• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Twinduct

Hmm tempted to start again, but I was waiting for the open beta to start. Can't handle another wipe :<

Want to see the new AI though.

V_Arnold

Well, perfect timing by GGG, I will create a shadow for the weekend. I will be a shadow of myself after monday, however :D

syko de4d

An example of using traps and mines in 0.9.9!
AxG9z.jpg

Raxum

That changelog looks awesome, can't wait to get into this patch when I get home from work tonight. From what I read in there we all have to start new characters in default league with this patch right? All of our current characters will get moved to legacy?

Not annoyed about that, just clarifying, I was planning to start another new character anyway.

Riggs

Banned
That changelog looks awesome, can't wait to get into this patch when I get home from work tonight. From what I read in there we all have to start new characters in default league with this patch right? All of our current characters will get moved to legacy?

Not annoyed about that, just clarifying, I was planning to start another new character anyway.
Ya man pretty sure it was a wipe. So excited to play !

oneils

Well, most people I know can't even say a single word while they are playing a videogame.

Yeah, he was giving his commentary in real time. Many casters do the commentary to pre-made footage. People who stream over twitch.tv don't tend to be very chatty, either. It must be tough to focus on the game with the amount of info he doles out.

haha, I went to reboot my pc last night to get a fresh windows restart going to play the game.

My computer died, power supply died. The tears and rage.

syko de4d

wow normal is now 10 times harder then the last difficult before the patch.

I had just a epic fight with Merveil, 5-8 Minutes long. I did not die but the most time i ran around a stone wand xD

So many new bosses in this game, really really hard ones ^^

KKRT00

Well, most people I know can't even say a single word while they are playing a videogame.

Thats strange, because i dont know anyone who couldnt.

And its not even about dodging or engaging enemies, decision and knowledge of the game. He hasnt even used his melee skills in second part.

Raxum

wow normal is now 10 times harder then the last difficult before the patch.

I had just a epic fight with Merveil, 5-8 Minutes long. I did not die but the most time i ran around a stone wand xD

So many new bosses in this game, really really hard ones ^^

Have to admit I'm really enjoying the new difficulty spike, makes you think about how you play.

I can honestly say the necromancers have given me the hardest time so far, I've run into a few rare necros and each time I've had to try to carefully plan my engagement using a decoy totem (as a marauder) to make sure the amount of undead they were raising didn't block me in.

syko de4d

Have to admit I'm really enjoying the new difficulty spike, makes you think about how you play.

I can honestly say the necromancers have given me the hardest time so far, I've run into a few rare necros and each time I've had to try to carefully plan my engagement using a decoy totem (as a marauder) to make sure the amount of undead they were raising didn't block me in.

yeahe is nice, but what i hate is the not avoidable damage like Flicker Strike and Cold Snap, there are really stupid. Cold Snap from 2 screen away....

And Yes Decoy Totem is the BEST

Raxum

yeahe is nice, but what i hate is the not avoidable damage like Flicker Strike and Cold Snap, there are really stupid. Cold Snap from 2 screen away....

Agreed on both points, but I haven't been noticing the unavoidable damage anyway as a marauder, I'm building tank and strong elemental resistances at the moment, it is taking me a bit longer to kill things but I'm surviving a fair bit easier than when I went full on damage Marauder.

Missing 2 out of 3 attacks is annoying as hell at the moment though, really need that Resolute Technique passive already. (I'm only like level 12 so far)

eek5

The flicker strike is worse than cold snap because entire groups of the shadow guys can flicker and damage you and essentially box you in. There is nothing you can do about it.

I'm not a fan of the necromancer as it is right now. The idea is sound but the implementation is poor. The necromancer revives enemies way too fast and has an unlimited cap of how many "minions" he can summon. It really goes against the idea of adding more elements to make battles more complex when the strategy against them is basically either ignore everything else and just target them down or be forced to use a skill like detonate dead, summon zombie/spectre. It's just not diverse enough of a mechanic as it is and feels silly to run past like 15 enemies and snipe out a necromancer as everything is pounding on you.

I'm not a huge fan of a game mechanic that essentially forces you into using certain skills either. Not everyone should be required to use detonate dead or summon skills.

