• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Rudd puts out a video and GAF needs to help me figure out if its a parody or serious, mask related.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

So ya I am not sure if this is pro mask, or making fun of masking. Cuomo retweeted it so I guess this is supposed to be a pro mask statement, but then the whole thing feels like satire on the mask stuff, especially the part where he says this is a convo where I talk and you shut up and listen or the end where he yells its SCIENCE.

So GAF is this Paul Rudd being serious about wearing masks, or mocking the maskers. I really can't tell.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
But whats the science he is screaming about? Where is the RCT/Peer reviewed science?

and I guess I should just believe Paul Rudd because he stared in a movie about science ?

The SCIENCE said its so, don't question what science, like Paul says, Shut up and listen.

Science also says that conservatives should be sent to re education camps because they are racist, ITS THE SCIENCE SHUT UP AND LISTEN.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
But whats the science he is screaming about? Where is the RCT/Peer reviewed science?

and I guess I should just believe Paul Rudd because he stared in a movie about science ?

The SCIENCE said its so, don't question what science, like Paul says, Shut up and listen.

Science also says that conservatives should be sent to re education camps because they are racist, ITS THE SCIENCE SHUT UP AND LISTEN.
Because he's fuckin Ant Man bro

Reactions: cryptoadam

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
irony poisoning
just making fun of how he doesn't look his age
they better keep making these tired jokes as long as they can still pass it off. won't be long until they don't work. dude's eyes are starting to sag in that thumbnail.

one day we are going to see a photo of him without makeup on and it' gonna hit people like a ton of bricks.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Funny for the wrong reasons. Rudd did his job here about as well as anyone in his position could, but it was a doomed project. Try harder, Cuomo!
Yeah, was Cuomo following teh science when he stuffed covid patients in care homes? Paul doesn't seem too concerned about that while he's shrieking about how important science is.

Last edited:

trikster40

Dec 12, 2008
It was funny until the end when he got way too serious and aid “hundreds of thousands of people are dying and it’s 100% preventable. Just wear a mask!”

So naïve. I know quite a few people who got COVID and wear their mask everywhere.Does it help? Sure, probably, but 100% preventable? Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeresJohnny

LOLCats

Sep 5, 2013
The ending makes it pretty obvious did you not make it that far.

He basically says all the anti-maskers are fucking ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Batiman

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Wow. That’s just stupid on every level. And there’s no science about wearing masks. None. There are dumbass internet memes about droplets or people pissing themselves. But as far as actual data showing masks have decreased transmission, it doesn’t exist.

And the cringe factor doesn’t even need to be addressed.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie - 12Deflections
Mar 1, 2017
ad for millennials targeted for boomers. ok

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018

You wanted Science?

Reactions: Batiman

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Wow. That’s just stupid on every level. And there’s no science about wearing masks. None. There are dumbass internet memes about droplets or people pissing themselves. But as far as actual data showing masks have decreased transmission, it doesn’t exist.

And the cringe factor doesn’t even need to be addressed.
Funny you say there's no science... Which I found with a Google search... Which you would have if you bothered to look instead of believing whatever a politician says.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
You wanted Science?

Gonna need a gold standard. I can produce dozens of HCQ studies showing its effective and we all know where that leads.

And hey I aint really anti mask been wearing one since April when it wasn't cool and the WHO and health experts were saying not wear one and I was a douche asshole for stealing em from health care workers.

I go with what the WHO and Fauci said before June. If your sick wear a mask.

Reactions: DeafTourette

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Gonna need a gold standard. I can produce dozens of HCQ studies showing its effective and we all know where that leads.

And hey I aint really anti mask been wearing one since April when it wasn't cool and the WHO and health experts were saying not wear one and I was a douche asshole for stealing em from health care workers.

I go with what the WHO and Fauci said before June. If your sick wear a mask.
Same. When some of my co-workers (about half) got COVID-19... I was one of the ones who didn't because I wore my masks, washed my hands, used hand sanitizer and kept my distance.

I got tested and came back negative... But half my co-workers had to quarantine for 2 weeks. Some got sick... And are still sick. And they aren't elderly.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Same. When some of my co-workers (about half) got COVID-19... I was one of the ones who didn't because I wore my masks, washed my hands, used hand sanitizer and kept my distance.

