• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Rustchynsky (Evolution Studios) tweets '10 days', possibly game at PS Meeting?

yurinka

i5x2pErV7chbW.gif

Detective Gaf, check all the tweets from PD, SSM and ND! Let's see if we find another clue from them!

itd be some sort of GTesque clone (but arcadey).. I mean, they did want to use the GT horizony branding ala forza but polyphony said no.

itd be some sort of GTesque clone (but arcadey).. I mean, they did want to use the GT horizony branding ala forza but polyphony said no.

As they should.

It was mentioned in the other thread, I don't want anything to dilute the GT brand.

Forza Horizon was a lot of fun, but it also pushed Forza as a property further away from being the "serious" MS sim franchise to a multifaceted one.

DaBuddaDa

He could just be hyping for the event on the 20th since it's already announced, not necessarily indicating something he's involved with will be shown or present. I'd think Sony wouldn't be too happy with him otherwise.

Oh how I would love a next gen Motorstorm taking everything they learned this gen. I'd be in heaven.

Each game sold progressively worse. What did they learn? I'm hoping what they learned is that it's time to move on to another series. Excited to see anything other than more Motorstorm from them. Snowmobiling. Haven't had one of those for ages. Or something along the lines of Hydro Thunder.

Cyberia

yurinka

I want next gen Wipeout, Motorstorm, Jet Moto and Rollcage. Go mix their best features and ideas, make sure they're well ducktaped and make a new IP as a crossover reboot.
Having key members from SCE Liverpool, Bizarre and Evolution it only can be good.
I thought Rare was rumoured to be working on something of the sort and focusing heavily on water physics?

Or was that debunked?
Kinectimals Beach Adventures. Now with dolphins and giant enemy crabs.
Sony's equivalent to PGR possibly made with some ex-Bizarre staff?
This concept of 'realistic urban arcade racer' is dead. It killed Bizarre. So please forget PGR and make something different.

I want next gen Wipeout, Motorstorm, Jet Moto and Rollcage. Go mix their best features and ideas, make sure they're well ducktaped and make a new IP as a crossover reboot.
Having key members from SCE Liverpool, Bizarre and Evolution it only can be good.

Kinectimals Beach Adventures. Now with dolphins and giant enemy crabs.

This concept of 'realistic urban arcade racer' is dead. It killed Bizarre. So please forget PGR and make something different.

:lol

Then what do you want to them to make? Racing games in general sold pretty poorly this generation if they weren't part of an already established brand. You mention Motorstorm and Wipeout, but neither of those franchises were particular big this gen either (Motorstorm start off big, but trailed off with each new entry). But next-gen is new and it's certainly possible that racers will regain popularity like they were in the PSone and PS2 days. And racers with that are more down to earth have almost always been the most popular.

yurinka

ok so it's Motorstorm confirmed, but it's taking place...where?

not in desert
not in jungle
not in snow
not in postapoc
in the future, pre-Wipeout city.

Then what do you want to them to make? Racing games in general sold pretty poorly this generation if they weren't part of an already established brand. You mention Motorstorm and Wipeout, but neither of those franchises were particular big this gen either (Motorstorm start off big, but trailed off with each new entry). But next-gen is new and it's certainly possible that racers will regain popularity like they were in the PSone and PS2 days. And racers with that are more down to earth have almost always been the most popular.
You have it above : something new getting the best ideas from their games. Add modern stuff like open world and some unique ideas. Urban racers genre as PGR etc is too stagnant and milked. We need new stuff.

in the future, pre-Wipeout city.

You have it above : something new getting the best ideas from their games. Add modern stuff like open world and some unique ideas. Urban racers genre as PGR etc is too stagnant and milked. We need new stuff.

wipeout 2032?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You guy are going to freak out.

Ten more days!

But a lot of recent racers have tried to do that, and some of them have ended with bad results for that particular developer. Blur (Bizarre) and Split/Second (Black Rock) were unique takes on the genre, but both games resulted in the studios being closed. Even the new NFS is unique with how they handle on the fly upgrades, but it seems like it might be one of the least popular NFS titles in recent memory.

I've actually thought for a while that one of the big issues with the genre is that developers are always trying to come up with new and wacky ideas instead of just focusing on the basis. This will likely be an arcade racers, so just look at popular games in those genres. Particularly at the once kings of the genre, Sega. There really isn't anything complicated or hard to explain about those games. Games like Daytona and Sega Rally were very straight forward, yet they were extremely popular. Great visuals, fantastic track design and handling that just feel right. There's nothing wrong with simple when it's done right.

fvng

Is Evolution voluntarily making Motorstorm games or are these being made under Sony orders?

I feel like Sony Liverpool got burnt out on making Wipeout games, I would like to see Evolution spread their wings a little where Liverpool didn't get to.

Is Evolution voluntarily making Motorstorm games or are these being made under Sony orders?

I feel like Sony Liverpool got burnt out on making Wipeout games, I would like to see Evolution spread their wings a little where Liverpool didn't get to.

The rumors are that this is a new IP and the team is being led by Ged Talbot (one of the former lead designers for PGR).

Top Bottom