Raxum

The flicker strike is worse than cold snap because entire groups of the shadow guys can flicker and damage you and essentially box you in. There is nothing you can do about it.

I'm not a fan of the necromancer as it is right now. The idea is sound but the implementation is poor. The necromancer revives enemies way too fast and has an unlimited cap of how many "minions" he can summon. It really goes against the idea of adding more elements to make battles more complex when the strategy against them is basically either ignore everything else and just target them down or be forced to use a skill like detonate dead, summon zombie/spectre. It's just not diverse enough of a mechanic as it is and feels silly to run past like 15 enemies and snipe out a necromancer as everything is pounding on you.

I'm not a huge fan of a game mechanic that essentially forces you into using certain skills either. Not everyone should be required to use detonate dead or summon skills.

I agree, but there are other ways past it, like for a strength character, decoy totem works wonders for getting you up close to the necro. Unfortunately the decoy totems die rather fast. Generally I'll decoy totem, then leap slam past everything to the necro and heavy strike it death with occasional drops of decoy totem to stop everything pounding on me.

With a summon character like a witch it's not too bad, because you get the summon instead of him, AoE elemental witches shouldn't have too much trouble with necros, flicker strike dex builds, etc. To me it just seems like strategising and prior planning, and I don't see it forcing me down a particular route.

I just got into the beta and I'm in love with this game. Just feels like pretty much all the design choices are for the better compared to Diablo 2. I've had some issues with the netcode almost getting me killed on my Hardcore character, which is kind of daunting.

eek5

I agree, but there are other ways past it, like for a strength character, decoy totem works wonders for getting you up close to the necro. Unfortunately the decoy totems die rather fast. Generally I'll decoy totem, then leap slam past everything to the necro and heavy strike it death with occasional drops of decoy totem to stop everything pounding on me.

With a summon character like a witch it's not too bad, because you get the summon instead of him, AoE elemental witches shouldn't have too much trouble with necros, flicker strike dex builds, etc. To me it just seems like strategising and prior planning, and I don't see it forcing me down a particular route.

It just seems so one dimensional to me. The revive rate is too fast so the only two things you can do is either consume all the corpses or just ignore the large group of enemies and target down the necromancer. The fast revive rate pretty much FORCES you to do the latter if you can't consume corpses. If they slowed the revive rate down and capped it, you could at least fight your way through. It'll become a much bigger problem later down the line when they fix the enemy spawning and you start coming up against rare necromancers.

Raxum

It just seems so one dimensional to me. The revive rate is too fast so the only two things you can do is either consume all the corpses or just ignore the large group of enemies and target down the necromancer. The fast revive rate pretty much FORCES you to do the latter if you can't consume corpses. If they slowed the revive rate down and capped it, you could at least fight your way through. It'll become a much bigger problem later down the line when they fix the enemy spawning and you start coming up against rare necromancers.

Fair enough, each to their own I guess. I agree that the summon rate they have is too high, but it makes it somewhat interesting when you meet a rare one, not looking forward to an "Allies Cannot Die" Necro though.

On a very slightly related note, does anyone else here read global chat? I have to say I'm getting a bit annoyed at the people who bag out PoE in there in favour of Diablo 3. Makes me wonder why they are actually playing the game.

eek5

Fair enough, each to their own I guess. I agree that the summon rate they have is too high, but it makes it somewhat interesting when you meet a rare one, not looking forward to an "Allies Cannot Die" Necro though.

On a very slightly related note, does anyone else here read global chat? I have to say I'm getting a bit annoyed at the people who bag out PoE in there in favour of Diablo 3. Makes me wonder why they are actually playing the game.

Global chat is fucking awful on both sides. I don't know how it is in HC but in default people are so hateful. This is seriously the worst gaming community I've ever seen. If the playerbase doesn't drastically change, those players are basically going to sink this game. I was on last night and someone was asking pretty basic questions in normal and almost everyone told him to fuck off, called him racial slurs, to play a more "casual" game etc. It's pretty disgusting.

eek5

Died to those red squids that explode. A group of like 8 came charging at me and I didn't run. I'm a man. A dead man.

