• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parents, what are your schooling plans?

Ornlu

Banned
In our case, we have a kid in HS, a kid in elementary, and a kid just starting. We're probably going to end up letting the HS kid go to school, and homeschool the 2 younger ones. Our neighbors are homeschooling their 4 kids.

My neighbors have the same work setup as us (husbands work full time, wives work some part-time), and the families are really close, so we will probably do like a joint homeschool, with each wife taking over a couple days a week. We'll see how it works out!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I get that you don't like remote learning and want to send yourchild to school. But, in order to do this, you can't force the teachers, staff, etc. to go back to school if the environment is not safe.
I'm not forcing anything. My tax money is "wasted" anyway because in my case I pay for private schooling. I'm making a free market decision to not spend money at the private school because it won't likely be able to offer my kids the in-classroom experience anyway. If my wife and I are going to be teaching the kids, making sure they read and watch the videos, etc, we may as well spend the extra time and teach them ourselves.

Public schools are not prepared for fall 2020. Kids are gonna have the floor fall out from underneath if their parents aren't pursuing alternate methods / supplemental schooling for their kids. Even if you boot up some youtube videos, a few hours a week, and make your kids learn something, or make them read a book of your choice per month, etc, the gov't is utterly failing to provide an adequate schooling experience for our kids in 2020.

I think remote learning has many advantages. You do not (I assume from your text).
lol I literally teach adults from europe how to do customer service for American companies. It's not a matter of me failing to see its advantages, I'm just fully aware of the disadvantages. If I'm going to be streaming in a video with the purpose of teaching my kids, I'll go to professionals who've been doing such online courses for years, not some sloppy thrown-together plan dictated by the Michigan governor.

Fine. So start petitioning your school district to provide gear for the teachers /students/staff. But don't make it sound that teachers have to provide in-person teaching in an environment that is not safe. They did not sign up for this or even get the hazard pay grocery store workers got (of which 11,500 so far have died due to CV). If you don't want your child in public schools (for which you seem to have many complaints about), do something about it.
Like I said, the tax money I generously give to these schools is already a wash for me. I've had my kids in private schooling for years. I don't think the gov't is competent enough to deliver a sufficient education, so I'm not gonna play the same old "if only they had more money" game that the bleeding hearts always play. If teachers don't want to provide face to face education and allow children to interact with other kids face to face, then my children are not being provided an adequate learning experience. The premise is that teachers are gravely at risk from this disease, but they aren't gravely at risk, especially not around children.

The attitude of "well if you don't like it, do something about it" is borderline Stockholm Syndrome and I've heard it my whole life regarding public school. The rates of literacy and competency these programs churn out are not impressive. i have family that works for a small college in their remedial writing course, to catch students up. She teaches adults who have no learning disabilities but otherwise have the literacy of a 3rd grader, getting them caught up for standard college courses. she has worked there for almost 20 years in this role, and she always has a fresh wave of students, dumber and dumber each year. Not my responsibility to stupefy my kids in the public system while I patiently attend all the parent-teacher meetings and bring up the occasional suggestion.

oagboghi2

There's no need for me to tbh. Your post has already demonstrated a high level of ignorance, self centeredness, and the lack of common reasoning. You clearly don't understand the data nor the virus you're referencing and are simply parroting talking points force fed to you. It is your right to be ignorant and hopefully, the consequences of your ignorance are localized to you and you alone. That is all.
uhh the data clearly shows that kids are not dying from this at the same rate as any older group. You want to jump down this dudes thoat, but he is clearly more correct than you are

We just got word that my kids school is going to have in person classes. Now the teacher’s union is throwing a fit and sent a letter to the Governor bitching. I love the idea teacher think they don’t need to do their job while grocery store workers and gas station attendants who get paid $10 an hour are considered essential employees. Don’t even discuss docking their pay though. Teaching from your couch is just as much work as teaching students in person.

