• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patty Jenkins Set to Direct Wonder Woman 2

Cheerilee

The deal is a superheroic leap for Jenkins, who was paid $1 million for directing the initial Wonder Woman but was looking to get something more on the level of Zack Snyder's pay after he directed Man of Steel, according to sources. Just like the Wonder Woman movie broke glass ceilings for superhero movies, Jenkins' deal breaks glass for women directors.

Zack Snyder and Man of Steel ruined DC movies.

Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman saved DC movies.

If she was paid "more on the level of Zack Snyder" and not "greatly exceeding Zack Snyder", then the glass ceiling still exists.

Ross61

7-9Mil is bank for a director alongside a % of the gross.
You can keep saying that, but when you say stuff like dump truck and sweet sweet money i expect significant more starting point.

If she was paid "more on the level of Zack Snyder" and not "greatly exceeding Zack Snyder", then the glass ceiling still exists.
But Zack Snyder and Man of Steel didn't ruin DC movies....

Ridley327

You can keep saying that, but when you say stuff like dump truck and sweet sweet money i expect significant more starting point.
Do you have $7-$9 million dollars to your name for what will wind up being about a year's worth of work? And that's without the gross points to consider down the line.

Lol at people downplaying a contract that could easily net her $20 million or more after all is said and done.

Also, they should cancel the DCEU and just make Wonder Woman films. If they insist on crossovers they can call it Wonder Woman and Friends.

Ross61

I think you're too hung up on this.
Um... I guess?
Do you have $7-$9 million dollars to your name for what will wind up being about a year's worth of work? And that's without the gross points to consider down the line.
What relevance does this have. If I say I expected significantly more for what was being thrown around then I expected more. I'm happy for her but it is what it is.

The more good/profitable movies you make, you more you get paid. Simple as that.

Yes, the glass ceiling is still there, but this is Jenkins' 3rd movie, ignoring the TV episodes she has directed. Snyder directed at least 8 movies with half of them making decent money for the studio, and also filmed the unfilmable, "Watchmen".

But Jenkins filmed and proceeded to skyrocket the Wonder Woman franchise, which was also deemed unfilmable.

This is a good start, so I cannot diminish this massive success of hers by saying "Only $7 million????". I bet she is livid right now with excitement.

Astral Dog

Hey, a good step is a good step, Patty wasn't exactly known before directing Wonder Woman while Snyder was handpicked by Christopher Nolan

Cheerilee

Hey, a good step is a good step, Patty wasn't exactly known before directing Wonder Woman while Snyder was handpicked by Christopher Nolan

I'm fine with unproven-Patty getting paid merely 1 million for directing Wonder Woman (still a lot of money, IMO), while handpicked-Zack got paid whatever outrageous amount for Man of Steel... but after Wonder Woman, I think Patty deserves to get paid more than Zack got paid after MoS (aka, what Zack got paid for Batman v Superman). Particularly since I think MoS was trash and WW saved DC.

There was just something about the line "more on the level of Zack Snyder's pay" which felt like code for "but still less than" which felt jarring being followed by a comment about the glass ceiling being broken.

Make this the one where she gets her Invisible Jet!

Or maybe save that one for the third Film, I really want this to be post Justice league and not another flashback. So many possibilities, cheetah could be a main villain or maybe another god.

Fucking hyped

Shredderi

curb3.gif

Sweet.

Guess she's also set for more sequels as well?

Anyways looking forward to story info later on. Wonder what villain they are gonna use

iirc Patty hasn't mentioned ambitions about a trilogy, unlike Matt Reeves with Batman. She only mentioned some ideas she had with a sequel.

Going off the rumors, Wonder Woman 2 is set around the cold war. So in theory if you have a similar time jump, it places it close to modern day. But you never know. Maybe Jenkins places it in the 80s or the early 2000s or sets it post-2020.

I'm fine with unproven-Patty getting paid merely 1 million for directing Wonder Woman (still a lot of money, IMO), while handpicked-Zack got paid whatever outrageous amount for Man of Steel... but after Wonder Woman, I think Patty deserves to get paid more than Zack got paid after MoS (aka, what Zack got paid for Batman v Superman). Particularly since I think MoS was trash and WW saved DC.

There was just something about the line "more on the level of Zack Snyder's pay" which felt like code for "but still less than" which felt jarring being followed by a comment about the glass ceiling being broken.
Zack is in tier 2 in top billing for directors after tier 1 guys like Nolan or Spielberg who can do whatever the fuck they want. For someone whose barely made any movies, asking to get paid more than Zack is completely insane. The fact that she's getting that shows some meteoric rise for a movie director (assuming the guy that said she's only directed 3 movies is correct).

EDIT: I checked. The previous post above is wrong according to wiki. WW is her fourth movie she's ever directed, with WW the first ever blockbuster movie. And you're complaining that she should get paid more than what the wealthiest directors get? Not sure why people focus on dumb negatives when they should be impressed how much she rose after a single movie.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Outside of the payday and more creative control, her next project will be backed by Warner fairly easily. She's basically moving into the Nolan club and where Synder was before he got kicked out.

Um... I guess?

What relevance does this have. If I say I expected significantly more for what was being thrown around then I expected more. I'm happy for her but it is what it is.

For a comic book movie that seems pretty high, especially with a percent of the gross on top. Nolan gets like $20 million + a percent of gross IIRC but he's got a much bigger established track record and can open new/original IPs. Wonder Woman 2 would happen with or without Patty. Granted, it could suck without her, and could be detrimental to the health of the franchise and the DCEU long term, but WB would put out a sequel regardless. That plays a part in negotiations I'm sure.

Fularu

Banned
Good for her (or I should say them).

But after finally watching the movie a few days ago I just don't get the love. It's the wonder woman version of Man of Steel. It's prety much the same story down to the same acts.

I did like Pine in the movie though (but I'm biased, I love everything he's done, including his short stint as Jack Ryan)

Keym

Is it that time of the month again when we start getting absolutely batshit crazy news/rumors about the DCEU? Those are always hilarious.

WaterAstro

Hopefully it will be more interesting now that the origin stuff is out of the way.

It was boring to see Wonder Woman being naive almost all of the movie.

I'm still waiting for the day someone can successfully articulate to me why the slow-mo in Wonder Woman is a legitimate problem, and not just a thing that you noticed.

Astral Dog

You are right but i still think BvS was a "bigger" name movie, what they need to do with Zack Snyder is kick him out, he and the Suicide Squad director (who is he?)
One of her movies won an Oscar. What more does she have to prove?
well she still didn't have experience with a high budget or superhero movie despite good critics
its always a risk for confused executives

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wrong thread?
No. Disney having December practically to themselves did fucking wonders for Force Awakens. Rogue One didn't do as well, but I'm gonna say Disney isn't crying about that movie flopping either.

Having that month alone to be the most unquestionably dominant film for the season makes sense for them. I'm not convinced Han Solo won't get pushed.

For their big finale to their new trilogy, of course it would benefit them to ensure as clear of a time period as possible. AGAIN, it makes sense to push to December and avoid any and everyone else. Summer is too much of a bloodbath.

But now with Wonder Woman 2, after the first film was such a dominant powerhouse, they would have some meaningful competition that weekend. Who knows how Aquaman will be received (It's arriving the Christmas prior), but WW is an actual force to be reckoned with now. A move to December becomes alot riskier, and even just mild proximity to that weekend could be damaging for both.

Loxley

You just know that after the news broke out about Trevorrow getting fired from Episode IX broke out, Warner Bros were going to do everything in their power to rush and make sure that they had Patty signed on for this before Lucasfilm could potentially reach out to her and nab her for IX.

I have no idea why the hell she would be tempted to jump to Star Wars when Wonder Woman is basically her baby now and she'll likely have way more creative freedom.

Top Bottom