• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Feig claims Ghostbusters 2016 failed because of the "Anti-Hillary Movement" and not because it was unfunny crap

ManaByte

Gold Member

“Some really brilliant author or researcher or sociologist needs to write a book about 2016 and how intertwined [our film was] with Hillary [Clinton] and the anti-Hillary movement,” Feig said. “It was just this year where everyone went to a boiling point. I don’t know if it was [having] an African-American president for eight years [that] teed them up or something, but they were just ready to explode… By the time, in 2014 or 2015, when I announced I was going to [make] it, it started.”

“It’s crazy how people got nuts about women trying to be in power or trying to be in positions that they weren’t normally in,” Feig said. “It was an ugly, ugly year.”

No, the movie was just shit. It was nothing but unfunny reject SNL skits that didn't know when to end.

cryptoadam

Banned
xwbbSRz.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
Movie was horrible. Only redeeming feature was Chris Hemsworth. Right, we do a female reboot of Ghostbusters and the most entertaining character is still a man. Not sure exactly how to process that one. It's a shame too, Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon are usually hilarious.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think it’s possible that he and Rian Johnson, if they ever cared in the first place, need to believe this for their own sanity.

Imagine it suddenly coming crashing down on you that you destroyed the legacy of a loved cult classic, or in Rian’s case, destroyed four movies and the most loved cultural institution of the west, in under three hours.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Such unfunny fucking garbage that doesn’t deserve to even be in the same conversation as the first two...it’s just objectively garbage. And I like all the actresses in it.

It's Jeff

Banned
gMO9s8a.gif

Feig, if you come back with any more reasons people didn't like your movie except the "jokes" in your "comedy" didn't land, you and me are settling this in the parking lot.

Ragnarok

God what a delusional opinion. Feig seems like a nice guy but sometimes you gotta just suck it up and admit failure.

Ghostbusters 2016 failed because nobody involved with the production had any clue why GB worked.

It needs to be grounded in reality. It needs to have legitimately scary moments. The jokes need to be situation driven. The characters need to be believable as scientists and likable. The tech needs to be something you can actually envision in real life.

2016 had absolutely none of those key components. It was fart jokes and everyone trying to out whacky the last one on screen. It was shot too brightly. The cgi was awful and fake. Everything about it was a miss. You can't be pissed when you remake a classic film in the worst way possible and people say they don't like it.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

It wasn’t a good movie. As a lifelong fan of Ghostbusters I wanted to like it. The natural comedic feel just wasn’t there. Bad flow. Ineffective ad libs out the wazoo.

The key to Ghostbusters was the chemistry between the cast members. I think GB’16 had a great cast with squandered potential. Something was missing. Perhaps a script?

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

“It’s crazy how people got nuts about women trying to be in power or trying to be in positions that they weren’t normally in,” Feig said. “It was an ugly, ugly year.”

And the thing is. I swear there will be people out there that really believe this. I really love the narrative spin.

The trailer reveal should be used as a warning. People don't want remakes and if they do gender swapping the characters doesn't work, it never ever ever ever worked.

Looks like 4 years later though Feig hasn't learnt his lesson.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Odd. Of the top US grossing movies of 2016, Ghostbusters was number 21. The highest grossing film of the year was Finding Dory, which had a female lead, and was very well received. The second highest grossing film of the year was Star Wars: Rogue One. This film not only had a female lead, it remains the only Disney Star Wars film where general consensus is that it's a worthy addition to the canon, from a fanbase that has been dragged through the mud every day for literally years. So, perhaps it's less to do with "an anti-female, anti-Hillary movement" and more to do with the fact that the film is just not enjoyable. Entire minutes long scenes are composed of nothing but the actresses ad libbing, desperately trying to inject life into the defunct script that Feig damned them all with. Rolling out the "racism", "sexism", "capitalism" excuses, instead of just owning it, is getting fucking old.

sobaka770

Banned
I saw this movie in a plane and still it feels like 2 hours I couldn't get back. This movie was terrible, unfunny trash, simply insulting worst I've seen in 2016. Feig had some good movies but this makes me seriously don't his talent. I'm sad it was marketed that way cause women in it are not the issue.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I did not enjoy Lady Ghostbusters at all.

I didn't mind it, but I view it as a very immature parody of a real Ghostbusters film.

