Participating in Midterms?

Of course, it’s election season in good old ‘mericuh. Which means you literally can’t do anything without being harassed to vote. Random phone calls all day, signs everywhere, people yelling on the street, people yelling on Twitter, people yelling on TV, VOTE VOTE VOTE

But as someone like me who’s been voting for a decade, and seen little difference, it’s kinda weird this time around. Usually each side is talking about actual issues, but this year the republicans main talking point seems to be “our guys totally aren’t rapists” and the democrats can only say “those guys are bad because they are siding with trump, they’re probably rapists”

So until I see actual issues brought up instead of this constant wack a mole game, I don’t think I’m going to participate. I could care less about this Faux-Apprentice reality TV shit going on, my faith in democracy was basically shot in 2016.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
My thoughts are that democracy died in this country the day we started using electronic voting machines.

Vote, don't vote. I can't be certain it even matters anymore. Go with your conscience, I guess.

I've never been one of those people who just vote for one specific party, but the current day democrats sure are making that look appealing. It's just starting to look like the party of lunatics, and I know that isn't the reality, but it's a hard thing to shake off.

I don’t vote.

My state Delaware hasn’t voted Republican since 1988. And in New Castle County, it is blue as hell. Not an issue for me since I am on the Democrats side on most issues. Just means for me that the County and State politics are already set before votes are counted.

I normally don't vote becuase I live in California, but this year it looks like we might actually have a real race for governor, so I will vote this time.

If you live in California remember to vote Yes on 6 to repeal the gas tax and no on 8. Prop 8 passing could literally kill people here

I'm certainly voting in these midterms. I will be voting straight ticket Dem for the first time ever, and I'm uncomfortable with it. I believe in a balanced system. I don't believe our polarization is helpful, and I understand that a straight ticket vote pushes polarization. I hope I don't have to do that again. We lack presidential leadership currently; he demeans everyone who doesn't agree with him, and we need people able to stand up to his verbal assault on people in the country.

My thoughts are that democracy died in this country the day we started using electronic voting machines.

Vote, don't vote. I can't be certain it even matters anymore. Go with your conscience, I guess.
I have similar opinions on voting beyond electronic issues. However I've voted in every election I'm able to since I turned 18 (23 years now). You can look at it this way, your vote May not matter due to gerrymandering, vote tampering, suppression, or whatever other problems there are with the system. But you can be guaranteed your vote won't matter if you never cast it. Things closer to home are also on the ballots all the time, so at very least try make a difference in your community and it's a small amount of time every once in a while.

I have similar opinions on voting beyond electronic issues. However I've voted in every election I'm able to since I turned 18 (23 years now). You can look at it this way, your vote May not matter due to gerrymandering, vote tampering, suppression, or whatever other problems there are with the system. But you can be guaranteed your vote won't matter if you never cast it. Things closer to home are also on the ballots all the time, so at very least try make a difference in your community and it's a small amount of time every once in a while.
You make a good point.

I live in Texas. I’m a moderate, dead center person who believes in cooperation and compromise. I hate the current political theater on both sides. I despise trump for making a mockery of everything, I despise the democrats for being backboneless little weasel hypocrites.

I’m also sick of how the left is turning this country into a baby state where every single disagreement is turned into a racial or sexist hot topic item.

It’s a very difficult time to want to support anyone.

How is the Beto support going in Texas? Think he honestly stands a chance?
It looks like Cruz is starting to pull ahead. The last couple of polls show Cruz up by 5% and 6%. The shadiness surrounding the Kavanaugh accusations, the hacking scandal and the crazed protesters (some of them directly attacking Cruz) are starting to effect poll numbers. Cruz also looked and acted level headed during the confirmation hearings.

I also think voters are starting to see through all the media BS and looking at the big picture with the economy and the world and realizing that things are actually going fairly well.

Last edited:
I normally don't vote becuase I live in California, but this year it looks like we might actually have a real race for governor, so I will vote this time.

If you live in California remember to vote Yes on 6 to repeal the gas tax and no on 8. Prop 8 passing could literally kill people here
I got out in time.
So folks in California think there are too many dialysis clinics and too many medical professionals in this field so they want prop 8 to create a shortage of
dialysis care?

Jeez. They never learn.

Really interesting reading the various views on how people approach the midterm (whether voting or not, who they're voting for, etc.). Had I been from the US I'd likely have voted Democrat, at least until the Kavanaugh deal (straw that broke the camel's back), which I imagine might've given me a sour enough taste in my mouth to possibly vote Republican on that alone, at least when it comes to the Senate race.