I got tested and came back negative... But half my co-workers had to quarantine for 2 weeks. Some got sick... And are still sick. And they aren't elderly.
I think the washing of hand and distance probably saved you more than the mask. Its what everybody was saying. Masks offer marginal benefits and are pretty much useless without the other 2.

Most people with masks constantly touch them, and re use them. The mask thats been sitting in your car and you put on for the 20th time is just a germ petri dish. I have a friend who works at a hospital and they kit up with goggles face shield masks and are always getting new gear each time they see new patients etc...

I mainly wear a mask because I know that business's require it and as a courtesy to them. I don't want some guy to have to shut down his store and hire expensive cleaners or get fines etc... There annoying but who am I to possible ruin some one elses hard work.

If everyone wore a mask perfectly, changed their masks constantly, washed hands, social distanced then they probably will help. But it would have to be in that optimum setting. And I don't know about neck gaiters because been seeing a lot of stuff saying they may actually make things worse. n95's and up are probably the best while t-shrits/neck gaiters/cloth masks might be the least effective.

Reactions: DeafTourette

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
I think the washing of hand and distance probably saved you more than the mask. Its what everybody was saying. Masks offer marginal benefits and are pretty much useless without the other 2.

Most people with masks constantly touch them, and re use them. The mask thats been sitting in your car and you put on for the 20th time is just a germ petri dish. I have a friend who works at a hospital and they kit up with goggles face shield masks and are always getting new gear each time they see new patients etc...

I mainly wear a mask because I know that business's require it and as a courtesy to them. I don't want some guy to have to shut down his store and hire expensive cleaners or get fines etc... There annoying but who am I to possible ruin some one elses hard work.

If everyone wore a mask perfectly, changed their masks constantly, washed hands, social distanced then they probably will help. But it would have to be in that optimum setting. And I don't know about neck gaiters because been seeing a lot of stuff saying they may actually make things worse. n95's and up are probably the best while t-shrits/neck gaiters/cloth masks might be the least effective.

I remember reading that the more effective face covering is a plastic face shield. I found some great ones on Amazon for cheap.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Rudd aged pretty well. He doesn't look all that different then he did on Friends.

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
Covid virus is not a germ and cannot grow in a petri dish or mask by itself, only in living cells.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
If the mask doesn't protect that non-protection goes both ways. It does not protect me from you nor does it protect you from me.
That's not true. It protects you from me if I wear it.

They put those types of messages on the box for legal reasons. It does not protect yourself. It stops droplets from spreading from your mouth and hitting other people or surfaces. Unless you think every hospital in the world has that wrong during surgeries, that's what it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Urban Viking

NH1982

Jul 9, 2019
That's not true. It protects you from me if I wear it.

They put those types of messages on the box for legal reasons. It does not protect yourself. It stops droplets from spreading from your mouth and hitting other people or surfaces. Unless you think every hospital in the world has that wrong during surgeries, that's what it does.
No, it minimises the risk. it doesn't protect shit. A respirator protects, a mask slightly stops the spread of air. Those virus will still enter the air through that mask.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
You wanted Science?

So I looked into that a little bit. Here’s the “science” they are using.

Mounting scientific research shows that widespread wearing of masks, along with practicing social distancing and frequent hand-washing, would greatly reduce community transmission of the virus. The effectiveness of masking was recently highlighted by a study that found two COVID-19-positive Missouri hair stylists did not pass the virus on to any of their 139 clients. The stylists and their clients wore masks.
The “study” is about two hairdressers. I’ve seen this anecdote before. But there is no way to know those two hairdressers were actually contagious at the time they were with all those clients. That’s as reliable as me saying that my hospital had +70 positive staff members in the last month despite mask wearing. So I guess they cancel each other out. That’s how science works, right?

Going to the link of “mounting evidence” produces this:

This review included two case studies out today, one from JAMA, showing that adherence to universal masking policies reduced SARS-CoV-2 transmission within a Boston hospital system, and one from CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), showing that wearing a mask prevented the spread of infection from two hair stylists to their customers in Missouri.
So this is it according to your link. Two anecdotal cases. One at a hospital and one with two hairstylists. That is not science.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2009
The whole bit was written like it wanted to be a Tim & Eric bit, but it wasn't funny and it was far far too long. That should have been a 10-20 second video.