• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper, Ocarina of Time among 2022 World Video Game Hall of Fame nominees

Bullet Club

PaRappa the Rapper, Ocarina of Time among 2022 World Video Game Hall of Fame nominees​

The Strong Museum has named the 12 games shortlisted for this years World Video Game Hall of Fame inductees, which include titles like Dance Dance Revolution and Sid Meier's Civilization.

iXmMCAZ.jpg

Rochester, New York's Strong museum has nominated a fresh batch of notable games to be considered for entry into the World Video Game Hall of Fame for 2022, and this year's candidates are a truly eclectic bunch.

The full list of nominees covers games ranging from the classic arcade era to the Xbox 360. Four will go on to be permanently listed in the Strong museum's video game hall of fame. This year, the museum decided to nominate the following games (listed in alphabetical order):
  • Assassin’s Creed (2007)
  • Candy Crush Saga (2012)
  • Dance Dance Revolution (1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
  • Minesweeper (1990)
  • Ms. Pac-Man (1982)
  • NBA Jam (1993)
  • PaRappa the Rapper (1996)
  • Resident Evil (1996)
  • Rogue (1980)
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization (1991)
  • Words with Friends (2009)
(Fun fact: Minesweeper doesn't have a definitive release date. Microsoft's version first released in 1990, but the game was being played as far back as the '60s.)

Winners will be selected by an assembly of ballots from journalists, scholars, and the public. The final inductees will be announced in a virtual ceremony by The Strong museum.

Source: Game Developer

yurinka

Parappa started the music/rythm games, it's the most innovative and influential game of the list. It created a genre. And Resident Evil almost the same even if there was Alone in the Dark before. If I'd have to choose two I'd get these ones.

IMO Ocarina is overrated, back then wasn't as good as the first one, the GB one or the SNES were at their time, tech wise back then was a blurry mess with all the fog and so on and its gameplay wasn't pretty good. I think many people got it glorified because N64 was their first console and didn't play the previous ones. If they want to put a N64 game there I'd put Mario 64 instead, it was way better.

Last edited:
Parappa started the music/rythm games, it's the most innovative and influential game of the list. It created a genre. And Resident Evil almost the same even if there was Alone in the Dark before. If I'd have to choose two I'd get these ones.
As sad as I am to say this, but if we go by "influence", Candy Crush Saga wins. For all the wrong reasons.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Civilization and Rogue get my vote... sorry Resident Evil I love you... but your just not as impactful as the those two.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That is such a random list

These don't belong.

That is such a random list

These don't belong.

Assassin's Creed is an archetypical modern AAA high-budget, cinematic singleplayer game that spawned a popular franchise.

Candy Crush Saga is the ur-example of modern, Free-to-play Pay-to-win mobile game that plagued the entire portable game market. As I said, if we were arguing merit based on "influence", Candy Crush Saga arguably beats Ocarina of Time (Which I'd argue is just LttP in 3D with Mario 64's engine, making it arguably one of the more derivative games on the list). Words with Friends is similar with the "Free with Ads, pay to remove them" model which an be seen as a sort of predecessor to Candy Crush's sales scheme.

I'd argue Ms. Pac-Man should win (in fact, I'm betting it's only being held back by legal disputes between Namco-Bandai and AtGames), but I don't feel like any of these choices are as out there as other video game rewards.

Basically this. AITD did start the survival-horror genre in a sense, but Resident Evil refined it into something much better. And it was Resident Evil that pretty much all successive survival-horror games took their cues from, not Alone in the Dark.

That being said I almost think Resident Evil 4 should be there over the original; as impactful as RE was, RE4 pretty much standardized third-person action-adventure gaming as we see it today. Gears of War, Dead Space, Mass Effect, God of War 2018, etc...all of those games took from RE4's template even if they weren't survival-horror. The original Resident Evil didn't have that level of influence on game design as a whole.

But if RE4 was already nominated a previous year and won, then never mind.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ocarina of time is the complete package things like the steep gorons on death mountain, super interesting side quests make it a powerhouse.

video games nintendo GIF

SeraphJan

For people dismissing AC, It was the 2007 original AC, not the later open world ones. The original AC is a very good game

SeraphJan

Isn't ACII considered to be better in almost every metric?
I'm not saying its not, I'm saying AC 2007 is a good game

AC franchise only get a bad rep after they ditched what made them good in the first place by riding the open world bandwagon, that's the point I'm making

Last edited:

yurinka

Isn't ACII considered to be better in almost every metric?
Yes. The first one added many important things to open world games like the climbing, verticality, stealth and many things but even if back then was really impressive it ended being a half assed buggy mess. ACII instead was more polished and included many things they didn't have time to include it in the first one.

yurinka

As sad as I am to say this, but if we go by "influence", Candy Crush Saga wins. For all the wrong reasons.
Candy Crush is probably the most successful game of the list, but it's a ripoff and there were many very similar games before it, both in mobile and before it on browser etc.