Last edited:

Cycom

Banned
Both my sons go to private school. If they pull the distance learning bullshit I’m going to pull them out. Fuck L.A. and California in general. Our archdiocese here is pathetic. The archbishop is a weakling and does whatever LAUSD does. Coward.

Cycom

Banned
We just got word that my kids school is going to have in person classes. Now the teacher’s union is throwing a fit and sent a letter to the Governor bitching. I love the idea teacher think they don’t need to do their job while grocery store workers and gas station attendants who get paid $10 an hour are considered essential employees. Don’t even discuss docking their pay though. Teaching from your couch is just as much work as teaching students in person.
Oh man, that’s infuriating. I’m actually a credentialed teacher and can say that teacher’s unions are trash and many teachers are ignorant, entitled crybabies.

uhh the data clearly shows that kids are not dying from this at the same rate as any older group. You want to jump down this dudes thoat, but he is clearly more correct than you are
It was never about kids dying. Only a simpleton would think, "oh kids aren't dying so its not a problem". Such terrible linear reasoning. If you can't figure out why its a problem, then try expanding your scope outside yourself. You might figure it out then smh.

Finally, for some people who go through Corona, it would have been better for them to die. Idiots see Corona and say, oh they survived so it's all well and good. The smart ones actually look beyond the arbitrary metric of death vs life and look at its effect on qol. I dont like to criticize groups of people but you Americans on this forum are insufferable. Your cognitive deficiencies seriously give Americans a bad rep.

oagboghi2

It was never about kids dying. Only a simpleton would think, "oh kids aren't dying so its not a problem". Such terrible linear reasoning. If you can't figure out why its a problem, then try expanding your scope outside yourself. You might figure it out then smh.
We closed schools down in the first place because we weren't sure how deadly it was for children. Now that the data shows that they deal with it very well, a shift in policy is back on the table.

This is not an American idea, by the way. Multiple other countries are already allowing their schools to open again.

No one is saying covid isn't a problem, you POS. You're making crap up because what you said was wrong

Finally, for some people who go through Corona, it would have been better for them to die. Idiots see Corona and say, oh they survived so it's all well and good. The smart ones actually look beyond the arbitrary metric of death vs life and look at its effect on qol.
What an incredibly stupid thing to say.

"I wished more people died so I can scare others into agreeing with my policy decisions."

Well sorry princess, but we aren't working within the parameters of a 100% death rate as you apparently want.🙄

You know what else has an effect on quality of life. Lockdowns and economic recessions

I dont like to criticize groups of people but you Americans on this forum are insufferable. Your cognitive deficiencies seriously give Americans a bad rep.

Not an American, but feels the need to criticize Americans. What a suprise.
How about you fuck off and worry about your own country.

Finally, for some people who go through Corona, it would have been better for them to die. Idiots see Corona and say, oh they survived so it's all well and good. The smart ones actually look beyond the arbitrary metric of death vs life and look at its effect on qol. I dont like to criticize groups of people but you Americans on this forum are insufferable. Your cognitive deficiencies seriously give Americans a bad rep.
Of course it was about kids dying. That’s why schools keep taking about kids being “safe”. The disease in children is incredibly mild. There is next to no quality of life impact from covid in children. There is however, a pretty significant impact from isolating them from their peers and stunting their education with half-assed online “school”.

Then again, for a guy that calls other people ignorant, you sure don’t mind castigating an entire country’s people based on whatever limited knowledge you have of them. But it seems like you’re big on projecting your ignorance on to others.

Last edited:
We closed schools down in the first place because we weren't sure how deadly it was for children. Now that the data shows that they deal with it very well, a shift in policy is back on the table.

1) This is not an American idea, by the way. Multiple other countries are already allowing their schools to open again.

No one is saying covid isn't a problem, you POS. You're making crap up because what you said was wrong

2) What an incredibly stupid thing to say.

"I wished more people died so I can scare others into agreeing with my policy decisions."

Well sorry princess, but we aren't working within the parameters of a 100% death rate as you apparently want.🙄

You know what else has an effect on quality of life. Lockdowns and economic recessions

3) Not an American, but feels the need to criticize Americans. What a suprise.
How about you fuck off and worry about your own country.
I'll only respond to the points in bold as the rest is idiotic drivel.