Depends on if I have a busy day at work. In the USA we have national days off for commerce related holidays but Election Day is in the middle of the week and you still have to work 9-5 then get out of work and stand in line w a bunch of other people tired from work as well. They don’t want working people to vote so they made it hard to do so. Not going out of my way for it

Last edited:
I'm mostly going because for the gubernatorial election and the ballot questions. I'm hardly in a battleground, but my family is of the "If you don't vote, you have no place to complain about the outcome if you don't like it" persuasion.

it would be so nice that if you didn't vote, people that did vote couldn't complain to you.

sadly it only goes one way IRL.

Last edited:
Depends on if I have a busy day at work. In the USA we have national days off for commerce related holidays but Election Day is in the middle of the week and you still have to work 9-5 then get out of work and stand in line w a bunch of other people tired from work as well. They don’t want working people to vote so they made it hard to do so. Not going out of my way for it
What state do you live in? All but 13 states either offer a way to vote early or do not require an excuse to vote via absentee ballot. If you're not in one of those 13, I wouldn't really buy that you couldn't find some time to vote due to work.

Voting straight-ticket GOP.

Still feels like I'm living in bizarro-land saying that, but the Dems have completely jumped the shark in the past few years. It's like that Monty Python skit where you had the election of the Sensible Party and the Silly Party.
This is exactly where I am. Echoing yours, and others sentiments in this thread.

I have always straight denounced people who voted straight party lines, as I pride myself on knowing where every candidate stands in both local, and national politics. This time, even knowing some Republicans viewpoints dont come into line with my own, I almost feel it's my civic duty to let the Democratic party know that they have abandoned a major portion of their constituents, in favor of tiny, tiny percentages of the population at large.

I am(still some time to go so I may pick and choose as I always do but the Democrats current rhetoric on impeachment of a supreme court justice is galvanizing me even more)considering voting straight Republican to state clearly and emphatically;

You have lost your way, you stand for nothing but seething hatred of fellow Americans, and I will not stand for it.

I voted for Obama...Twice. Honestly if I had it to do over again I probably still would over Romney & McCain, but I wasn't happy with Obama at all. He was the best speaker i've ever heard but that's about the only positive thing I can say. And his actions weren't always lined up with what he spoke so eloquently about.
I used to call myself a liberal & still hold on to many socially liberal views, but I have been absolutely disgusted by the democrats of late. I was not a fan of Hillary at all so I did vote Trump, but I also didn't consider Trump a real Republican.
I despise identity politics and how the left when losing then campaigns on trying to undo the previous results. I also am disgusted beyond belief on how they tried to throw out the presumption of innocence & cheer & urge the censoring of opposing voices.
I rarely vote in non Presidential races but i'm gonna vote this year and putting a check next to everything with a R.

I voted for Obama...Twice. Honestly if I had it to do over again I probably still would over Romney & McCain, but I wasn't happy with Obama at all. He was the best speaker i've ever heard but that's about the only positive thing I can say. And his actions weren't always lined up with what he spoke so eloquently about.
I used to call myself a liberal & still hold on to many socially liberal views, but I have been absolutely disgusted by the democrats of late. I was not a fan of Hillary at all so I did vote Trump, but I also didn't consider Trump a real Republican.
I despise identity politics and how the left when losing then campaigns on trying to undo the previous results. I also am disgusted beyond belief on how they tried to throw out the presumption of innocence & cheer & urge the censoring of opposing voices.
I rarely vote in non Presidential races but i'm gonna vote this year and putting a check next to everything with a R.
Identity politics was a key part of Trumps campaign. And Trump tries to censor opposing voices as well. Are you more mad at the people, rather than any given president?

Last edited:
This thread is high comedy and pure horror at the same time. Two sides who are both dead certain the other side is unhinged. Makes me sick.

The current administration and the party enabling them is turning our country into a laughingstock such that I have never seen in my lifetime, and if you don't realize that, you better open your eyes. We're being managed by Michael Scott at this point - folks who don't understand or respect the law or the morals and ethics that stood behind its enaction.

Ronald Reagan is doing backflips in his grave over the direction of this country in 2018. I'm sorry for you if you don't recognize that.

This thread is high comedy and pure horror at the same time. Two sides who are both dead certain the other side is unhinged. Makes me sick.

The current administration and the party enabling them is turning our country into a laughingstock such that I have never seen in my lifetime, and if you don't realize that, you better open your eyes. We're being managed by Michael Scott at this point - folks who don't understand or respect the law or the morals and ethics that stood behind its enaction.

Ronald Reagan is doing backflips in his grave over the direction of this country in 2018. I'm sorry for you if you don't recognize that.
So let's just ignore that I think you're completely wrong. I want to ask you a serious question. Would you rather be in a situation where, internationally, your president is spoken well of and highly regarded, but domestically the country suffers through their policies, or the opposite where your president is poorly regarded and only begrudgingly interacted with due to the clout the country wields, but domestically the country is doing well across all strata of society?