Those need to be tweaked. They're actually way easier than they seem at first. You need to just step into a doorway then run away and they'll all explode while chasing you. EZPZ

Raxum

Global chat is fucking awful on both sides. I don't know how it is in HC but in default people are so hateful. This is seriously the worst gaming community I've ever seen. If the playerbase doesn't drastically change, those players are basically going to sink this game. I was on last night and someone was asking pretty basic questions in normal and almost everyone told him to fuck off, called him racial slurs, to play a more "casual" game etc. It's pretty disgusting.

Agreed, I've seen some pretty horrible stuff with regards to that, though I've been trying to help out people when they ask questions I know the answer to when I can. Unfortunately that won't change the rest of the community. I only hope it gets better when the open beta rolls around.

Huh, while I've been seeing plenty of D3 talk in the global chat, I've yet to come across any mean-spirited talk on the HC server. I asked about a couple of things at several occasions and got quick and friendly replies. Maybe I just got lucky? Guess I'm staying away from the default server o_O

Twinduct

I'll be honest. I closed global chat within the first 10 mins. Mostly because it was taking up UI space for me. So not sure on the content.

Card Boy

Banned
That was like the only complaint I had with graphics of the game. Is this in a new patch, or have I just not read the 0.9.9 patch notes carefully enough?

They released a 0.9.9b and 0.9.9c since you read those patch notes. The zoom feature was in 0.9.9c. Also 0.9.9d just went up in the last 30 minutes.

Version 0.9.9d
Revamped the user interface for levelling gems up. Now, when they're close to the end of a level, they will appear on the right side of the play area, indicating their progress. Once they can be levelled up to the next level, a button will appear. If you want to leave the gem at its current level, you can dismiss this permanently by right clicking on the button. Equipped gems can still be levelled up from the inventory screen.
The page up/down keys now control the zoom level as well. These can be rebound. You can now disable mousewheel zoom in the UI options.
Double Strike has been rebalanced so that the starting level is now level 1 and it is available as the Shadow's initial gem received in the Twilight Strand. It is now pure dexterity.
Increased the monster density in the Twilight Strand.
Rejuvenation totems now do not affect themselves.
Exploding Spawn can now no longer be magic/rare.
Fixed some problems with the chat box. It now replaces the channel symbol if you start to type a /command.
Fixed a bug where monsters using Flicker Strike would cause the camera to act wrong if zoomed in.
Fixed a bug where Righteous Fire's spell damage increase didn't work.
Fixed a recently introduced bug where you'd get the waypoint for an area by merely entering it.
Fixed a bug where Oozeback Bloom would crash the instance when he dies.
Neutered an experimental skill gem that accidentally made its way into 0.9.9. Oops.

Version 0.9.9c
Features:
The first zombie on the Twilight Strand now drops a skill gem appropriate for your class.
The chat window now defaults to the last type of chat used in this session. This does not include whispers. Global chat is now the default chat when you join game.
Added the ability to zoom the view in using the mouse wheel. Sometimes the camera will go through a wall when zoomed in quite far. We don't need bug reports of this, thanks.
The passive skill screen now always shows how many respec points you have, so that new players understand that they exist.
Improved the environment of the Fellshrine Ruins.

Balance:
Changed early quest rewards so that there are more options for some classes.
Increased the rarity of drops from magic, rare, unique and act boss monsters.
Reduced the chill duration of Merveil's Ice Spear.
Reduced the damage of Ice Nova for Merveil and Water Elementals.
Reduced chill and freeze duration of Cold Snap for Merveil and Water Elementals.
Reduced the distance that Merveil and Water Elementals can Cold Snap you from.
Reduced the distance that Snakes can spit at you from.
Slightly reduced the distance that Skeletal Archers can attack you from.
Swapped Mental Acuity and Spell Power on the passive tree.

