• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount Is Scaling Back On Blockbusters To Focus On Streaming

bitbydeath

Sad, RIP Paramount.
Brian Robbins, who has been running Nickelodeon since 2018, will be stepping in to replace Gianopulous as Paramount's CEO while continuing to oversee Nickelodeon.
Robbins has not dealt with A-list movie stars like Tom Cruise and John Krasinski, insiders believe "Paramount will be scaling back on its theatrical tentpole productions to focus on titles that will service Paramount+." So get ready for fewer impressive-looking blockbuster-type films, and prepare instead for an onslaught of streaming content.
THR's Borys Kit says that according to insiders, Robbins' new leadership will usher in an era which sees Paramount "retreating from big theatrical productions to focus on titles – remakes, branded content, cheaper fare – that will service its streamer, Paramount+."

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Yeah, the ole' "good, I hate theaters" basement dwellers are going to love it when these services start cracking down on password sharing and the like. Hope you like spending money every month on shitty ass action movies, regardless of whether or not you watch them.

With this and moving back the dates on their theatrical movies, yeah fuck em. I aint paying for their shitty service. I can live without their theater releases, too.

Alcibiades

There will be a breaking point in which people will not subscribing to more and more streaming services. Right now, convenience outweighs the cost of getting access to content, especially with password sharing between families and friends. Not sure that holds up long-term. I don't think the market can sustain multiple companies at Netflix-level. They all have awesome content no doubt, but first-mover advantage counts for something. The later you are to the party, the more likely people will turn to piracy to get what they want.

Enjay

Banned
Sound strategy and netflix has the bar set really low in this space atm. It's only a matter of time before most other services follow this same business model.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Yeah, the ole' "good, I hate theaters" basement dwellers are going to love it when these services start cracking down on password sharing and the like. Hope you like spending money every month on shitty ass action movies, regardless of whether or not you watch them.

With this and moving back the dates on their theatrical movies, yeah fuck em. I aint paying for their shitty service. I can live without their theater releases, too.

What basement dwellers are actually paying for any of this content?

T8SC

All this will do is push more people towards piracy. Pretty much everyone I know already has dodgy IPTV streams and are content with 480i broken ass pixel shite as long as they can get their content for free & conveniently. People don't want to pay for 1-2 streaming services, (Netflix/Amazon) nevermind adding in Disney+, Paramount+, SkyTV/NowTV, Youtube Premium etc etc

Soodanim

All this will do is push more people towards piracy. Pretty much everyone I know already has dodgy IPTV streams and are content with 480i broken ass pixel shite as long as they can get their content for free & conveniently. People don't want to pay for 1-2 streaming services, (Netflix/Amazon) nevermind adding in Disney+, Paramount+, SkyTV/NowTV, Youtube Premium etc etc
I pay for Netflix and Amazon, but Amazon is more of an added bonus/crossover as I get it for my family to use on the shopping side. But the rest can get fucked, I’m not having more services.

Especially for countries that does not have the streaming service. What? Am I suppose to not watch the lord of the rings tv show next year just because you didnt put your streaming service in my ip address. Lol.

Last edited:

Urban

Times are changing. The pandemic is only speeding these things up.

yeah I see it at myself. I love Cinema and the feeling to go to the Theaters ( I also worked there for couple of years) but since the pandemic started I’ve never went there ( it’s Open here again). I’ve got me a good new tv and a Soundsystem. I think I’m done with Theaters .

the one thing which I don’t like it is that all of them are bringing their own streaming service. At the end we will have 10-20 of them lol

Tschumi

Small loss, i just bought a Shape of Water Bluray and it's the most recent piece of media I've consumed since 2019

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm pretty convinced that there is a master plan to just start digititally replacing actors in old movies with the current flavor of the week and never make new content ever again, just recycle the old stuff eternally. These legacy studios with their back catalogs are primed for this.

sinnergy

I'm pretty convinced that there is a master plan to just start digititally replacing actors in old movies with the current flavor of the week and never make new content ever again, just recycle the old stuff eternally. These legacy studios with their back catalogs are primed for this.
That was the end-game since Avatar .. just license yourself as actor 🤣 cheap money .

thefool

It's an interesting case where american audiences subsidize the rest of the world.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Nah, it just means Disney will make even more money.
This but honestly Marvel is about the only thing that kept cinemas alive pre pandemic and my showing of Shang Chi was sold out yesterday so they’re probably going to be just fine. Transformers was the only thing Paramount had going for it along with Creed. If they can do that level of quality in series people will sub. Too bad studios decided “if Netflix can do it why sell them our content?” instead of treating them like cable.

oagboghi2

Or you could just pirate them...