1) The reason school was shut down in the first place was never about the kids getting sick or dying. We already knew that while it affected kids, they were more resilient to the virus. The reason schools were shut down was because kids are super-spreaders. They're less likely to adhere to the policies in place and it an easy way to accelerate the rate of infection. Secondly, the whole point of "flattening the curve" has nothing to do with "curing" the virus. It's just to make sure that people who would have survived with treatment have access to said treatment otherwise you get another New York. Multiple tries and you couldn't deduce that. Since you operate on preschool level reasoning, let me spell out the rest for you. The reason other countries are reopening schools is because unlike your lot, they got their affairs in order. They've successfully contained their infections and done so admirably. They also well governed, well educated, and have plans and policies in place to curb a new outbreak of infections during reopening. Your lot on the other hand have nothing under control and in the face of undeniable evidence, continue to deny the obvious. In fact your lot have carelessly reopened only to close down again due to careless policies. If your stupidity were contained to your borders, I literally would not care. It is your right to operate in ignorance and it's your right do die in ignorance. However, when the consequences of your actions aren't localized to you, then it's a problem. Thankfully for now, my country and many others have completely shut down the borders for any American citizens.

2) Again, only someone who has no ability to reason and has done absolutely no research would affix political motive to my comment "it would be better for them to die". Surviving covid doesn't mean coming out unscathed. Due to it's blood clotting mechanisms, it can seriously screw an individual and affect their quality of life. A highly functioning individual can find themselves no longer able to do the things they were once able to. We initial thought covid effects were limited to the lungs but we now know better. It affects all primary organs and can cause organ failure or seriously impair organ function. We also know that it now affects the brain as well. Reduced cognitive ability, impaired motor skills are some of the many new things we're now beginning to learn about the disease. People have lost limbs, some have had organ failure, others are stuck on oxygen for the rest of their life. These are effects that will stay with them long after the virus has "left" them. This impacts their ability to work and earn a living and it drastically affects their quality of life. Couple this with the piss poor social safety net in the states and the lack of basic universal health care due to nothing but pure self-centeredness, it's a recipe for disaster.

Of course it was about kids dying. That’s why schools keep taking about kids being “safe”. The disease in children is incredibly mild. There is next to no quality of life impact from covid in children. There is however, a pretty significant impact from isolating them from their peers and stunting their education with half-assed online “school”.

3) Then again, for a guy that calls other people ignorant, you sure don’t mind castigating an entire country’s people based on whatever limited knowledge you have of them. But it seems like you’re big on projecting your ignorance on to others.

3) This last point is one raised by both users so I'll respond to both of you. I did not criticize Americans as a whole, I criticized Americans of this forum. Learn to read. I've interacted and worked with lots of brilliant and well reasoned Americans. Unfortunately, it's like a diamond in the rough here. To paraphrase your "supreme leader", America doesn't send their "best and brightest" to represent them on Gaf. Always with the linear reasoning. The inability to think or analyze things at a scope greater than the one you operate in is a common trait with many on this forum. In general, when an intelligent person receives criticism, they become introspective and attempt to verify the validity of the critique. If found to be valid, an intelligent person looks to rectify the perceived flaw. If everyone keeps criticizing you, it should signify that there's a problem. As we can see though, many of you specialize in denying the obvious. Again, to paraphrase your "supreme leader", “I think we’re going to be very good with the coronavirus. I think at some point that’s going to sort of just disappear, I hope". Since it's not disappearing as logic dictates, you've proceeded to falsifying data like some third world wannabe dictatorship. What a joke.

I'll only respond to the points in bold as the rest is idiotic drivel.

