GLHF,

The Paragon Team

P.S. - This link will bring you to a login page on Unreal Engine, which we are using to speed up the data collection process.

Skux

That says more about your game systems than about controllers :)

No, it says more about the skill of the player. People show up at fighting game tournaments with gamepads and hold their own against people with arcade sticks.

Besides, MOBAs have less emphasis on precision aiming skill than pure shooter games like Counter-Strike. Strategic thinking and teamwork will win far more games than flashy plays.

Man its weird how all the big xbox supporters last gen are all more ps4 focused now. Bungie and now Epic, and no Xbox version? Strange.

The CG trailer was quite good. I'd say it's on par with something you'd see from Bungie or Blizzard.

Third person shooting is the best for this type of game IMO, and I'm getting some serious Unreal Championship 2 vibes from the few gameplay snippets I've seen so far. F2P? Sure, why not? Probably wouldn't buy or play this game otherwise, but I'd be happy to try it out as a freebie.

Strider

That said, we have players on both platforms playing against one another, and there doesn't appear to be any significant advantage to using either input device. Our top player plays on PC but uses a controller. :)

Well that's a good thing too.

It's really just about comfort for me though and if I can play with my KB/M on PS4 were my friends will want to use a controller that's awesome. Since not everyone is willing to invest In a good pc...

Anyway I'm signed up for the beta :) looking forward to trying it out

KOHIPEET

Just got this:

Thank you for registering for Paragon's Beta program. We're spinning up our first online tests very soon. If you'd like a chance to be a part of early testing, please complete this short seven-question survey by midnight EST Thursday, Dec. 10th.

It's coming! :)

"No, it says more about the skill of the player. People show up at fighting game tournaments with gamepads and hold their own against people with arcade sticks."

Not the same scenario. A pad is not a demonstrably worse control method for fighting games than an arcade stick. Analog sticks are demonstrably worse for precision aiming than a mouse.

Arion

I think Paragon has the potential to attract non-MOBA fans just like Destiny has attracted non-MMO fans while still being kind of an MMO(I know destiny isn't an mmo but it has a bunch of the elements). Replacing the RTS style input system with TPS and having the Epic Games name behind will certainly draw a crowd. Smite did the same and has seen some success. However it is going to come down to how dedicated they are to updating with new content and balancing. Both LoL and Dota have significant updates every few months and that's partially why those games are so huge.

Elixist

i did dat survey yo, i hope im in *fingers crossed*

shit thats cool as hell they're supporting kbm for ps4. wondered if a dota or league could ever make it to console with kbm required. although thats a lot of work im sure and leagues mac client is pretty bad, so i cant imagine a console client being any kind of a priority for the devs if they released on console.

Damn, just signed up now, hope I can get in, but have a feeling its too late for the first test.

But game looks amazing, can't wait, hopefully I can get my group of friends who have been a bit tired of Dota lately to get into this. We've been somewhat hyped up by Overwatch but turned off by the pricetag, this seems like the perfect fit!

Also looks absolutely beautiful.

WaterAstro

i did dat survey yo, i hope im in *fingers crossed*

shit thats cool as hell they're supporting kbm for ps4. wondered if a dota or league could ever make it to console with kbm required. although thats a lot of work im sure and leagues mac client is pretty bad, so i cant imagine a console client being any kind of a priority for the devs if they released on console.

I think KB+M only can't exist on console. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo would definitely not allow it.

KoopaTheCasual

Is it just me, or the human character's weapon sounds EXACTLY like a Halo Covenant Sniper Rifle? It even sort of looks like it too...

Well that's a good thing too.

It's really just about comfort for me though and if I can play with my KB/M on PS4 were my friends will want to use a controller that's awesome. Since not everyone is willing to invest In a good pc...

Anyway I'm signed up for the beta :) looking forward to trying it out
Umm, you know this has cross-platform play? You can be on your PC and still play with your PS4 friends.

Maddrical

Really excited for this!

What happened to Fortnite? I remember seeing the announcement trailer at... I think an MS E3 conference 1-2 years ago? and haven't heard anything since.

Pachimari

How do I sign up for the beta? I saw there was a "sign up for beta" in the upper right corner, but as soon as I logged into the website, that option was gone.

Top Bottom