Really reaching to somehow imagine this is bad news

MilkyJoe

Less woke remakes?

Bill And Ted 80S GIF by IFC

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Nobody has 480i shite, what planet you on? I stream all networks for free on Kodi in 4K, Disney can go an fuck along with all the rest of them, I was happy paying for Netflix/Prime but now you got Apple/Disney/HBO... Fuuuuck that

T8SC

Nobody has 480i shite, what planet you on? I stream all networks for free on Kodi in 4K, Disney can go an fuck along with all the rest of them, I was happy paying for Netflix/Prime but now you got Apple/Disney/HBO... Fuuuuck that

Oh do u mean the "1080p broken ass bitrate resolution"?

Crack on, enjoy it, I loved crushed blacks as much as the next person. Mmmmm Greyscale, judder & aliasing. I'll break out my Sony Trinitron to watch it in the highest quality with a gold plated SCART cable.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Oh do u mean the "1080p broken ass bitrate resolution"?

Crack on, enjoy it, I loved crushed blacks as much as the next person. Mmmmm Greyscale, judder & aliasing. I'll break out my Sony Trinitron to watch it in the highest quality with a gold plated SCART cable.
When was the last time you actually used a properly set up Kodi?

Here's a shot from my telly just now...

That's just a quick one on Cruella from earlier where the kids where streaming without glitches a 60gb 4K HDR Dolby Atmos rip onto my LGCX and the picture was sublime, so M8 just to reiterate again, you haven't a clue.

T8SC

When was the last time you actually used a properly set up Kodi?

Here's a shot from my telly just now...

That's just a quick one on Cruella from earlier where the kids where streaming without glitches a 60gb 4K HDR Dolby Atmos rip onto my LGCX and the picture was sublime, so M8 just to reiterate again, you haven't a clue.

Sublime and streaming should never be used in the same sentence. So we'll just leave it at that m8. I'm sure your AV knowledge is just as sublime.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Sublime and streaming should never be used in the same sentence. So we'll just leave it at that m8. I'm sure your AV knowledge is just as sublime.
What are you not understanding? I'm not streaming some rip, I'm streaming a direct full bitrate rip of the bloody UHD disc, there's no discernible difference lol, it's not my knowledge of AV that's lacking mate...

T8SC

What are you not understanding? I'm not streaming some rip, I'm streaming a direct full bitrate rip of the bloody UHD disc, there's no discernible difference lol, it's not my knowledge of AV that's lacking mate...

Hang on, lets just go back a to my original post:

All this will do is push more people towards piracy. Pretty much everyone I know already has dodgy IPTV streams and are content with 480i broken ass pixel shite as long as they can get their content for free & conveniently.

Where I clearly state "dodgy IPTV streams".

Yet apparently you're not "streaming some rip" you're streaming a different "rip" and have some sort of access to "direct UHD disc rips that are 60gb" and clearly know the source of where this uncompressed stream that is as good as physical media comes from, because you "know" its a full bitrate UHD disc rip ... and surpasses all paid for services stream quality, which are usually around 20Gb in size for a 2hr movie.

Crack on m8. Top bantz.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not good news. Less money spent on real films, and more money being spent on endless content to fill their streaming platform. Very much quantity over quality.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think this is just positive spin on the fact that they are cash strapped due to not being able to release their tent pole flicks and thus need to focus on smaller budgets for a while.

Quite frankly, I'd rather we have less budget but more risk for a while to rejuvenate the IPs in circulation.

sol_bad

Another sad truth. The biggest films today are all Disney movies and Cape films. Not much creativity like previous decades.

That's audiences own fault, people don't support the lesser known films. They only have themselves to blame.
If someone only goes to the cinemas 2-4 times a year, they should try and make it for films that aren't blockbusters and should try and get friends and family to go with them.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Especially for countries that does not have the streaming service. What? Am I suppose to not watch the lord of the rings tv show next year just because you didnt put your streaming service in my ip address. Lol.

Take the red pill and see how for the rabbit hole goes, torrents here you come, they deny you LOTR you take that shit for free.

oagboghi2

Why would you even want to pirate mass produced trash made to fill a subscription service? You would have to be the literal living embodiment of don't ask questions just consume content to think "remakes, branded content, cheaper fare" is in any way a positive thing.
They are already making remakes, branded content and cheap fare dummy. you’re just paying premium prices for it.

this is the studio that gave you Fast and Furious 9. Is that original, innovative content to you?

Why the fuck would I pirate anything? If it’s not worth paying for then it’s not worth my time. Take that neckbeard bullshit lifestyle somewhere else.
There are plenty of studios that will charge you 30 bucks or more for typical Hollywood trash.

I’ll rather get it at a cheaper price, and with more choices but that’s just me.

Last edited:
That's audiences own fault, people don't support the lesser known films. They only have themselves to blame.
If someone only goes to the cinemas 2-4 times a year, they should try and make it for films that aren't blockbusters and should try and get friends and family to go with them.
I think it's already well past the point of shaming individuals to go to the theater. These are broad, generational trends. From my experience, men basically don't go to the movies like they used to. Most movies are geared towards women, and they should be - since I think they're the bulk of the audience at this point. Same thing with TV, which is nothing but hospital shows and reality shows. Same thing with popular music for the most part, which is almost all pop/dance.

Really the only refuge left that is making content with men in mind, is gaming. And a large part of that is because we get so much international content on par with the domestic stuff (this applies to the US only). A lot of western AAA games are moving away from catering to men as well.

For the most part we have niche tastes now. I'll probably sign up for HBO for Dune to support a big sci-fi movie, but that's about it until Avatar 2 for me. Literally years go by where I'm not interested in anything, so it kind of makes sense they're not making anything for us any more.

The last movie I got really animated about supporting and trying to push people to go see was the third Riddick movie, and then Battle Angel. They apparently didn't do well enough for sequels.

TLDR: these are broad, generational trends not likely to be reversed.

Last edited:

sol_bad

They are already making remakes, branded content and cheap fare dummy. you’re just paying premium prices for it.

this is the studio that gave you Fast and Furious 9. Is that original, innovative content to you?

There are plenty of studios that will charge you 30 bucks or more for typical Hollywood trash.

I’ll rather get it at a cheaper price, and with more choices but that’s just me.

Fast franchise is by Universal Studios.
And you can consume your content how you want, just wait 45 days.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

You get it at a cheaper price and with more choices... if you just wait a little longer. I don't understand the yokels who just CAaAaAaN'T WAIT to see the latest Transformers movie so they want it right there and then. Screw the ripple effect it would have in funding future movies! I want my trash movies now!

Reactions: Fbh

oagboghi2

You get it at a cheaper price and with more choices... if you just wait a little longer. I don't understand the yokels who just CAaAaAaN'T WAIT to see the latest Transformers movie so they want it right there and then. Screw the ripple effect it would have in funding future movies! I want my trash movies now!
Why should I wait? It not like the content is changed in anyway?

Oh right, we wait so the corporation can make more money selling the same product for 3x the price because general public are weak to FUD. Personally i don't really care about these companies bottom line, so...whatever.

"funding future movies" Please, fuck out of here with that nonsense. Yeah, i'm sure 45 day release windows is all that is keeping companies like Disney out of bankruptcy. They could never make money with streaming.

Disney has largely endured those setbacks, its stock continuing to rise to record levels, even as the company keeps pushing back the release of movies and its parks are closed or sparsely attended. Investors remain focused on the robust growth of its streaming offerings, particularly Disney Plus, its buzziest Netflix challenger. In December, Disney said the platform had 86.8 million subscribers — this quarter that number grew to 94.9 million subscribers. Disney credited the streaming service’s release of Pixar’s “Soul” and the second season of “The Mandalorian” with attracting new users. Across all of its services, which also include Hulu and ESPN Plus, Disney had 146 million subscribers.
"They have to do it or they will have no money for future movies" :pie_eyeroll:

Fbh

So they'll continue to make the same sort of movies.... but now with the straight to DVD quality and production values of most streaming service movies.

Awesome.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Why should I wait? It not like the content is changed in anyway?

Oh right, we wait so the corporation can make more money selling the same product for 3x the price because general public are weak to FUD. Personally i don't really care about these companies bottom line, so...whatever.

"funding future movies" Please, fuck out of here with that nonsense. Yeah, i'm sure 45 day release windows is all that is keeping companies like Disney out of bankruptcy. They could never make money with streaming.

"They have to do it or they will have no money for future movies" :pie_eyeroll:
Oh sure, you're right. They need to keep that vault full of unspent scrooge mcduck money they have no intention of spending.

Says a person who has a 5th grader's understanding of how corporations work.

But, honestly, I don't care any more. The theaters let the government steamroll over them with their bullshit COVID regulations and then they just let the movie studios walk away with all their profits without putting up a fight. So, fuck all of em. But, above fuck pirates. Still have to be a lowlife cheapskate piece of shit that thinks they have the moral high ground by not paying for shit normal people don't seem to mind paying for.

Top Bottom