You understand exactly what I'm implying by the question, but don't respond by attacking a strawman. Just give me a straight answer to that question, and then you can debate which of our last two presidents represents which situation.

I'm in rural Kentucky, pretty much deep red district. That reflects me pretty well, although before Trumpism I often abandoned the GOP and voted third party. I would never vote for an internationalist or war-monger for a national office.

The only difference I really make is in local races for sheriff, etc. Because of my career I am directly affected and I know a lot of the personalities involved. We are the smallest county in Kentucky and local elections decided by one or two votes are fairly common.

I am pretty much all Republican, but would like to replace Trump. Most of what the Dems push, I either disagree with or I don't think is the governments job to even be involved with. The whole Kavanagh thing, weaponizing social media, and ratings based news outlets are just too much of a turn-off to me.

If you think Ronald Reagan would support a Donald Trump white house you know absolutely nothing about what he stood for.

And *I* don't even like Ronald Reagan.
What has Trump done that Reagan would be against?
-The tax cuts and tax reform?
-Negotiating peace from a position of strength?
-Increased border security and interior immigration enforcement, while also offering amnesty?
-Appointing conservative judges to the Supreme Court?
-A renewed sense of patriotism in America? (Obviously this is subjective, especially with some in America being hyper partisan)

Trump has literally taken the Reagen conservative playbook and ran with it.

What has Trump done that Reagan would be against?
-The tax cuts and tax reform?
-Negotiating peace from a position of strength?
-Increased border security and interior immigration enforcement, while also offering amnesty?
-Appointing conservative judges to the Supreme Court?
-A renewed sense of patriotism in America? (Obviously this is subjective, especially with some in America being hyper partisan)

Trump has literally taken the Reagen conservative playbook and ran with it.
Trump made the NPCs cry.

That said, there is a lot of bat shit crazy going around. Mid terms will be interesting.
If the blue-wave falters and the republicans hold on to their majority, expect the left to do even more violent protests and riots.

Last edited:
Trump made the NPCs cry.

That said, there is a lot of bat shit crazy going around. Mid terms will be interesting.
If the blue-wave falters and the republicans hold on to their majority, expect the left to do even more violent protests and riots.
The main issue is that it is perfectly normal, in a historical context, for a party that controls all 3 branches of government after a presidential election to lose a branch during midterms. It's not necessarily a statement that America hates Trump, but really just what happens as these situations arise historically when one party's voters feel disenfranchised and the other's are complacent. I think the House is pretty much going to flip, just like it did right after Obama's first 2 years. This won't mean Trump is doomed, just like Obama wasn't, though. If the D's take the Senate and the House, or the R's hold both Senate and the House, then I do think there's a statement being made one way or the other. But again, most likely outcome is that just the House flips and we'll still be left wondering how the public at large really feels about what's been going on.

I still consider myself somewhat liberal and I do support many liberal causes, but I am not a fan of how the democratic party has been representing themselves either. Granted, Trump represents everything I don't like about the Republican party, so that's a major issue for me as well. I did just change my party affiliation from Democrat to Independent, and I still don't know how I'll be voting come midterms.

Either way, I live in Kansas, so this state is going red regardless of how I vote, but I'm still trying to decide for me.

Last edited:
I still consider myself somewhat liberal and I do support many liberal causes, but I am not a fan of how the democratic party has been representing themselves either. Granted, Trump represents everything I don't like about the Republican party, so that's a major issue for me as well. I did just change my party affiliation from Democrat to Independent, and I still don't know how I'll be voting come midterms.

Either way, I live in Kansas, so this state is going red regardless of how I vote, but I'm still trying to decide for me.
I would say you should register for whichever party whose primaries you care to influence. There's no value in being an actual independent unless it's just idealogically important to you. I'm a registered republican that votes for more non-republicans than vice versa.

I would say you should register for whichever party whose primaries you care to influence. There's no value in being an actual independent unless it's just idealogically important to you. I'm a registered republican that votes for more non-republicans than vice versa.
From the looks of the local laws, I can remain independent until I go to vote, then I'm required to choose one or the other.

Voted for Walker back before the recall and usually split the ticket based on local issues. Was planning on going for Evers this time based on how terrible Walker has been for WI and split down the ticket, but they way the GOP is and their full adoption of Trumpism, I’m voting straight dem for the first time in my life. There needs to be balance to keep Trumps incompetence in check at the congressional level.

I'll be voting in the mid-terms. I live in California and I'm a registered Republican. Cox has no chance, but I'll vote for him. For Senate, I'll write-in a Republican or maybe Mickey Mouse. I'll vote for Duncan Hunter for Congress, even though he f#$!Ed up big time. Hunter usually wins by double digits, but will probably win in the single digit range this go around.