• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasyte -The Maxim- |OT| Talk To The Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always nice when a series acknowledge that protagonists aren't birthed from the aether and if they're in high school they likely live with their parents.

Everytime I read/watch something where the hot kid lives alone in a luxury apartment/condo because his/her parents are rich and we're supposed to sympathize with them, I consider stopping right there. Such a cheap tactic to promote high school relationships and tropes (going to the apartment, taking care while sick, etc..)

Which makes all of those shows with parents that have more than 3 lines all the better.

hoggert

Wow, after ending up watching the show just because I felt Right was hilariously "miscast".... Damn, this is good! CG on crowd scenes was pretty terrible, but the direction on key stuff is so gooood. As for the parents, please keep watching 🙊

duckroll

Episode 1

That was pretty good. Really nice animation, brisk pace, it wasn't a straight adaptation but conveyed the tone and the premise pretty well. I love the softness of the character designs and how pleasant they are to look at. The morphing effects are really well done too. It just wouldn't be as interesting if the visuals couldn't carry the concept. They seem to have a goo grip on how to make this an interesting show, so I'm not worried about what they could to condense and change around. The ending animation is so pretty. Too bad about the OP song though. :p

Oh and I feel that this show proves once again that Aya Hirano is a REALLY talented voice actress with a ton of range. If only she didn't attract so much negative attention because of her personal antics, I don't think the internet would have this perception of her. Whenever she takes on a different sort of role, she always impresses.

hoggert

Yo, like wtf bro. The OP was pretty sweet. ED was objectively terrible on all fronts unless you liked it, because then I'll disagree with you in a constructive way that cannot be construed from this post.

Oh, and I might have given the impression of disliking Hirano earlier. She's an amazing VA with a fantastic range. It's just the drama (more so the commentary on the drama by GINTA=MAN to be honest, since I don't give a shit about any celebrities personal lives) has sort of colored my judgement on any performance she does. Hirano's got a far above average vocal spectrum and it's sorta of shitty anything she does is influenced by "oh, she skipped the bassist lol" or whatever.

ZoddGutts

Dat boob grab got my seal of approval, will continue watching this series.

Oh, and I might have given the impression of disliking Hirano earlier. She's an amazing VA with a fantastic range. It's just the drama (more so the commentary on the drama by GINTA=MAN to be honest, since I don't give a shit about any celebrities personal lives) has sort of colored my judgement on any performance she does. Hirano's got a far above average vocal spectrum and it's sorta of shitty anything she does is influenced by "oh, she skipped the bassist lol" or whatever.

Skipping on the bassist is pretty shitty, if your gonna bang your bandmates don't skip on the bassit if your banging the damn drummist too.

Qvoth

what the fuck? isn't the manga like super old? like 20-30 years ago old? why is this getting an anime version now?

Parasyte 01

Really impressed by how fluid all the animation was. Also impressed that the monster designs look just as gruesome as they should be. That brostep tho =/

you know not many have mentioned it, but the parents of Parasyte were a highlight. They had actual personalities of real life parents. The dad is especially great, since dads in anime are usually a side character that they see once in a while. This one had personality and a sense of humor. Also iPads.

I was totaly caught off guard about how great the parents are. I went in expecting the parents to get killed off because this is anime and wasn't even going to bat an eyelash, but now I'm kind of scared about their chances of survival.

Jex

You know what the most fantastic and unbelievable part of this episode is? The main character sleeps with his glasses on. I mean, who does that?

Dresden

Dude basically passed out in the middle, he had his glasses off like a normal human being in the beginning!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I sometimes sleep with my glasses on. Mostly when I just pass out on the bed while listening to podcasts or music.

Blusby

what the fuck? isn't the manga like super old? like 20-30 years ago old? why is this getting an anime version now?

