• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek: Sony possibly looking at increasing Neo specs due to Scorpio

Why not wait until 2018 and call it PS5 powerfull than Scorpio

Imo, they wanted the neo out for a higher fidelity vr as there's no other good reason to release an upgrade this early given their sales weren't declining. Though if they release another one a year after scorpio, ms will follow up with another a year later. Pretty much a spec war. Plenty of people look to the most powerful console just for bragging rights alone.

AmuroChan

I hope they don't try to match Scorpio's specs and release this thing at $600. There's no need for Sony to worry about Scorpio when it's still a year away.

Toparaman

Banned
Please god so i can keep using the awesome Dualshock 4 controller, and so I can carry over my Witcher 3 save data. Please god.

Griss

We have no idea if MS is going to provide those specs or at what price.

Lolll this a fucking joke right?

Did I say something controversial?

The entire idea of Scorpio is 4k gaming. That is the sum total of the entire pitch. They consulted with devs to find out what specs they need to make that happen. Whatever the specs required are, that's what they'll be. They can't go back on this.

My understanding is that the Neo, with it's same old CPU and 4.2TF GPU, will not have that same capability. Am I uninformed here?

Proper 4k indie gaming.

Yes, perhaps some PS+ indiexcrement will run at 4k but that's hardly what the mass market is buying new powerful games consoles for.

Even at 6TF, neither system can do 4K effectively with current visuals. The gap is also only as wide as it was between X1 and PS4 only neither system will have huge bottlenecks this time. Or at least shouldn't.

Seeing as 4k gaming is the Scorpio's reason to exist and selling point I imagine MS will make the specs whatever is required. That's my assumption.

AfroDust

I'm now imagining a scenario where neither of these consoles actually come out, because both companies are continually delaying their product to avoid releasing a weaker machine ever again.

A console cold war.

😂😂😂😂😂

Theonik

Main reason is likely cooling, but they may have found a way to up the clocks while keeping it cool without much of a price increase
Cooling and yields actually. Under-clocking parts allow you to use a wider spectrum of your binned parts. Same reason why console chips often disable a core off the design.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Good lord i hope so between a 4k TV, Xbox One S and soon PSVR and at least 8 $60 games between now and November my wallet needs a good break.
This. They'd maybe get in the 5-5.5TF range if they push it to Q1/Q2 2017.
And it wouldn't crowd out the PSVR, too.

We don't know how aggressive their cooling solution is, or what options they really have for ram upgrades, whether they can squeeze more in or go with a newer type, so maybe it is possible to get a decent bump.

I'm not convinced they need to have a 5 teraflop Neo, they can likely spin what they already have and be completely fine for the remainder of the generation regardless of what Scorpio is packing.

Kyrios

Oh boy, incoming 100 pages xD

Honestly that's the first thing I thought of when I read the topic lol

I don't mind the extra juice, but I think the right release window is a lot more important for Neo's success, but that's just my take on it.

Cooling and yields actually. Under-clocking parts allow you to use a wider spectrum of your binned parts. Same reason why console chips often disable a core off the design.

Yep no doubt. They may have been able to overcome those problems though. I won't be surprised if we see some clock improvements. Its not unheard of, the Xbone's CPU for example got an upclock

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Imo, they wanted the neo out for a higher fidelity vr as there's no other good reason to release an upgrade this early given their sales weren't declining. Though if they release another one a year after scorpio, ms will follow up with another a year later. Pretty much a spec war. Plenty of people look to the most powerful console just for bragging rights alone.
VR isn't even referenced in the leaked documentation for Neo. It'll provide benefits to it of course but it's not the driving factor.

Kazooie

Banned
This can't be right.

I've read in various threads that Sony don't have to worry about what Microsoft is doing as Sony are the market leader. Also that the public won't care about the power difference.

Huh.

Skilletor

This can't be right.

I've read in various threads that Sony don't have to worry about what Microsoft is doing as Sony are the market leader. Also that the public won't care about the power difference.

Huh.

Just like we've been reading from journalists and MS fanboys that power doesn't matter at all (even though it was a pretty big deal last generation between ports).

