• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Social Parler Becomes #1 App Download on the iOS & Android App Stores

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Ahead of Facebook, TikTok, Youtube. Mass exodus from Twitter? Seems to be a push from notable conservatives, such as Newt Gingrich.

Social media platform Parler jumped to the top downloaded app this weekend, as conservatives rally support to leave Facebook and Twitter over censorship.

“The media and the anti-Trump lunatics have awakened a sleeping giant. We gave a collective middle finger to the tech tyrants as Parler remains the NUMBER ONE most downloaded app in the world. Thank you!” conservative commentator Dan Bongino said Sunday morning.

Parler is in the top spot for most popular free apps on Apple as of Sunday morning, beating out TikTok and YouTube.

Parler was founded in 2018 and has been lauded as a platform that protects free speech.

“Parler is an unbiased social media focused on real user experiences and engagement. Our content is moderated based off the FCC and the Supreme Court of the United States which enables free expression without violence and a lack of censorship. Parler never shares your personal data,” the platform’s description reads.

Bongino announced a partnership with Parler in June, taking an ownership stake in the company.

“I’ve decided it’s time to fight back against the Tech Tyrants. I’m beyond fed up with the censorship and bias of Twitter and Facebook, and I’m not going to stand back and watch as they target us. As a result, I’ve taken an ownership stake in Parler, the hottest social media alternative in the market right now,” Bongino said at the time.

Fellow conservatives, such as Mark Levin and Newt Gingrich, have called on others to give up Facebook and Twitter and move to the platform.

Hurry and follow me at Parler. I’m trying to encourage as many of you as possible to immediately join me there as I may not stay at Facebook or Twitter if they continue censoring me. And one day, I’ll have left their platforms. Parler is a wonderful alternative and is growing, and we need you there ASAP. It believes in truly open speech. Thank you!” Levin said Sunday morning.

“As Twitter attempts to silence my views and opinions, I invite you to follow me on Parler,” Gingrich said on Thursday.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Actual Nazi or Tumblr/Era's definition of a nazi?

The latter would be the framing. Inevitably there will be many of the former, but overall it's a fully free speech Twitter with very few restrictions. That's how they're marketing themselves I believe. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, and that means even words one doesn't like are said.

and 3 others

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Pump those brakes comrades. I'll quote myself.

Parler's indemnity clause.

Have fun with this gem
"Parler will have the right to conduct its own defense, at your expense, in any action or proceeding covered by this indemnity." From their ToS.
Someone doesn't like what you say, they sue Parler, Parler picks it's own legal defense, slaps you with the bill.

Last edited:

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011
The latter would be the framing. Inevitably there will be many of the former, but overall it's a fully free speech Twitter with very few restrictions. That's how they're marketing themselves I believe. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, and that means even words one doesn't like are said.
I mean, they say the same of us. When conversations aren't homogenized, it's nazi speak. While unfortunately, that does attract the worst kind, vigilant mods can easily curve that, GAF is proof of that

oagboghi2

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2018
That's a lot of words just to say "no, there are no Nazi's on it."

Hulk_Smash

Jan 8, 2014
I made an account there but i don’t know why. Maybe to use it as a news aggregator. I can’t stand twitter as a “service”. I doubt I’ll like Parler.

I’m more interested in MeWe but try getting anyone anyone I know to leave Facebook to join a different social media app....

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract

and 3 others

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
All social media companies have this in their TOS. Reddit has a rule where you have to pay their attorney legal fees
I thought it was supposed to be a bastion of free speech and personal responsibility. Maybe I read too much into that, or someone wanted to frame it as such.

• Thoughtful

oagboghi2

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2018
I thought it was supposed to be a bastion of free speech and personal responsibility. Maybe I read too much into that, or someone wanted to frame it as such.
This logic doesn't follow. So Parler has to pay for your fuckups? How is that free speech?

• Thoughtful
Jan 17, 2014
Pump those brakes comrades. I'll quote myself.

Parler's indemnity clause.

Someone doesn't like what you say, they sue Parler, Parler picks it's own legal defense, slaps you with the bill.
Lol that would be crazy if they removed section 230 protection. You post something about a company, the company goes after Parler because of the post, Parler makes you may pay for litigation.

Last edited:
  • Fire

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Inevitable result of deplatforming and gaming of social media.

It's a bad thing, echo chambers can get batshit real quick, but I'm not sure what else you expect to happen.

Horns

I drop hot takes hoping you'll argue with me. Just ignore me.
Jun 23, 2010
I think those who need these warped interactions should find another social media platform that fits them. If you feel there is a need to be lied to and are okay with tricking people who might fall for these claims then there needs to be a place for these people. Let it be Parole then.

YCoCg

Apr 25, 2020
Parler already had its boost in the UK earlier this year when Katie Hopkins wan banned on Twitter and most of the flag nonces followed her to there, crying that they'll never come back to Twitter, ...and they all came back to Twitter in the end to constantly shout about how they hate Twitter.

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
Inevitable result of deplatforming and gaming of social media.

It's a bad thing, echo chambers can get batshit real quick, but I'm not sure what else you expect to happen.
Twitter is an echo chamber with a few fighters that want to stand up to the echoes.

Parler already had its boost in the UK earlier this year when Katie Hopkins wan banned on Twitter and most of the flag nonces followed her to there, crying that they'll never come back to Twitter, ...and they all came back to Twitter in the end to constantly shout about how they hate Twitter.

no contradiction, Parler for free discourse, Twitter for reaching out to others.

If he did, boom baby. Instant hit

Wait till it has better international exposure. and improve the UX and engagement.

Pretty rad. I wonder what happened to Gab and why it has fallen out of the radar as Parler has seemingly taken over as the Twitter alternative.

GAB has actual Nazi. At least that is the reputation it developed. Parler dose have conduct rules but doesn't take political sides. it more like Twitter before the censoring.

• Fire

oagboghi2

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2018
It'd be nice if they stopped saying "I'M NEVER COMING BACK TO TWITTER EVER AGAIN" though if they're going to keep coming back trying to convert people.
Trying to kick people off more platforms? Tsk tsk

Why do you care?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful