• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parents, how is your life different now compared to your life without kids?

bitbydeath

I have 3 young kids.
I don’t get to the movies much anymore and overseas trips are pretty much a no-go, but the good of kids in general certainly outweighs out the bad.

My oldest just started school this year, so it is great seeing how she is adapting to it all.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Me and my wife are trying to have kids, and although I told her that i'm ready to be a father, i'm not sure i am.. How do you get ready for something like that?

You don't. There's absolutely no preparing you for what's about to happen. Unless you're unstable (financially, mentally or in your relationship), I'd say go for it. If you love your wife and are excited about the prospect of playing with your kid in the garden, at the playground or whatever, go for it.

You won't regret it. Becoming a dad is the best goddamn thing that can happen to (almost) anyone.

My two oldest are adults, and the youngest will be 18 this year and lives with his mom a few blocks from me. So It's a lot how you are probably with your parents, just inverse.

My life is better in every way. Before kids I lived this carefree, amazing happy life where I felt things had fallen into place. Having kids changed that for the better and gave me a real, core instinctual sense of purpose on this planet. The first few years my wife and I hunkered down financially and saved all our extra money to a house payment. 6 years later we bought a dream house in a great school district to raise our family.

Life is great

Livia

You don't. There's absolutely no preparing you for what's about to happen. Unless you're unstable (financially, mentally or in your relationship), I'd say go for it. If you love your wife and are excited about the prospect of playing with your kid in the garden, at the playground or whatever, go for it.

You won't regret it. Becoming a dad is the best goddamn thing that can happen to (almost) anyone.

Thx man! This was great to hear.

bigedole

I've got 2, 9 months and 4 and a half. Like others have said, you're never ready for your first kid. It's an experience that is really unlike anything else and it teaches you a lot about who you are and what your human nature is like. I always thought I was a patient and understanding human being, but my son really taught me otherwise. I'd see myself losing a bit of control and reacting to things in ways I was unfamiliar with, and it really forced me to confront some aspects of my personality that I did not like. I've learned to be a better person, and now I'm much more able to be who I thought I was before my son was born as I've grown with him these past 4 years. I already know I will be a much better parent to my daughter as we go through the same developmental stages that I've already been through with my son, and it's definitely not because I love her more or anything, I just know more about myself and what it means to be a parent now than I did 4 years ago.

It is amazing to watch a baby become a toddler, and a toddler become a small child. I really can't imagine what it'll be like when my son is 8, or 12, or 18, but watching him develop has been an experience I will always cherish and I am so excited to see who he continues to become. You will make mistakes, and probably do a couple things that you regret after the fact. Just keep an open mind and try to learn from your experiences so that you can be better next time. Take some time for yourself as you're able to and be understanding of what your partner is going through. When my son was first born, I'd hold him at night to let my wife sleep and play on my 3DS. I've always managed to find some time to play games, which is pretty much my only hobby. Like others have said, it has mostly come when everyone else is asleep but I'm pretty excited to start playing games with my son too :) My wife is not, but she knows this is not a battle she can win! Just always remember to take a step back and try to enjoy the journey, it happens fast and things I thought I'd never forget (my son's first word, his first real food) I now find myself struggling to recall.

My 7 year old is my best friend we play switch do homework eat junk food even when mom says no!

My 5 month old is NOT my best friend lol

I have a 10 year old boy who is games mad and a 1 year old girl who takes up all of my time that I could play some games in. I do my gaming vicariously through my little lad, watching him play battlefront 2 mostly and wishing I could have a go the odd time. But as they get older you get a bit more free time. Since my daughter has been born I did manage to complete Witcher 3 and the DLC so maybe I'm exaggerating about how little time I get to play games because they are pretty big time sinks.

mrkgoo

I've got 2, 9 months and 4 and a half. Like others have said, you're never ready for your first kid. It's an experience that is really unlike anything else and it teaches you a lot about who you are and what your human nature is like. I always thought I was a patient and understanding human being, but my son really taught me otherwise. I'd see myself losing a bit of control and reacting to things in ways I was unfamiliar with, and it really forced me to confront some aspects of my personality that I did not like. I've learned to be a better person, and now I'm much more able to be who I thought I was before my son was born as I've grown with him these past 4 years. I already know I will be a much better parent to my daughter as we go through the same developmental stages that I've already been through with my son, and it's definitely not because I love her more or anything, I just know more about myself and what it means to be a parent now than I did 4 years ago.

It is amazing to watch a baby become a toddler, and a toddler become a small child. I really can't imagine what it'll be like when my son is 8, or 12, or 18, but watching him develop has been an experience I will always cherish and I am so excited to see who he continues to become. You will make mistakes, and probably do a couple things that you regret after the fact. Just keep an open mind and try to learn from your experiences so that you can be better next time. Take some time for yourself as you're able to and be understanding of what your partner is going through. When my son was first born, I'd hold him at night to let my wife sleep and play on my 3DS. I've always managed to find some time to play games, which is pretty much my only hobby. Like others have said, it has mostly come when everyone else is asleep but I'm pretty excited to start playing games with my son too :) My wife is not, but she knows this is not a battle she can win! Just always remember to take a step back and try to enjoy the journey, it happens fast and things I thought I'd never forget (my son's first word, his first real food) I now find myself struggling to recall.
This is a great post.

I've always maintained the notion that one of the gifts you get form having kids is how you better understand yourself. You learn where your own limits are, if you didn't before, or limits for things you didn't know you had. Your limits get pushed, and sometime surpassed, but you adjust them and you grow as a person.

Oh man, that first time when you realise your kid is becoming a little version of yourself, all your bad traits reflected straight back at you, with no-one else to blame. An eye-opener for sure.

And wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world :)

Top Bottom