Fanboys gonna fanboy.

Gattsu25

Banned
They really should if they want to keep their current spec advantage.

Hopefully MS increase the Scorpio stats in response, etc. Actual competition is better for the consumers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Honestly if the final specs are better than the leak I don't know why anyone would care if it was Scorpio that pushed them into in or not. We'll get a better machine either way.

Agreed.

Oh boy, incoming 100 pages xD

Of course, frame the same thing we knew before the Scorpio, with it mentioned as a "worry", and BAM, more bickering over the same thing we already went through.

Hopefully more info will come out, rather than that one sentence.

Hwoar

If they wanted they could just wait until the end of 2017 and release similar specs to Scorpio.

Guess they have a different strategy.

farisr

Wow, kind of late in the game for that unless they push launch back.
There's been talk about them exploring a higher spec option since the first leak, before there were any rumbling about Scorpio. Whatever sources they heard from seem to have put their own spin on it. Regardless, due to the September 7th event being pretty much confirmed at this point, it's gonna be the 4.2TF spec, people expecting the upgraded 5.5TF spec are going to be disappointed.

Guymelef

This can't be right.

Huh.

Yeah, Sony was worried about Scorpio on March.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

Eolz

If it's still coming out this fall, there'll be nearly no changes if at all.
It might be delayed to Q1 2017, but I don't even see the point at this time. They'll just make the PS5 come sooner if Scorpio sells really well.

JordanKZ

They fucked up by keeping the Fisher Price CPU.

What's the alternative, exactly? Intel? Not a chance. Sony's only choice, like Microsoft's is to use a AMD APU as Puma still isn't ready to go in this configuration and Zen is months out. This leaves Jaguar as the only possibility.

Theonik

Yep no doubt. They may have been able to overcome those problems though. I won't be surprised if we see some clock improvements. Its not unheard of, the Xbone's CPU for example got an upclock
Don't forget though, the X1 did sell for $100 more at launch and they had significant trouble meeting even the modest demand it had at launch. (X1 also had much worse problems than just clocks limiting its yields though)

X1 was also using quite a beefy cooling solution that makes a clock bump more practical since that also allows you to use lesser chips at the expense of power consumption.

e: Controller is an interesting question. I can see Sony making a more premium controller and bundling it with Neo since it will be a premium SKU.

JackDT

Best they could do in a pinch is overclock by 10 - 15 percent. They can't change the chips, but they can be more selective with yields, and they can add a little more expensive cooling.

I agree the CPU is going to be the big problem in the future. It's already a huge bottleneck and not upgrading the architecture is going to hurt long term.

If Sony ups the specs, Wouldn't MS just up their specs as well? I mean the Scorpio is over a year away anyway.

Like they did for the One? How much time did they have to up the specs on that?

I believe that the only thing that matters is the selling price.

Karak

This isn't saying much that isn't normal in a tech company. Somebody announces, others look at what they have and investigate power delta's in their offerings.
What they say in that podcast is quite literally status quo and it would be shitty if they didn't do those things.

taoofjord

I'm not too worried about it being comparatively under-powered. As long as the PS5 comes out in 3-4 years then it's not a big deal. I'm hoping these faster paced revisions are the new trend.

Not even on page 4 and this is already exactly like the dozen other Neo/Scorpio threads we have. Always the same conversations going in circles.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Given the fact that Microsoft has almost a full year to make their own changes, how exactly would this work in Sony's favour?
It wouldn't, and Sony knows this, which is why this "worry" isn't true.
Game theory. Anticipate competitor's moves.

Proelite

They can bump up the clocks and the GDDR5 bandwidth by 5-10%. The problem is that Polaris is a pretty big flop perf/watt wise, so they'll be getting into diminishing returns territory really soon. I am expecting something like 4.8 to 5.0 teraflops total SOC power in the end so they can claim nearly 5 teraflops, which doesn't sound so bad as 4 v 6.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not gonna happen, and i doubt the rumors are even true at this point with an announce next month.

If they were looking at stronger HW, it was a long time ago, surely before E3

Top Bottom