In general, when an intelligent person receives criticism, they become introspective and attempt to verify the validity of the critique. If found to be valid, an intelligent person looks to rectify the perceived flaw. If everyone keeps criticizing you, it should signify that there's a problem. As we can see though, many of you specialize in denying the obvious. Again, to paraphrase your "supreme leader", “I think we’re going to be very good with the coronavirus. I think at some point that’s going to sort of just disappear, I hope". Since it's not disappearing as logic dictates, you've proceeded to falsifying data like some third world wannabe dictatorship. What a joke.

Since you presumably consider yourself an "intelligent person", I would've expected to see more introspection and verification. But please, tell continue to tell us what an "intelligent person" does while demonstrating none of those qualities yourself.

As for the rest of that nonsense, please point me to the studies that show the prevalence of organ failure in recovered covid patients. I'm sure you have it handy since its such a concern. I'm sure you didn't read a few headlines and start making broad claims without "verification".

Last edited:
Since you presumably consider yourself an "intelligent person", I would've expected to see more introspection and verification. But please, tell continue to tell us what an "intelligent person" does while demonstrating none of those qualities yourself.

As for the rest of that nonsense, please point me to the studies that show the prevalence of organ failure in recovered covid patients. I'm sure you have it handy since its such a concern. I'm sure you didn't read a few headlines and start making broad claims without "verification".
So on top of all that I've already criticized you for, I can also add laziness to the list. This is literally 30 seconds of work. Go to the provided Link, scroll to the bottom, read the cited references and studies. Here, is the conclusion for you if that's too hard:
Conclusion
Multiorgan involvement has been apparent since the emergence of COVID-19—the rapidity of disease progression is widely influenced by the presence of comorbidities and of extrapulmonary organ injuries. ARDS, heart failure, renal failure, shock, and multiorgan failure precipitate death. Full attention to the comorbidities and potential organ injuries is therefore crucial in the implementation of preventative and protective measures. Acknowledging this could help in triaging the management of individual patients, minimizing the risk of decompensation. Alongside the rapid pace at which scientific results are shared, this paper hopes to add onto the ever-emerging landscape of medical knowledge on COVID-19.

This is from April and now we have even more data. This is why we do things analytically and don't just spew tales from our asses.

Last edited:
So on top of all that I've already criticized you for, I can also add laziness to the list. This is literally 30 seconds of work. Go to the provided Link, scroll to the bottom, read the cited references and studies. Here, is the conclusion for you if that's too hard:

This is from April and now we have even more data. This is why we do things analytically and don't just spew tales from our asses.
Remember when you said I needed to learn to read? PREVALENCE. Meaning frequency or how common something is. You're just stating that it happens. How often, especially in people who exhibit otherwise mild disease? Come on, intelligent person. Keep up. This is why we don't just cite the first google link we find.

Last edited:
Remember when you said I needed to learn to read. PREVALENCE. Meaning frequency or how common something is. You're just stating that it happens. How often, especially in people who exhibit otherwise mild disease? Come on, intelligent person. Keep up.
Are you looking for a gotcha? Your gotcha is the word prevalence on a rapidly evolving data set? I'm out. There's only so much idiocy I can tolerate.

Are you looking for a gotcha? Your gotcha is the word prevalence on a rapidly evolving data set? I'm out. There's only so much idiocy I can tolerate.
I'm looking for you to use all that intelligence, smart guy. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I guess. Better luck next time.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm probably jinxing it, but my kids have now finished two successful weeks of being back at school in the Memphis area. About 1/5 of the students chose distance learning.

Michigan doesn't start school until after Labor Day, but most (all?) the districts in my area have distance learning only for the first semester. My wife and I gave up on public schools. We're going to homeschool for this year at least.

Guileless Guileless
I'm glad to read that your school is doing the in-person learning, and not having too many issues. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

deafmedal

Kid is a senior in the Early College High School program. There will be no in person college classes (taught at the local CC). They have a choice whether to go to the high school campus for any high school classes, I am not sure what his decision will be and I don’t really care either so long as he graduates.

He is very upset about no in person college courses and extracurriculars. His social group is the only reason he is considering going to the high school campus as the high school classes he has to take are basically fluff. Shitty situation, I feel bad for him.

Top Bottom