• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGAF: What is the right age to show a kid Jaws?

Self explanatory.

It's rated 'PG' but that's early 80s PG.

I remember seeing it when I was like 7 or 8 and it literally traumatized me for life. I couldn't go in the deep end of a swimming pool without hearing the theme. To this day it's in the back of my mind whenever I'm in the ocean.

One of my kids loves sharks and shark week and I'd love to show him Jaws but can't think when the right time would be. What say you, GAF?

nush

As a kid when I watch it, the shark bits were scary, but everything else was REALLY fucking boring.

Show them Duel first, same thing, much better (for kids).

My biggest dilemma I guess is how scary is it to a first time viewer in the year of our lord 2020.

Feels like the stuff we see on the daily now is scarier than the movie, but I'm not sure.

Kagey K

Banned
They are probably at about the right age to see it.

It’s supposed to scare you and if you wait until they are 12 or 13 they are probably going to see worse things that will make them immune to it.

If they have seen other creepy kids stuff like Corpse Bride or Coraline and they are OK with it they would probably be OK with Jaws.

I had seen Psycho, Childs Play (That one got me), Lots of Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street already when I was that age.

Keep the hardcore gore stuff away until they get older, but Jaws is fairly tame as far as horror goes.

TaySan

Banned
That's probably about the right age for it. Any older and it wouldn't have the same effect on them.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I saw Jaws when I was 6. I was scared of going to the lake for like a full year. I would wait at least a bit.

BigBooper

Depends on the kid. If they can take it I think as young as five. One of mine is nine though and she'd be terrified.

Kagey K

Banned
I feel like some of you are missing the point, it was supposed to terrify you.

Later in life it’s funny to look back on as schlock, but as a kid you were meant to be scared by it.

Also,I’d they do seem freaked out you can show them the sequels which will dilute their fear after they see how stupid it gets.

It’s like they baked the antidote in.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I feel like some of you are missing the point, it was supposed to terrify you.

Later in life it’s funny to look back on as schlock, but as a kid you were meant to be scared by it.
True words, but you do still have to be able to sleep at night. Don't want the kid coming crying to you all night because they're scared.

Kagey K

Banned
True words, but you do still have to be able to sleep at night. Don't want the kid coming crying to you all night because they're scared.
I edited my post right before you replied, but the sequels will eliminate the fear, if they really get that scared.

Bryank75

Banned
I dunno, 6-7 maybe if they understand it's not real and you explain to them that sharks don't attack humans aggressively usually. That they have no hands and that is how they check what something is.
A bit like Edward Scissorhands.

My parents showed it to me 1 week before our first trip to Florida (I was probably 5 or 6). My parents were sick that way.

Another terrible one was when I was about 10 or 11 one of our neighbors got a little capuchin monkey. So naturally the day before we went to see the monkey they showed me Outbreak.
Your parents are smart. No animals. If you wanted a dog they'd probably show you cujo the next day.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
It's hard to know...

I saw Jaws at age 9 and it scarred me for years. I never learned to swim, and sharks still freak me out to this day.

On the other hand, I saw Predator just a couple of years later and it became one of my all-time favorite movies. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

farmerboy

Self explanatory.

It's rated 'PG' but that's early 80s PG.

I remember seeing it when I was like 7 or 8 and it literally traumatized me for life. I couldn't go in the deep end of a swimming pool without hearing the theme. To this day it's in the back of my mind whenever I'm in the ocean.

One of my kids loves sharks and shark week and I'd love to show him Jaws but can't think when the right time would be. What say you, GAF?

You wanna entertain them or fuck with them?

trikster40

That depends. How soon do you want them to go back into the water? I’m going to show my kids around 35, maybe 40.

drganon

I saw it when I was seven. Still dont go in the ocean. Great movie though. Better than pretty much most of the garbage released now.

Top Bottom