• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Social Parler Becomes #1 App Download on the iOS & Android App Stores

YCoCg

Apr 25, 2020
Is this more of your "being nice"đŸ¤£
Nah, you've shown me it's a lost cause since you're a perpetual dick.

Worry about yourself. If you don't like my posts, please put me on ignore.
But how will I be able to see you make a constant fool of yourself? After all you dedicated the next four years to being angry and shouting at people on Twitter, we wouldn't want to miss that.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
I have mixed feelings about this, and I’m not sure where I stand. I think social media has helped share information with the world in a way that was never possible before. That is great! However, the format has also fueled hyper partisanship, the massive spread of disinformation, and has reduced genuine discourse.

How do we help the masses become more educated and grounded in respecting each other, eliminating disinformation through consistent refutation rather than suppression, and the encourage dialogue rather than bursts of anger and inflammatory language? I struggle to see how social media can accomplish this.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Nah, you've shown me it's a lost cause since you're a perpetual dick.
Ahh you are still playing this fantasy that you have ever been nice to me and we have ever been friends. đŸ¤£

But how will I be able to see you make a constant fool of yourself? After all you dedicated the next four years to being angry and shouting at people on Twitter, we wouldn't want to miss that.
You won't ignore me, but you will constantly complain about me being mean to you whenever I point out the stupidity of your posts.

Oh well, I tried.

And now you are putting words in my mouth. Bitter and a liar? Sad, just sad

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Maiden Voyage

Goldâ„¢ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

• LOL
Reactions: Tesseract and YCoCg

Rktk

Jun 7, 2009
The BBC gets hate from the left and the right. As a news organisation though, their impartiality policy (while no one, or no article, is ever truly neutral) means they remain one of the more respected around the world.

More respected than a YouTube grifter or website with no journalistic integrity whatsoever.

• LOL
Reactions: Sign

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
The BBC gets hate from the left and the right. As a news organisation though, their impartiality policy (while no one, or no article, is ever truly neutral) means they remain one of the more respected around the world.

More respected than a YouTube grifter or website with no journalistic integrity whatsoever.

I don't pay youtubers, grift or not, any money at all. The BBC gets your tax money, and let's be clear, they are biased as hell.

They could do a good job, they could do a poor job. Either way, you are paying for the illusion that the BBC is magically better than everyone else.

Last edited:

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Good. But it is well past time to rebrand those currently considered "conservative". Parler is for the pro-freedom crowd and should market itself that way. The Republican party needs to do the same.

Aug 24, 2016
This doesn't tell me anything, what are the actual numbers? Even infowars gave numbers before their app was banned.

decisions

Jun 16, 2015
I'm not sure if Parler will be the app to do it, but to be honest the tech market has some very good free aspects to it right now, and the tech "wars" are not over - the current winners just want you to think that it is.

Of course it is in Twitter's best interest to act like Twitter is guaranteed to be a main communication standard for eternity. However, a company just needs to rise up and outperform Twitter in both app functionality and neutrality, and it can become the more prominent platform. The same goes for all the big tech apps right now. The market being fixed with a few giant companies is an illusion constructed by those companies to make opposition seem futile.

Reactions: Durask

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com
I'm not sure if Parler will be the app to do it, but to be honest the tech market has some very good free aspects to it right now, and the tech "wars" are not over - the current winners just want you to think that it is.

Of course it is in Twitter's best interest to act like Twitter is guaranteed to be a main communication standard for eternity. However, a company just needs to rise up and outperform Twitter in both app functionality and neutrality, and it can become the more prominent platform. The same goes for all the big tech apps right now. The market being fixed with a few giant companies is an illusion constructed by those companies to make opposition seem futile.

Excellent post. I'm going to share it to my MySpace page.

Reactions: Durask
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
However, a company just needs to rise up and outperform Twitter in both app functionality and neutrality, and it can become the more prominent platform.

I'd argue that Twitter and Facebook both have apps that suck in the functionality department. Both seemed to have solved the problem by restricting their APIs, ensuring that 3rd party apps died.

There's also a third factor that is more important than both functionality and neutrality, because it drives both: monetization.

While I'm sure employee liberal-bias drives a lot of the current censorship that we're seeing, so does monetization and the need to sell advertising. Any competition to Twitter and Facebook is going to need to solve that issue.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
I don't see it ever really becoming a thing unless more than just angry Trump supporters start joining, but the app itself really isn't very good, so the only reason you would leave Twitter for it right now is if you are an angry Trump supporter.

decisions

Jun 16, 2015
I don't see it ever really becoming a thing unless more than just angry Trump supporters start joining, but the app itself really isn't very good, so the only reason you would leave Twitter for it right now is if you are an angry Trump supporter.

I tried making an account and it just totally broke. The confirmation code didn’t work, but when I try and create an account it says my e-mail/phone are already registered. Guess I won’t be trying this out.