I'd argue Ms. Pac-Man should win (in fact, I'm betting it's only being held back by legal disputes between Namco-Bandai and AtGames), but I don't feel like any of these choices are as out there as other video game rewards.
Ms. Pac-Man was only one of many hundreds of Pac-Man unoficial bootleg games, but got more popular because Midway (US distributor of Pac-Man) bought it. Midway agreed a deal with Namco, the creator of the original Pac-Man, who later got the rights of the game.

Last edited:
Ms. Pac-Man was only one of many hundreds of Pac-Man unoficial bootleg games, but got more popular because Midway (US distributor of Pac-Man) bought it.
That's heavily downplaying Ms. Pac-Man's actual quality and impact. Can you tell me which other "unofficial bootleg" had varying level layouts, more dynamic enemy AI or even the subtle mechanical difference of bouncing, moving fruit, and is known to have been in existence in a timeframe when Ms. Pac-Man was new? This is probably a tough question since the history of bootlegs is a bit difficult to research, but I doubt Ms. Pac-Man was just a game that got "lucky", especially when bootlegs are in general considered crap.

Ms. Pac-Man was the original "bigger and better than the last entry in every way" sequel from which most of our expectations of a sequel to a game have as a foundation.

Handel

My four would be :

OoT
Resident Evil
Civilization
Rogue

All but OoT were what popularized their respective genres (rogue-likes and rogue-lites are named after Rogue...it's getting way too little attention ITT), with OoT being an important game in the industry due to Z-targeting among other things.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
with OoT being an important game in the industry due to Z-targeting among other things.
OOT alongside Mario 64, Doom, Quake, Ultima Underworld, FF7, Tomb Raider (and a few more) are among the most impactful and influential games of all time. Almost anything you see in 3D gaming today can be traced back to those games.
OOT's influence shouldn't be understated.

Handel

OOT alongside Mario 64, Doom, Quake, Ultima Underworld, FF7, Tomb Raider (and a few more) are among the most impactful and influential games of all time. Almost anything you see in 3D gaming today can be traced back to those games.
OOT's influence shouldn't be understated.
FFVII is not comparable to the rest of these in the design space, it's impact is due to popularity based on an unprecedented and often misleading to consumers marketing campaign. GTA III and Ico are much more influential in this regard than FFVII.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
FFVII is not comparable to the rest of these in the design space, it's impact is due to popularity based on an unprecedented and often misleading to consumers marketing campaign. GTA III and Ico are much more influential in this regard than FFVII.
I think it deserves a mention due to it being one of the first AAA games and making JRPGs more popular in the west. Design wise not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parappa started the music/rythm games, it's the most innovative and influential game of the list. It created a genre.
"I'm workin' in the flea market so early.

I've been working here since my mama was a baby.

Just because the rhythm is slow, that don't mean that you can't flow."

yurinka

"I'm workin' in the flea market so early.

I've been working here since my mama was a baby.

Just because the rhythm is slow, that don't mean that you can't flow."
The game has a lot of iconic moments. Like the chop chop master onion one, the car license exam, the 'boss rush' in the cue of the toilet of a concert and the final song in the concert with the crowd singing...

It also did it with a very unique and innovative art style, music style and gameplay style to the point it created a new genre. Pure innovation and creativity, and made it in a way that all these things worked both separatedly and together.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

PaRappa the Rapper, Ocarina of Time among 2022 World Video Game Hall of Fame nominees​

The Strong Museum has named the 12 games shortlisted for this years World Video Game Hall of Fame inductees, which include titles like Dance Dance Revolution and Sid Meier's Civilization.

iXmMCAZ.jpg

Rochester, New York's Strong museum has nominated a fresh batch of notable games to be considered for entry into the World Video Game Hall of Fame for 2022, and this year's candidates are a truly eclectic bunch.

The full list of nominees covers games ranging from the classic arcade era to the Xbox 360. Four will go on to be permanently listed in the Strong museum's video game hall of fame. This year, the museum decided to nominate the following games (listed in alphabetical order):
  • Dance Dance Revolution (1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
  • Minesweeper (1990)
  • Ms. Pac-Man (1982)
  • NBA Jam (1993)
  • PaRappa the Rapper (1996)
  • Resident Evil (1996)
  • Rogue (1980)
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization (1991)
(Fun fact: Minesweeper doesn't have a definitive release date. Microsoft's version first released in 1990, but the game was being played as far back as the '60s.)

Winners will be selected by an assembly of ballots from journalists, scholars, and the public. The final inductees will be announced in a virtual ceremony by The Strong museum.

Source: Game Developer

CANDY CRUSH????!!!!:messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

93xfan

Banned

IMO Ocarina is overrated, back then wasn't as good as the first one, the GB one or the SNES were at their time, tech wise back then was a blurry mess with all the fog and so on and its gameplay wasn't pretty good. I think many people got it glorified because N64 was their first console and didn't play the previous ones. If they want to put a N64 game there I'd put Mario 64 instead, it was way better.
Started with the original Zelda. Loved it and ALttP. Even so, I was blown away by Ocarina. Graphics were fantastic for the time, btw.

Don’t disagree about Mario 64 being worthy of that list though.

A.Romero

I'd vote for Asscreed because I really liked the old Asscreed. However, if it's supposed to be the most influential I think Dance Dance Revolution had a greater impact than the rest.

Top Bottom