• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Parler CEO says social media app may not return

balls of snow

Oct 13, 2020

Pirate Bay Founder Thinks Parler’s Inability to Stay Online Is ‘Embarrassing’​

Peter Sunde Kolmisoppi calls Parler’s face plant in the wake of its deplatforming 'embarrassing,' driven by 'egotism.'

The legend himself commented. Piratebay got fucked to hell and back and nuked from orbit a few years ago. It was biblical. After all that, it is STILL alive in the covid era.

Aug 28, 2019
I love the "they're not a court" line. It's just a derivative of "it's the court of public opinion". I guess they go on their feelings then? I'm not really sure how hunches and hearsay and what he "should" have done is enough for anybody to do anything. It could have been 1/2% no violence and that should be enough. He doesn't even have to condemn the violence in my opinion. Staying silent is an option and it is not violent at all. This idea that "words lead to violence" is bullshit unless it is harmful enough to actually carry weight in a criminal case in a court of law.

Yes that means it's based on their opinions and whims. Because Twitter has no real contractual obligation to anyone on their platform. They have a TOS that basically says, as you put it "they can do whatever they want for whatever reason the want."

I see you understand that, I was just responding to the use of "definitive proof" because it's just not the standard followed by businesses.

I'm not sure why Jacko wants to be the moral arbiter of his twitter users. All it does is end up being hypocritical, inflammatory, and will ultimately lose him money/users.

I dunno; maybe Jack thinks he's being moral/ethical... or maybe he thinks the decision protected them from complaints from those who actually give Twitter money (Advertisers.)

Coups aren't good for the economy lol

Last edited:

Slings and Arrows

and Ceramide R
Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
Don't fall for it.

We've seen this same tactic used for black face and for riots (to name but two examples), now they're going to use it for censorship.

The play goes like this:

Event happens that pisses side A off, they call for it to not happen again. Side B cheers and say it should continue to happen.
Event happens that pisses Side B off, they call for it to not happen again. Side A cheers and say it should continue to happen.

Both sides of the event now agree that it should never happen again. Now you have the majority of two sides of the extreme, who now make the majority.

Now run the play through your mind using both the black face incident (zwiet pete vs Trudeau) or the riots (summer 2020 vs capitol).

Now run the censorship event through (Alt-right conspiracy vs Twitter allowing hang pence). The extremes on both sides of the aisle will agree to make censorship the norm.

You're being played.

Last edited:

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Yes that means it's based on their opinions and whims. Because Twitter has no real contractual obligation to anyone on their platform. They have a TOS that basically says, as you put it "they can do whatever they want for whatever reason the want."
The United States has a very long history of over-riding terms of service when an entity or industry becomes so powerful that they can wield their power like a monarch. We are currently at a crossroads where a small segment of this industry is wielding their power on the modern public square to a degree that even European heads of state are uncomfortable with, and which a massive segment of the US population is not comfortable with. People feel their rights under the constitution are being threatened, and even Twitter came out yesterday to recognize the dangers of the path they started down. It is your absolute right to advocate that they should keep this power and we should ignore the dangerous precedent being set that even Twitter acknowledges, at least as long as you remain in the Kings' good graces.

manfestival

Nov 12, 2009

Pirate Bay Founder Thinks Parler’s Inability to Stay Online Is ‘Embarrassing’​

Peter Sunde Kolmisoppi calls Parler’s face plant in the wake of its deplatforming 'embarrassing,' driven by 'egotism.'

I had this conversation a couple days ago with a friend of mine. I thought it was funny how there are all of these long standing illegal sites that remain to this day yet Parler is probably trying to go about it the right way but meeting dead ends.

Aug 28, 2019
The United States has a very long history of over-riding terms of service when an entity or industry becomes so powerful that they can wield their power like a monarch. We are currently at a crossroads where a small segment of this industry is wielding their power on the modern public square to a degree that even European heads of state are uncomfortable with, and which a massive segment of the US population is not comfortable with. People feel their rights under the constitution are being threatened, and even Twitter came out yesterday to recognize the dangers of the path they started down. It is your absolute right to advocate that they should keep this power and we should ignore the dangerous precedent being set that even Twitter acknowledges, at least as long as you remain in the Kings' good graces.
I'm not really advocating they keep this power.

In fact I've tried to create a debate here on what would actually need to change, legally, and what the effect on freedoms that would have for businesses. Nobody really wants to actually explain how we'd legally stop Twitter or Amazon from banning people based on bias.

Merkel is an embarrassing hypocrite BTW if that's who you are referring to lol, I do agree it is concerning.. or should at least be analyzed thoughtfully.. but LOL @ Germany talking to anyone about freedom of speech.

Last edited: