• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek: Sony possibly looking at increasing Neo specs due to Scorpio

Ok so Patrick and Austin were doing a Periscope discussing some Neo info and talking about the September 7th reveal. They both say they have heard internal conversation that Sony is looking at increasing the power in Neo.

LET IT BE CLEAR they are not outright saying this is happening but that it is being looked at. It is not confirmation Neo will be over 4.2 TF

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1MYxNzPpYWoxw

Conversation is around the 6:50 mark. Here is some of what they say

- Sony has looked at upping the power compared to original spec
- There was an internal worry that the Neo may look outdated compared to Scorpio next year
- How much they can adjust Neo before launch, is unknown
- Final dev kits will release around the September 7th reveal

Again this is just a conversation between two reliable guys in the industry, they aren't outright reporting that Neo will indeed see a power increase.

Edit - On a personal level, with no info on this my bet would be if they do go this route it may be a slight overclock and maybe some more RAM. This would give a modest increase in spec without having to drastically alter the design

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't expect we'll see massive changes but I could see some mild upclocks happening as well as an increase in RAM bandwidth.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Like I said in the other thread... the two spec variants were rumored long before Scorpio was known as a thing.

but I was told Sony wasn't at all concerned about Microsoft

I mean, since they support your frame of mind, it must be true, eh? What is that phrase again? Confirmation bias? ;P

Kathian

Banned
Well no doubt they've asked the questions but whether they do it is another matter. Scorpio will do well for MS but it won't shift the whole market. PS4 users are likely to follow their upgrade path.

-Horizon-

giphy.gif

JP

This has been talked about since it was first rumoured, there's very little they can do now though.

Like I said in the other thread... the two spec variants were rumored long before Scorpio was known as a thing.

I'm sure they've been looking for a while. I only mention Scorpio because Patrick outright says "There was an internal worry that what they were going to unveil may look outdated in comparison to Scorpio next year."

I just think they may have had more than 1 idea on the specs and Scorpio is going to possibly push them to going slightly stronger

GeeTeeCee

I'm now imagining a scenario where neither of these consoles actually come out, because both companies are continually delaying their product to avoid releasing a weaker machine ever again.

A console cold war.

sam777

Whether it sees a bump or not Scorpio is over a year away and I am sure MS could do the same if they want to.

hesido

I don't think they'll be able increase specs significantly enough to steal Scorpio's thunder. But I don't think it matters as much. Just make a fucking good PS5.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm sure they've been looking for a while. I only mention Scorpio because Patrick outright says "There was an internal worry that what they were going to unveil may look outdated in comparison to Scorpio next year."

I just think they may have had more than 1 idea on the specs and Scorpio is going to possibly push them to going slightly stronger

I just do not get why they, a market leader, is 'worried' about a spec a year off, that clearly would have more.

Maybe a discussion, you always discuss competition, but 'worry', hmmm.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
PS5 will probably be announced a few months after Scorpio releases...

Plus the domination of the PS4 allows Sony to try things like the Neo.

Yeah right, announcing a new console just after a year. That would upset so many people.

I just do not get why they, a market leader, is 'worried' about a spec a year off, that clearly would have more.

Maybe a discussion, you always discuss competition, but 'worry', hmmm.

Just because you are market leader that doesnt mean anything for your future product. A great man once said

"this industry doesnt respect tradition, it respects innovation" Satya :)

Matticers

Only way this is true is if it's releasing in 2017. No way they make any major changes if this is supposed to come out within the next 3 months.

Papacheeks

Banned
In the end does it really matter? I think software support is more important than specs. And that's something Sony has on Microsoft.

I don't know if they would go for the trouble. At this point all they can do to up the specs is bump the clock up, and no matter how much they overclock the design Microsoft would be able to overclock in the same rate and still keep a hefty advantage.

Unless the difference between specs is not actually the chip design, but actually the clock itself, in that case Ms would be closer to the ceiling already and wouldn't be able to increase further.

I can see them getting closer to 5 TF is they really want to.

But likewise I see MS pushing past 6 flop target. Heck I think half the reason they announced 6 teraflops so early was so they can say its actually 7 or 8 later

Rodin

Not sure of how useful this would be without a better CPU, especially if it drives the price higher (and that MS can still make the Scorpio better anyway). Guess i'll just wait and see what they'll do.

But wasn't the Neo supposed to launch this year? It'd be way too late to start shuffling the insides, right?

Even early 2017 seems almost too late to start changing plans now, unless the initial shipment of units is smaller than expected.

The God

PS5 will probably be announced a few months after Scorpio releases...

Plus the domination of the PS4 allows Sony to try things like the Neo.

I don't know why people keep saying this. If they were just gonna release a PS5 in 2018, why bother making the Neo at all?

dr_rus

The only thing they may realistically do at this point is overclock. It won't give them much and will result in worse thermals and decibels.

Don't see why they would be worried as they'll have a year headstart. It's unlikely that Scorpio will change the overall picture by the time it will release no matter how powerful it will be.

The only option of really getting to the same level would be to reengineer and launch in the same time as Scorpio which seems like a waste of time and money. It's better to just bring the PS5 (or whatever they'll call it) closer.

Top Bottom