• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

xclaw

They're taking it seriously. Last night on his stream, he was trying to figure out his team and one guy said he has school for 4 hours but he will play the rest of the time... He got put in the casual category.

Are they doing some sort of make it to endgame the quickest or something? I'm looking forward to soaking in everything especially Act3.

syko de4d

Only question I have really is this, are there hosted games ala diablo 2 or is it an mmo like thing with a ton of people in the same area?

Key Points of Online Gaming in PoE:

-You create your own instance
-In this instance you can play alone or with up to 5 other people that are in your party
-Only in Town you will see other players that are not in your group
-There is a system to make your group Public and name it like you named games in Diablo2
-You can play with everyone on the world, from EU to US or Asia.
-If a EU guy Plays with a US guy, the guy who creates the instance will have a good ping the other will have a worse ping. So e.g. US player joins a new instance first the game will be hosted on US server for that moment.
-You can Chat with random people from everywhere

It´s like Diablo2 but cooler, with real global play and a Town Hub instead of a Chat Hub.

KKRT00

Oddly enough this is the one genre I like to go in blind with, so I haven't followed it at all, didn't read OP etc....

Only question I have really is this, are there hosted games ala diablo 2 or is it an mmo like thing with a ton of people in the same area?

Think more like Guild Wars 1, shared towns up to 32 players and world instances that only You have access or Your party.

Jackl

They're taking it seriously. Last night on his stream, he was trying to figure out his team and one guy said he has school for 4 hours but he will play the rest of the time... He got put in the casual category.

*Know That feels*

*Works 8 Hours and Classes for 3 on weekdays*

No-life gaming suffered immensely. : (

Incredibly excited for this. Ploughed through D3 in a few weeks giving it over 150hours. I hope this can capture me in the same way, and I'd love to give the devs some money for some goodies if it does!

So why were people looking for keys last night if the open beta starts today? And what time does it start, exactly?

Technically the closed beta servers are still running so you can play till the character wipe at 4. I'm assuming they'll need to roll out a patch and stuff - so launch should be at around 5ish (in 4 hours).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Incredibly excited for this. Ploughed through D3 in a few weeks giving it over 150hours. I hope this can capture me in the same way, and I'd love to give the devs some money for some goodies if it does!
150 hours in PoE is a joke :p You have my guarantee that you'll play it more than that.

Is there a way to auto patch the game? I'm off to bed, beta starts at 5am here. I want it to auto download the patch so I can take the game to work.

Sweet guys that sounds amazing!

Open towns sounds really cool can't wait, getting an UO/GW's vibe from the way that sounds.

Also LOD chat lobby vibe.

Perkel

Banned
Aaaaaaand done. Named my 6 characters. Each of them have different meaning connected to their class ethos or character. Care to guess ?

ibuNkAlUsvg7UW.png

Sucks, most of my go to names were already taken by time I got on the CB.

I have a horrible imagination when it comes to names in games. I just always go with the same 5-6 names. Only 3 were available.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Level cap is 99.

I love the passive tree in PoE and while I wouldn't mind being able to re-spec at will, I like how it instead is built into the item/barter economy. Right now I have about 4 Orbs of Regret, or whatever they're called, that you use to unlearn skills; a bit of haggling in trade chat can get you more in no time. That's cool, imo

IMO one of the best ways to judge controls is during hectic combat gameplay, regardless of the game's genre. Back in August I found myself fumbling around, barely able to survive fights due to weird bugs or fucked up hit detection. Last night I almost felt like I was playing a slower version of my D3 Barb. As my attack speed gets higher the combat will feel even better, although I do hope hit detection and animations continue to be improved. Hell just watching streams of high level players shows how smooth shit is later. That's a questionable game design decision - it seems like it makes more sense to hook people early with fast, tight gameplay - but since I plan on long term investment in the game it's not a big concern to me.

Yoshichan

PD, you still have that avatar?! That must've been one helluva bet...

neoism

I love the passive tree in PoE and while I wouldn't mind being able to re-spec at will, I like how it instead is built into the item/barter economy. Right now I have about 4 Orbs of Regret, or whatever they're called, that you use to unlearn skills; a bit of haggling in trade chat can get you more in no time. That's cool, imo

IMO one of the best ways to judge controls is during hectic combat gameplay, regardless of the game's genre. Back in August I found myself fumbling around, barely able to survive fights due to weird bugs or fucked up hit detection. Last night I almost felt like I was playing a slower version of my D3 Barb. As my attack speed gets higher the combat will feel even better, although I do hope hit detection and animations continue to be improved. Hell just watching streams of high level players shows how smooth shit is later. That's a questionable game design decision - it seems like it makes more sense to hook people early with fast, tight gameplay - but since I plan on long term investment in the game it's not a big concern to me.
so guys I can only change my middle click but does the next patch let you use mouse wheel up and down for anything you want... or is it staying on zoom in..

Yoshichan

Do I have to download a new client or is my current beta client compatible?
No need to download a new client. It'll update your current one.

garath

The barter system is a little tough to get into, but I'm sure it will really start to click once I get a higher level and the userbase is a little more mature.

I was having troubles determining value for anything I was trying to buy or sell and the acronyms for the different orbs were like a different language. There are SO many different types of orbs. I have no idea of the rarity of the orbs or how useful they are as a consumable compared to the others. Little tough to get started with it.

Yoshichan

Yeah... I once traded a Divine for five Chromatics... I told him I was new to the game and he told me that it was a great deal for both of us...

:(

Wallach

The barter system is a little tough to get into, but I'm sure it will really start to click once I get a higher level and the userbase is a little more mature.

I was having troubles determining value for anything I was trying to buy or sell and the acronyms for the different orbs were like a different language. There are SO many different types of orbs. I have no idea of the rarity of the orbs or how useful they are as a consumable compared to the others. Little tough to get started with it.

Keep this on hand: http://www.poeex.info/

It isn't going to be terribly accurate at the very start of OB with so many new players, but this gives you a rough idea of the item rarity itself which means things are going to settle into numbers like this again.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anybody else going Hardcore right away?

I don't see the point in playing Softcore since a dead Hardcore character automatically gets transferred to Softcore.

But which league does a dead Hardcore character get transferred to? Default or Legacy?

Wallach

When does the beta start?

Just over two hours from now.

Anybody else going Hardcore right away?

I don't see the point in playing Softcore since a dead Hardcore character automatically gets transferred to Softcore.

But which league does a dead Hardcore character get transferred to? Default or Legacy?

I'm not going to dabble in Hardcore League until desync issues are better settled. You will get moved to Default League upon dying in Hardcore League.

syko de4d

it was the same in Diablo2 with all the runes. I think this is alot more fun than Gold :)

Actuallyi try to create some chars with names i want, really hard to find enough that are not already taken :D

Yoshichan

I know this is a totally subjective question, but what class do you guys find to be the most fun/dynamic?
A post I made a couple of pages ago:

1. Templar because they're solid as hell, I've experimented the shit out of everything with this class.
2. Marauder has always been very straight forward for me, but I've had the best success-ratio with them.
3. Ranger, I've made some of the worst characters ever with rangers, but I've made some amazing melee rangers. It feels great.
4. Shadow, I only made one and went a crazy CI-based build and enjoyed the shit out of it.
5. Duelist/Witch, lol.
When does the beta start?
2 hours and 10 minutes from now.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
A little concerned at their F2P model, seems like they're giving people too much and I can't see myself spending any money on the game.

Top Bottom