• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul McCartney writing music for Bungie

GrizzNKev

Banned
Bungie just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the Beatles (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in England, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the english public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any of Bungie's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Bungie has alienated an entire market with this move.

Bungie, publicly apologize and cancel your new game or you can kiss your business goodbye.

You didn't change enough.

Apdiddy

Randy Newman would have been better

I'm inclined to agree. Either that or get Thomas Newman or Hans Zimmer.

I can imagine the Randy Newman song....

"Space Marine shooting at a bunch of alien bums
Uh oh, he's gotta reload his gun
He push in the clip, aim, shoot shoot shoot
Wow, they're all dead
Space Marine filled them all with space lead."

Pumpkins

Cortana singin' in the dead of night

Where is chief, he's fightin' big bad guys

All her life

She was only waiting for his moment to arrive

*end credits*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
jbojbCTWqFBS9d.jpg

lolol fuckin perfect

Dude just released an awesome jazz album a month or two ago. Anyone who thinks he's no longer producing great music is crazy.

Not sure what he's doing with Bungie though. That seems like a total mismatch.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
lol. This is disheartening only in the fact that it seems like, "Hey, let's get the biggest name we can afford even if it doesn't make sense! And we can afford...anyone now!"

Hopefully it fits thematically, somehow.

We didn't hire Paul. Paul contacted Marty because he heard his work and wanted to collabotate with him. Sort of like I've been contacting James Murphy, minus the restraining order.

Music: http://youtu.be/cm2YyVZBL8U

Lyrics:

Bungie I'm amazed at the way you wow me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the Jones above you
Bungie I'm amazed at the the way you spent my gaming time
Helped me play online
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I hate the Needler

Bungie I'm a fan and maybe I'm a Halo fan
Who's in the middle of darkness
That he doesn't really mind is planned
Bungie I'm a fan and maybe you're the only dev team
who could release Destiny
Bungie won't it help if you expand?

(guitar solo)

Bungie I'm a fan and maybe I'm a Halo fan
Who's in the middle of darkness
That he doesn't really mind is planned
Bungie I'm a fan and maybe you're the only dev team
who could release Destiny
Bungie won't it help if you expand?

Bungie I'm amazed at the way you've shown up at PAX Prime
Maybe I'm afraid this year won't receive you
Bungie I'm amazed at the way you've made games for so long
First a clone of pong
Maybe I'm amazed at the way the consoles need you

8bit

Knows the Score
Have you guys ever heard the music he does under the pseudonym Fireman? The Rushes album in particular is pretty grand. Get it "(The) fireman rushes (in from the pouring rain, very strange). It's all very experimental electronic music that seems like it could easily fit in a science fiction video game franchise...something like what Bungie might develop.

Here'
s a taste of that album, if you guys are interested. I think some of you might really dig it.

As a huge Beatles fan, going way back, and a huge Halo fan, I think this is a match made in heaven.

Hah, was about to mention this. He's done some interesting work that may fit the game and I seem to remember he mentioned earlier this year that he was looking for video game work so why not?

Mindwipe

We didn't hire Paul. Paul contacted Marty because he heard his work and wanted to collabotate with him. Sort of like I've been contacting James Murphy, minus the restraining order.

That's an awesome recognotion of Marty's work. I can only imagine the grin.

Looking forward to what they come up with.

Theonik

MasterChief, All my forerunners seemed so far away
now it looks as though they're here to slay
Oh I believe in MasterChief

McCartney i think loves music the way we love video games. So why wouldnt he know about the Halo music when albums were released for it? How would he not know about Halo even after being at the MS E3 press conference a few years back? He has kids no? Nephews? Even my mother knows what Halo is.

AkuMifune

Banned

I guess you can't say no to Sir Paul, but it seems like a catch-22 situation to be in. What if the stuff they come up with doesn't fit? Isn't there a danger of talking yourselves into liking it because it's effing Paul McCartney? Actually, that just happens in general I guess.

Just funny/odd. Sure it will be awesome, can't wait to hear it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Now that I'm Halo again
Stop Breaking Down Again,
The Simplest Things Set Me Off Again
And Take Me To That Place
Where I Can't Find Master's face
Where I Can't Find Master's face
Master, Master, Master's Face

No matter how anyone spins this, I find this news pretty amazing. And, more importantly, Marty's music has always resonated very powerfully. http://goo.gl/kjXU8 Much more than I can say for what I've heard from Neil Davidge so far. I can't blame Sir Paul for jumping at the opportunity!

FStop7

Banned
I just had a dream. A vision.

My dream was this.

A No One Lives Forever style spy/action game.

With a Paul McCartney composed theme song that sounds like "Live and Let Die"

That's my dream.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Spend all the development money on unnecessary crap, whine about budgets and then say that f2p is the future.

So many jaded folks in here!

This wasn't handled through our publisher, or with development resources. Paul is adding his talent to the mix, and taking the opportunity to work with Marty and Mike. Marty and Mike are excited about the music they're making together, and when they get excited, so do we.

It's really no more complicated than that.

:)

NM0dz

Neo Member
"The wrong two Beatles died first."

Sorry the beatles didn't begin dying in the order you had in mind. I'm sure with your helpful suggestions the world would be a much better place.

Don't see why you see it fit to declare how you wish 2 people died instead of another 2, just because Paul is alive
or is he?!
and writing for bungie.
If this a case where using 'entitled', as discussed in the other thread, is appropriate, then this is probably it.

Didn't McCartney meet with Koji Kondo once?

Thread RESURRECT!

But yeah, Koji Kondo brought that up in an interview:

Kondo: When McCartney came to Japan, I went backstage with Miyamoto and a few others, and when Miyamoto was kind enough to introduce me as the composer of Mario, Paul started singing the overworld BGM from the original game. It had been many years since its debut, so I was surprised he knew it, and really happy.

gdt

Thread RESURRECT!

But yeah, Koji Kondo brought that up in an interview:

Kondo: When McCartney came to Japan, I went backstage with Miyamoto and a few others, and when Miyamoto was kind enough to introduce me as the composer of Mario, Paul started singing the overworld BGM from the original game. It had been many years since its debut, so I was surprised he knew it, and really happy.

Dont do this.

Edit: What ever happened with this anyway?

Top Bottom