• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Cringe 'Parks and Recreation' cast reuniting to help Wisconsin Democrats 'ensure that Trump loses'

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Wtf I'm voting for Biden now. Blumpf is surely finished this time!
The cast of NBC’s “Parks and Recreation” is reuniting in an effort to assist Democrats in the swing state of Wisconsin this upcoming election.

The cast of the popular sitcom, which ended in 2015, is getting back together to raise money for the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. Cast members Amy Poehler, Adam Scott, Aubrey Plaza, Retta, Nick Offerman, Jim O’Heir and series co-creator Michael Schur will join forces for a livestream event that will be open to anyone who donates at least $1 to the organization. Although a donation of $27 is suggested, the livestream will be open to anyone as long as they're willing to donate something to the organization.

“Anything you donate will be used to ensure that Trump loses Wisconsin, and thereby the White House,” the page to RSVP for the event reads.

However, the “Parks and Rec” gang isn’t the only cast reuniting to help Wisconsin Democrats in the upcoming election. Stars Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Carol Kane, Chris Sarandon, Mandy Patinkin, Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal and director Rob Reiner are coming together on Sept. 13 for a virtual script reading of the 1987 classic “The Princess Bride.” They’ll also have a Q&A segment hosted by comedian Patton Oswalt.

In a statement released through the party, Elwes said: "I think most people are aware by now that Donald Trump has completely abdicated his duties as president to represent and stand up for all Americans. He has failed to keep the country safe from COVID-19 and as a result, he is responsible for the devastating chaos, violence and economic collapse that we are now experiencing.”

“If America is going to have a real chance at healing we must get rid of Trump. And that is only possible if we win Wisconsin. I am thrilled to be part of this very rare reunion of my colleagues from "The Princess Bride" as a way to increase awareness and garner resources for the state that will determine the fate of America," the actor concluded.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Whoooo boy!!!! A bunch of celebrities telling me to vote Democratic just like every other celebrity! You know what?! I'm won over since I cant think for myself! Go Biden! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go buy some soy.

megalaserLAWS

Banned
Jul 10, 2020
I'm proud that I have never heard of that show and have never heard of any of those so called "actors" (bad faith actors?!?) listed in that article.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sep 4, 2018

VysePSU

Gold Member
May 9, 2019
Or just keep your money and decide for yourself who to vote for.

I've heard of the show but never watched it. Always thought it looked boring.

Last edited:

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
Or just keep your money and decide for yourself who to vote for.

I've heard of the show but never watched it. Always thought it looked boring.

Parks and Rec is sorta like The Office, but half the cast is annoying as shit.

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England
Parks and Rec is sorta like The Office, but half the cast is annoying as shit.
If you've ever worked for a government then you'd understand they're annoying morons because that is terrifyingly accurate. It's worryingly realistic satire sometimes.

Honestly, it's an excellent show, as long as you remember you're not meant to think of any of them as role models.

Well, maybe Ron Swanson sometimes.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
They really should take a lesson from Michael Jordan
Voters of the other side watch TV too.

Reactions: SpartanN92

OmegaSupreme

basic bitch
Apr 17, 2019
"Most of you have spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg". Most celebrities have no business preaching. They literally play pretend for a living and make more money than any ten of us. They don't have the same worries we do. Fuck em.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Saiyu and Iorv3th

Bernd Lauert

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2018
So a bunch of TV celebs who live in California want to persuade the working class in Wisconsin to vote for Biden, the man who shipped away their jobs to China? Good luck I guess.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I love Parks and Rec - brilliant little show, so I'll just avoid this so it doesn't become tainted. That said, I wonder if there's not a little bit of rage bait going on with that title (and SEO because mentioning Trump is good for clicks). If a few of the cast are getting together to support their chosen candidate, that's really not a big deal, regardless of which party. Now if they were to put out an episode of the show that was blatantly shilling for one side, that's a whole different ballgame. With all that said - this is a show that presented a conservative voice in a sympathetic light, let's face it everyone loves Ron, which shows that whatever their beliefs they can put out decent TV and keep their opinions to one side reasonably well (not a high bar to meet, but one that has not been met much of late so worth celebrating).

I don't think celebrities influence the vote as much as they think they do, but everyone's entitled to express their opinions and try to persuade others provided they do so with respect and within the confines of the law. Leave them to it, don't get riled by it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It's one of those shows that always leaned Left on politics (Leslie idolizes Hillary Clinton) but was mostly fair and stuck to the comedy. I never felt like my conservative beliefs were mocked. It was certainly trying to restore idealism and positive reputation of gov't agencies.

But I guess it's just another brand that they'll leverage to push their actual political agenda, all semblance of neutrality be damned. This tells me things must be really bad behind the scenes. You don't pull out all the stops when you're ahead in the race.

ExpandKong

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I will pay one dollar to watch if Amy and surprise guest Tina Fey finally come clean about tongue punching each other's baby makers for the past 20 years.

I still wanna see them.

Well I admire your conviction at least.

Good on Chris for staying out of this shit. I'm sure his colleagues aren't cursing him behind is back. He's the biggest star out of that group by a mile.

He's the Jennifer Anniston of Parks & Rec, if you will.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
They're against walls, yet they all live behind them
They're against guns, yet they all have armed security details
They're against Trump, yet they want you to vote for a guy who can't read his own thoughts without a teleprompter -- just like them.

See the trend here?

Reactions: Newly Vacant

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sep 2, 2007
All of show business from stage acting to movies tends to be dominated by non-religious liberal democrats. So this isn’t terribly surprising.

What is kinda hilarious is that coastal elites are participating in an event for people “somewhere north of Chicago” by their reckoning. This is also weird since Wisconsin has far more in common with an Indiana or a Missouri than they do a California.

Reactions: cabbage5k2

CeroFrio996

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Perhaps you should share yours instead of posting bullshit. Are you swayed by celebrity? I imagine you are so long as they agree with you.

I dont give a shit what a celebrity says, but im not going to piss and moan everytime they reveal that, yes they to have opinions.

OmegaSupreme

basic bitch
Apr 17, 2019
I dont give a shit what a celebrity says, but im not going to piss and moan everytime they reveal that, yes they to have opinions.
I don't see anyone pissing and moaning. I see a lot of people discussing the lack of value a celebrity has as a political pundit. Must be your self-loathing speaking out.

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
I do wonder who is swayed by this kind of thing. I mean, the city-dwelling liberal consoomer who gets all of their info from Blue Check Marks, MSM, and snarky blogs is already all-in on whomever the Democrats pick, but I wonder if this kind of mass coordinated effort on behalf of Hollywood and the media to go all in against Trump is actually concerning to people who might have been on the fence. Like, who would want to side with ultra-rich Hollywood elites and media figures?