• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile: Harvest - expansion adds city building to the ARPG

On Tuesday, Grinding Gear Games revealed Path of Exile’s summer expansion: Harvest. Harvest offers players a chance to create their own gardens, and build a complex network of irrigation machines inside the Sacred Grove. But being an action RPG, the plant seeds come alive when players go to harvest.

Path of Exile: Harvest will launch on PC June 19, and the week of June 22 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Harvest_PoE.png

Once Harvest begins, players will randomly encounter Seed Caches in the world — magical roots will lead the way, with a Seed Cache hidden in each area. When players interact with the Seed Cache, it will drop a bounty of different seeds. Oshabi, a new NPC, then offers players travel to the Sacred Grove.

Each seed has a monster associated with it — there are wolf seeds, ape seeds, scorpion seeds, and more — and players can plant them in the Sacred Grove. Some simple seeds only take time to grow but more advanced seeds require complex resources produced by growing simpler seeds. Opening a Seed Cache somewhere in the world advances time in your garden by one unit. This is where Path of Exile transforms from action RPG to miniature city builder.

In the middle of every pack of seeds, players should build a Collector. When players go to harvest their plants and fight monsters within them, the Collector will harness the seed’s Lifeforce. Players can use Lifeforce in a few ways, mostly to craft powerful new effects on their gear.

But Lifeforce can only go so far when crafting, and players will almost always have some left over. This is where the system gets complex. Some seeds require Lifeforce from lower-level seeds to grow. Harvest offers Wild, Primal, and Vivid seed types, and each creates its own Lifeforce. To grow stronger seeds, players need to connect irrigation lines from their collectors to other seed patches.

There is more in the article, Tiers of seeds and whatnot. Sounds like a micro-management dream for those that are into it.

Shacknews has more as well

tier2seeds.jpg

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Going to have to watch some YouTube vids. My elderly PC can't keep up with the particle effects any more and I've had to stop playing.
Might even build a cheap gaming PC just to get back on it...

Good Lord. Don't InExile know that they shouldn't be announcing new exciting things to help brighten up peoples lives and keep peoples minds off of the crazy things happening in these sensitive times?

On Topic though. Wow, wasn't expecting that. I think I'll jump back in and see what this is all about when it launches.

Tomeru

Isnt this just another "grow a monster to fight" mechanic? I'm thinking I'll have to wait till PoE2 because these last few expensions were kinda stale (imo).

Rikkori

Not really feeling the aesthetic tbh, but I'll do the usual level to 85 then bail as I do every league anyway. I mostly use it as an aid to listen to podcasts in the first place.

JSoup

Banned
I have been wanting to dig into this game for years, but every time I go to do it I first balk at the install size and then just never do anything. I think I'm in the second area or something.

I have been wanting to dig into this game for years, but every time I go to do it I first balk at the install size and then just never do anything. I think I'm in the second area or something.

Every time I try to get into it, I end up hitting a wall where I just lose track of what I am going for

Top Bottom