• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patent: PlayStation Move for NGP/PSP

onQ123

iswzy.jpg

icCP3G.jpg

icCYam.jpg

Mobile gaming platforms are designed for playing games without the need to be attached to a display or a power source. Examples mobile gaming platforms include Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) and PSP Go. Additionally, other devices whose main function is other than playing games can also provide mobile gaming functionality, such as cell phones, Personal Digital Assistants (PDA), MP3 players, etc. Online gaming is also possible, wherein a user can interactively play against or with other users over the Internet.

As game complexity continues to intrigue players, gaming software and hardware manufacturers have continued to innovate to enable additional interactivity. In reality, however, the way in which users interact with a game has not changed dramatically over the years. Commonly, users still play computer games using hand held controllers or interact with programs using mouse pointing devices. Portable gaming devices that have gyro and position sensing capabilities are often twisted and turned during game play to accommodate a user interface for the game. However, it is uncomfortable for the user to visually track the screen unless the user moves his head in the same direction as the twisting and turning of the gaming device. This is not often possible, resulting in poor gaming experiences.

As game complexity continues to intrigue players, game and hardware manufacturers have continued to innovate to enable additional interactivity and computer programs. A growing trend in the computer gaming industry is to develop games that increase the interaction between user and the gaming system. One way of accomplishing a richer interactive experience is to use wireless game controllers whose movement is tracked by the gaming system in order to track the player’s movements and use these movements as inputs for the game. Generally speaking, gesture input refers to having an electronic device such as a computing system, video game console, smart appliance, etc., react to some gesture captured by a video camera that tracks an object.

Embodiments of the present invention provide methods, systems, and computer programs for methods, systems, and programs for wireless interaction with a portable device. In one embodiment, a method operation establishes a communications link between the portable device and the stand. The stand tracks the motion of an input device within an interactivity zone. In another method operation, the portable device interfaces with the input device to generate actions associated with game objects in the portable device, where the interface takes place when the input device is in or near the interactivity zone. Additionally, the stand moves when the tracking detects that the input device is outside predefined boundaries near an edge of the interactivity zone. The stand movement information is transferred via the communications link to update the location of the interactivity zone.

I'm looking for another source

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
nice link, let me guess, playyyystation lifestyle?

Okay, I read the text and I'm still trying to understand how playing Move with PSP could possibly work. They're talking about using the PSP's screen, right? I don't understand .

V_Ben

Banned
(looks at pictures)

...why? why would you do that? Unless you want to make something COMPLETELY CRAZY.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, that is a terrible idea hahaha.

So it's like playing Move on PS3 on your TV but instead of a TV it's your tiny PSP screen.

Even the guy in the concept art looks miserable, "why am I doing this".

Snipes424

V_Ben said:
(looks at pictures)

...why? why would you do that? Unless you want to make something COMPLETELY CRAZY.

I agree

1st, I don't want to stand 3-6 feet away from a 5 inch screen

2nd, there's too many devices involved (especially adding 3D). The one thing I like about kinect is it's one device. While I think move is a better technology for gaming, it is pretty complicated to know what game requires what controller or what combination of controllers.

Reallink

What the flying fuck? Put a video out on the fucking thing, bluetooth move sync-ability, and let the NGP act as the PSeye. Who in their right mind going to play a 5" screen from 6' back like these diagrams depict, it's physically impossible.

Mrbob

Technosteve said:
i cant stop laughing

Neither can I. That image is so awesome.

At least we might have a confirmation here the NGP can do 3D. With those dirty glasses though!

KAL2006

Banned
At least this confirms NGP can do 3D, I hope Sony support 3D on NGP even if it does need glasses, at least you don't have to buy a new TV, also for people who already own Sony 3DTVs, then the same Glasses should work. Obviously 3DS no glasses solution is better, but this is better than nothing, the advantage of having glasses over no glasses is that you don't have to be in sweet spot, so I can play in 3D while I am in bed (where it would be figgity with the NGP moving around a bit from my viewing angle)

Kuran

Banned
Well most likely you will be able to hook up any Dual Shock controller, so why not also support Move? I think it is a pretty awesome solution for those people who play exclusively on portable devices.

The NGP fills in that gap perfectly. And I mean the gap between a PSP/3DS and a high-end laptop with Steam installed.

Rich!

KAL2006 said:
the advantage of having glasses over no glasses is that you don't have to be in sweet spot, so I can play in 3D while I am in bed (where it would be figgity with the 3DS moving around a bit from my viewing angle)

I play my 3DS in bed almost every night on full 3D and I have no issues whatsoever with the 'sweet spot'.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
KAL2006 said:
At least this confirms NGP can do 3D, I hope Sony support 3D on NGP even if it does need glasses, at least you don't have to buy a new TV, also for people who already own Sony 3DTVs, then the same Glasses should work. Obviously 3DS no glasses solution is better, but this is better than nothing, the advantage of having glasses over no glasses is that you don't have to be in sweet spot, so I can play in 3D while I am in bed (where it would be figgity with the NGP moving around a bit from my viewing angle)

It can't do 3D without sync'ing the glasses, which will be what the stand is doing in the pictures.

KAL2006

Banned
richisawesome said:
I play my 3DS in bed almost every night on full 3D and I have no issues whatsoever with the 'sweet spot'.

Cool, then I guess I shouldn't have this problem either

DECK'ARD said:
It can't do 3D without sync'ing the glasses, which will be that the stand is doing in the pictures.

Really, then that is lame, NGP couldve easily done 3D as the OLED screen is more than 120Hz refresh rate, Sony should have let the NGP system do the syncing on it's own

faridmon

very silly indeed. Why would a portable handheld system need a device like this which will defeat the purpose of it? Sony back to its former self confirmed?

onQ123

if the NGP has a better camera than the PS-Eye & the base that it's sitting hooks to your TV this could be a wii killer if the wii wasn't already dying

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
KAL2006 said:
Really, then that is lame, NGP couldve easily done 3D as the OLED screen is more than 120Hz refresh rate, Sony should have let the NGP system do the syncing on it's own

Yeah, looks like the stand is adding bigger speakers and/or IR to sync the glasses.

Wow, isn't that screen going to be difficult to see from that distance?

Reminds me of those awesome patents for Move controllers on your feet as you bicycle kick in a soccer game or that laugh detection shit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
onQ123 said:
if the NGP has a better camera than the PS-Eye & the base that it's sitting hooks to your TV this could be a wii killer if the wii wasn't already dying

A PSP and Move combo... yeah sounds like a real wii killer, guy.

Somnid

KAL2006 said:

I don't think this has even been close to confirmed.

Remember all those other ridiculous PSMove patents that Sony made that have never been used? Yeah. Seems like people take patents too seriously here.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SuperSonic1305 said:
Remember all those other ridiculous PSMove patents that Sony made that have never been used? Yeah. Seems like people take patents too seriously here.

Ssssssh.

This would be a legendary demonstration at E3, and as such we must will it to happen.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Bwahahahhahaha!

I really want Sony to try and sell this.

Mojojo said:
OoooK. The 602 number is supposed to mark what ? Neural implant device? Bad hairdo?
A person dumb enough to buy this.

Top Bottom