Bug Fixes:
Fixed a bug where Merveil would not drop her act boss item rewards properly.
Fixed clicking on minions so that the clicks will go through them. This means that you're able to target monsters near minions more easily.
Blood Magic now no longer prevents traps from working.
Fixed a bug where Totems would not attack monsters outside of your range with some skills.
Fixed a server crash that would occur if you left an area while something was caught in your Bear Trap.
Undead revived by a necromancer can now grant flask charges.
Fixed the starting weapons so that they can't spawn in the water.
Fixed the information on the website about 0.9.9 Gloves and Shields.
Double Strike is now counted as a Melee gem for the purpose of the mods that increase the levels of certain types of gems.
Fixed some overlapping passive skills in the tree.
Fixed a duplicate quest reward in Merciless difficulty.
Fixed up quests around Brutus so that it's clear what to do after finding him in the Prison.

Version 0.9.9b
Fixed a server crash that would occur when killing Shield Crabs in the Maelstrom of Chaos.
Fixed a bug where the Totem support gem had Strength/Dexterity requirements instead of Strength/Intelligence requirements.
Fixed a problem with the World Map screen displayed the Maelstrom of Chaos as Act Three.
Fixed a problem with Ethereal Knives where the character would not run into range of an enemy before using the skill.
Restored the "Ignore" user interface button when right clicking on text in chat.
Fixed a problem where some abyss spiders would not ambush you.

Nymerio

The first zombie on the Twilight Strand now drops a skill gem appropriate for your class.

That's neat.

Edit: Never had a problem with global chat. People always seemed friendly and most of the time the D3 bashing was very toned down. Everyone was always pretty reasonable. I did turn off global chat though, as it takes up way to much space. With the map overlay, global chat and items around it was kinda ridiculous. Corner map fixed that though.

kyubajin

Anyone making a 2H Marauder? Any passives you would recommend? Will I survive on the next dif if I don't switch to sword and board? Maces for Ground Stomp or Axes/Swords for Cleave?

Stitch

Gold Member
Hell yeah, finally a zoom feature :D

That's neat.

Edit: Never had a problem with global chat. People always seemed friendly and most of the time the D3 bashing was very toned down. Everyone was always pretty reasonable.

Yesterday someone was spamming "WHALE PENIS" for an hour.

Nymerio

I didn't play a lot since the last open beta, maybe the new influx of players brought in a lot of idiots. Guess I'll keep the global chat turned off.

Raxum

Anyone making a 2H Marauder? Any passives you would recommend? Will I survive on the next dif if I don't switch to sword and board? Maces for Ground Stomp or Axes/Swords for Cleave?

I have a 2H marauder, best to rush for resolute technique (can't crit but don't miss) it's the best thing for a pure strength build, as you get no dex, thus no accuracy rating. Honestly I found a 2H mace works pretty well for the marauder, but if you want a bit of extra damage from the 2H axe, you'll need some amounts of dex at later levels.

You'll survive fine in later difficulties provided you build tanky enough, just make sure you get enough resistances and armour, along with the health, otherwise the health means next to nothing.

I just saw a stream of this game and it looks gorgeous, in my opinion.

It seems very different than Diablo 3 which I'm very happy about because I get to enjoy two different games.

I really hope the F2P model sustains itself with just cosmetic items.

Card Boy

Banned

The developers have gone on record many times to say it will never be pay2win. It even says so on their website. Don't worry son :)

The stuff for sale will be extra storage slots, character slots, minipets (purely cosmetic and dont do anything) and cosmetic stuff like male and female options for each of the characters.

kyubajin

I have a 2H marauder, best to rush for resolute technique (can't crit but don't miss) it's the best thing for a pure strength build, as you get no dex, thus no accuracy rating. Honestly I found a 2H mace works pretty well for the marauder, but if you want a bit of extra damage from the 2H axe, you'll need some amounts of dex at later levels.

You'll survive fine in later difficulties provided you build tanky enough, just make sure you get enough resistances and armour, along with the health, otherwise the health means next to nothing.
Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure about Resolute as I love to crit but if you say it's for the best, I'll take it :) Although I already took the +30 Agi passive... might as well refund it after I get resolute then.

I just saw a stream of this game and it looks gorgeous, in my opinion.

It seems very different than Diablo 3 which I'm very happy about because I get to enjoy two different games.

Welcome to the club! I just felt in love with this game immediately. Also, if the pre-order thingy they set up is any indication (US$ 200k + in less than a week) the game will have a thriving and healthy future down the road.

Top Bottom