IIRC it's because some studios, notably Angry films and New Line Cinema held the rights to Parasyte from 1999 until just last year, now Toho is able to make a film outta' it and we get our niffy lil' animu.

wonzo

Banned
You know what the most fantastic and unbelievable part of this episode is? The main character sleeps with his glasses on. I mean, who does that?
i do it all the time when i drink way too much

and whenever i nod off while reading

TheRancor

Parasyte 1

Based Aya Hirano. Based Tadashi Hiramatsu.

What's up with the music though.

--------------------------------

ibSMF9THOQqe4.png

Wait wat.

Ep 1

Yeah, this is AOTS right here.

As an adaptation, Madhouse tackled this in a pretty interesting way. The tone feels a bit more subdued based on the somber music at points. It's different, but it works. And of course, there's some liberties taken with the designs and time period, but that shouldn't affect much beyond some nifty additions here and there (Migi on the computer being one instance).

That being said, there are a few minor issues I have. I feel like reordering the sequence of events in the beginning messed with the flow a bit, which was further messed with with the exclusion of certain scenes. In the manga, we see
the alien crawling into the ear of the guy that bit his wife's head off before Migi's proper introduction. By seeing the threat of the invaders, you're not thinking of these things as potential allies, whereas you don't get much context by just seeing a guy's face split apart and eat someone. It's subtle, but it does change one's expectations going forward, even if it's irrelevant in the long, or even short run.
There was also a satisfying bully jobber fight cut out, which would have been nice. Let's not even get started on the exclusion of penis arm (provided it won't show up next episode).

I'm still damn satisfied with this and ecstatic it's finally getting not only an anime after all these years, but a well-produced one from a great team.

Ruuppa

Loved the manga in the past, always wondered why there wasn't an anime about it. Definitely going to watch the first episode later today.

Kinyou

That was pretty good. I like how they updated the setting to the present with stuff like iPads etc.

Only annoying part was the dubstep music.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ep.1 impression

Holy crap. This is great. The directing, editing, animation (other than bystander CG lol!), all is top notch. The body horror is extremely well done. The pace is really good. It's fast, but not without making the audience feel lost.

I've read the manga before, so i know what to expect of the story. madhouse did a proper adaptation on this one. Modernize the setting while still keeping the plot intact. Fucking amazing. No censorship to boot. Dammit. I'm in this. This is even better than FSN UBW ep. 1

janoDX

Episode 1 was amazing, it was well adapted but with some liberties, music was Okay, but knowing MadHouse they should make an amazing series.

MIGI IS LOVE MIGI IS LIFE. Aya Hirano is the best voice actress of Anime.

Blusby

I hope that the drop in quality within the next few eps isn't be too bad considering that Hiramatsu won't be the animation director.

Finalow

dude those glasses should have been broken by now.

I'm liking this, seems interesting enough and I think that they did a damn fine job with all the designs, animations of the parasytes (or whatever they are) and the visuals.

Caught episode 1 and it's pretty good. I'll mostly just echo the comments made by others: great animation, strong characterization, pleasant pace, appropriately disgusting body horror, good Aya Hirano voice acting, weird dubstep, bad OP song, etc. Overall, an excellent way to handle an adaptation, staying true to the core story while not being afraid to alter details and modernize the setting. I did feel the non-chronological splitting up of the prologue was a bit unnecessary though; it would have been just as well if they had run that all in order at the beginning and then continued with everything else. I guess they wanted to have a bookend for the first episode, but it came off as a bit disjointed because of that. Ah well, not a big issue. Hopefully the production will keep up.

Yeah the jumping in the chronological order only really worked for me for the alien scene where he had the cable. The opening and closing though left me confused a bit.

JJD

How's the animation? And the gore?

I've read the manga not too long ago, if the animation is good I might watch this.

Alucrid

Banned
Same band did HxH's first ending for them- they have a relationship.

Ehhh...well at least i can skip it while streaming.

How's the animation? And the gore?

I've read the manga not too long ago, if the animation is good I might watch this.

Some parts seemed sorta rough, one noticeable one was a bunch of students walking on the street near the start.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think they way the mom prepare bacon and eggs (two streaks frying and then crack an egg over those two) might be my new favourite way of doing bacon and eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom