• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part 2 Did What The Last of Us Couldn't (Video)

GymWolf

IA during combat is still far better than stealth, in both games.

You can exploit the fuck out of tlou2 ia during stealth, they are still not reactive\self caring enough even on max difficulty, stealth is easy mode in these games.

Animations and gore\care for details really do the heavy lifting during combat in tlou brand, tlou2 added enemies that trick the players into thinking that they are smart or alive with some one liners with some names and some whistles, but the core ia is still FAR from perfection and not really on par with the reveal trailer, exactly like the first one.

And tlou2 is currently my goty, inb4 people calling me hater.

P.s. i don't know if they added an even more harder mode since launch, i just played the hardesr difficulty that was available at launch.

But i like videos about ia in videogames so you get a like dude.

Last edited:
The combat is superb in Part II. I really need to get my shit together and finish the game.
The narrative is hardcore challenging.
Lol, no. It doesn’t take a genius to understand the narrative. I really wonder if the pretentious gamers that believe this hoopla bother to experience storytelling outside of video games.

Hugare

A positive thread about TLOU Part II on GAF?

Had to check the website for a sec

Yeah, even if you have didnt enjoy the story (its debatable, after all), it should be hard to criticize the combat/AI

It's damn good. At 60 fps on the PS5 (hopefully), the game will sing.

Woggleman

The final section in Santa Barbara makes me hope the next game is set in a warmer climate. It would be fun to have a game like this set in Vegas with the desert vibe.

GymWolf

Great video dude, do you have any other video where you analize ia\gore\animations in realistic games?!

Whitecrow

Banned
Why'd they have to make Abby look like a dude though ? I dont get it.
Ms Sarkeesian, that thing that heavily pois... influenced Druckmann thinking, complained recently about Mandalorian females wearing chest armour with space for the tits.

This alone can explain a lot of things in TLOU2.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I really hope one day Druckmann will come and post on here and explain the indepth reasoning for the story for better or worse from the fans/haters.

Sony gave ND the free pass and said "GO" he could do what he wanted and made it as non conformist as possible. It's something I can only applaud to this day and I'm looking forward to my second playthrough in due time.

A.Romero

I hope the world can heal after TLOU2 soon.

Great game from my perspective. Worst part was the pacing. Cutting off at the climax and going back was the worst decision in the game. Other than that, it's great.

MiguelItUp

I had my issues with the game. I loved the first game, and had hoped that everything was improved here, and it some ways it was. Some, it wasn't. I still prefer the first over the sequel.

The story really didn't do much for me, along with the new characters. People hate her, but of the new characters, Abby was the only one that had some kind of significance or decent weight IMO.

The combat felt a bit better, and I loved the grittier aspect to everything. The graphics and gore were insanely good. Honestly, my favorite things about the game hands down.

Still had issues with the AI though, things that I experienced, or saw other influencer/streamers go through that were pretty oof. Nothing game breaking, but definitely things that could harm the immersion.

Lastly I just felt like the overall flow wasn't as strong as the previous game, it was kind of a little all over the place IMO. Felt it drag a lot more than I was expecting.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. It's really cool people enjoyed it as much as they did. I wish I could've enjoyed it more than the previous game so I could've seen it as a better sequel through and through. I thought it was fine.

IA during combat is still far better than stealth, in both games.

You can exploit the fuck out of tlou2 ia during stealth, they are still not reactive\self caring enough even on max difficulty, stealth is easy mode in these games.

Animations and gore\care for details really do the heavy lifting during combat in tlou brand, tlou2 added enemies that trick the players into thinking that they are smart or alive with some one liners with some names and some whistles, but the core ia is still FAR from perfection and not really on par with the reveal trailer, exactly like the first one.

And tlou2 is currently my goty, inb4 people calling me hater.

P.s. i don't know if they added an even more harder mode since launch, i just played the hardesr difficulty that was available at launch.

But i like videos about ia in videogames so you get a like dude.
Yes, I believe they patched in Grounded mode after launch. That’s way cooler than charging for it like in the original. I’ll need to do a play through on that difficulty when I play it again through BC on PS5... if I can even find one being sold...

Great video dude, do you have any other video where you analize ia\gore\animations in realistic games?!
Aside from my original TLOU1 AI video, I don’t think so. I have a few idea for videos that would touch on the topic of AI, but I’ll need to see if I want to proceed with those.

Can't say the same for mission designs though. The last level design was outstanding. I just wish the game had that kind of level design to give the players freedom to play around the level from much earlier in the game.
I had that feeling throughout, maybe you did not explore your possibilities enough? most encounters are pretty open ended (you kill or you get killed).

Keihart

I've also questioned this decision, especially seeing as that open city area only had infected encounters from what I remember. The other big one is not long after. It's less open but actually has humans and infected together. The one with the library and gas station. I'm going to assume they tested things and found that this was the best way to go for a series of human encounters all existing in the same environment. This way you wouldn't easily trigger several encounters at once, though I was still able to achieve this there. Some of the best ideas for combat encounters are in Abby's side of the story, but by that point, I was more burned out by having to go back in time and play through all the days again just to see the climax to a scene I was watching, so I was just trying to power through things.
There is somewhere an interview with Druckman and the co writer, where they talk about how the original plan was to make the theater a hub but during production it proved to be too much and they scaled back on it. That's why the story works they way it does during Ellie's section.

zkorejo

I had that feeling throughout, maybe you did not explore your possibilities enough? most encounters are pretty open ended (you kill or you get killed).
I meant more like mixing up the infected with the enemy players and make the fight amongst themselves. Ever since Left behind, I just assumed it would be heavily featured in the part 2 but only got it in the last part of the game.

The entire level of the entire mansion was just brilliant. Every other level with human enemies was average and forgettable.

There is somewhere an interview with Druckman and the co writer, where they talk about how the original plan was to make the theater a hub but during production it proved to be too much and they scaled back on it. That's why the story works they way it does during Ellie's section.
Yeah I definitely felt like there was a missed opportunity to let you explore in different directions if you were gonna keep returning to the same location. Not sure how that was going to feel when you got to the second half of the game and it got more linear though.

Keihart

Yeah I definitely felt like there was a missed opportunity to let you explore in different directions if you were gonna keep returning to the same location. Not sure how that was going to feel when you got to the second half of the game and it got more linear though.
I feel like there was some left over on the story beats to do the same on the second half too, probably with the aquarium and how it becomes the center of the events in the end.

Last edited:
I feel like there was some left over on the story beats to do the same on the second half too, probably with the aquarium and how it becomes the center of the events in the end.
Hmm, maybe I could see that. I feel like most visits there were in flashbacks, though.

Top Bottom