Chris Hemsworth was good in it, even if the my cat/mike hat joke was one of the worst attempts at ad libbing ever recorded, but then I blame the director and editor for keeping that in.

Ultimately it failed because it was a shit remake compared to the original though.

The gender swap was not what people were pissed off by, but indicitve of the general clueless and brainless approach that was being taken in making the movie, as the eventual finished work, with it's shoddy writing, jokes, direction, atmosphere, special effects, tone and lighting, proved to be an astute forewarning.

I love how these fuckin weirdos are completely out of touch with reality.

Fans of the originals, like myself, didn't see the movie because it looked nothing like ghostbusters outside of the most surface level aspects. I never gave a shit that it was an all female cast until I saw the first trailer and it had nothing of what made me love ghostbusters as a kid.

The style and tone were obviously completely different. So they turned off the old fans and young people were looking at it like what the fuck is a ghostbuster? It didn't have the appeal to draw in people not familiar with the franchise and it didn't have what made the original franchise great.

Pretty simple.

Fuck off Paul Feig

Last edited:

pel1300

I remember the 2015 neogaf consensus on this while it was filming:

"Great! All female, as it should be"

I, as someone unfamiliar with the original, kept thinking.. But why?

GeorgPrime

Banned
Paul Feig out of touch with reality and an idiot - confirmed

Iam excited for all the tears of the Ghostbusters 3 should be succesful

I remember the 2015 neogaf consensus on this while it was filming:

"Great! All female, as it should be"

I, as someone unfamiliar with the original, kept thinking.. But why?

Was it before everyone left for resetera or after? xD

Last edited:

DKehoe

The backlash was pretty ridiculous. But it was just a small group of people on the internet that no one pays attention to. The real reason no one cared about the film was that it was mediocre at best.

“Talentless Hollywood hack blames everyone except himself for his failure” “More news at 11“

Apparently there is a 3hr Director’s Cut :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Grinchy

Banned
It's genuinely unwatchable. I was ready to laugh at it and it's not even fun bad. It's just bad. I had to watch it in 3 sittings and still didn't get all the way to the end.

It's the most amateur $140M movie I've ever seen, easily. It feels like a cheap low-budget project.

Airola

Yeah it's hillary fault if people didn't enjoyed this stuff
439163c8d42ad250250fe2566bc3b4de.gif

giphy.gif

Lol, those two moments were the absolute worst and cringiest things in the movie :D

I don't mind the movie that much, it's ok, a perfect example of a completely average lukewarm film.

Initially based on the trailers I was already annoyed by the black lady's and Melissa McCarthy's antics and I thought maybe the other two women would not be annoying.
Turns out the female Egon was the most annoying one and the black woman and McCarthy, apart from a few scenes, were actually the most tolerable. Oh god that dance still bugs me.
It's sad that the black lady (I don't remember her name) and McCarthy felt like they were forced to do a few scenes with stupid yelling and cringy one-liners, as they were surprisingly down to earth quite a lot of the movie. It felt like "hey, let's put a random 'McCarthy moment' here" and "hey, let's make the black woman do a few stereotypical sassy black woman things here" just to tick those boxes off.

It's not completely forgettable movie like the Poltergeist remake was, but it's quite close though. Chris Hemsworth had a few legit funny scenes.

Grinchy

Banned
Kristin Wiig did a full frontal nude scene for one of her movies. She's funny and hot and shouldn't have signed on for this trainwreck.

Honestly if they just maybe stuck with the original idea of Ghostbusters and maybe replaced two new members with women as a way of growing from the original stories and continuing the storyline from there it would've worked out better. Outright rebooting it with an all women cast shot them in the foot the moment promotional material went out. They basically forced the whole thing down our throats to coincide with the Me Too movement.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i was thinking yesterday, how one of the first jokes in this movie is about QUEEFing, which is farting out your vagina.

imagine if there was a male Ghostbusters movie that made a prominent joke about BALLS. like the characters actually spend 5 minutes joking about balls. IMAGINE THAT! everyone would think that's the stupidest (and gross) fucking thing to put into a movie. well this is just as stupid.

also watching interviews Paul Feige is hilarious. he's like a snake oil salesman or something, just a pure bullshitter who wears a nice suit. must pay nice to be a Hollywood simp

god this movie was terrible

Last edited:
Top Bottom