• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan: Health care plan must change to pass the House

Status
Not open for further replies.
House Speaker Paul D. Ryan said Wednesday that his health care proposal must change to pass the House, marking a significant retreat from his earlier position that the carefully crafted legislation would fail if altered.

The shift came after a private meeting of House Republicans from which Ryan (R-Wis.) emerged to tell reporters that his proposal to revise the Affordable Care Act would “incorporate feedback” from the rank-and-file. Ryan attributed the change of strategy to the impact of an analysis issued Monday by the Congressional Budget Office. Among other details that prompted a fresh round of criticism of the proposal was a projection that 14 million fewer Americans would be insured after one year under the Republican plan.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...breaking-news&pushid=breaking-news_1489620287

Keep the L's coming

Vestal

Gold Member
Jm0hcyg.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They're going to make it even worse I bet. The new bill is just going to say,"Fuck poor people"

Ac30

But the CBO is fake news

Also they'll sweeten the bill somehow (maybe not shit on Medicare) but it'll still be worse than the ACA, in almost every way.

Dems better get ready to filibuster the next 4 years

Armaros

Who knew that even republican voters want Healthcare if they finally are given it, even if its from a Democrat?

And taking it away isn't going to happen without a fight?

kaskade

Wonder how they're changing it. More liberal policies or more conservative policies?

It's funny because it seems like there was a good amount of republicans who didn't like the bill because it didn't go far enough to the right. Push it further to the right and the bigger the public outcry. Push it further to the left and more republicans will oppose it. The republicans are a joke right now.

Grym

Yeah...well maybe you should have been formulating a fix/replacement over the past decade instead of, you know, doing absolutely nothing but obstructing

jay

Who could have guessed rallying behind being against something for years and never actually having any coherent concept for something to be for could turn out like this?

Armaros

It's funny because it seems like there was a good amount of republicans who didn't like the bill because it didn't go far enough to the right. Push it further to the right and the bigger the public outcry. Push it further to the left and more republicans will oppose it. The republicans are a joke right now.

Its the safe super right-wing districts vs narrowly won seats. And nothing else really, if a majority of the seats were ultra safe, it would have already past the House by now. The vunerable seats are terrified of both primaries from their own party (attacking them for taking away health care) AND an election were the Democrat can just attack them with the healthcare vote forever.

Iolo

If they move the bill to the left, the Freedom Caucus will revolt, and they have enough votes to scuttle it. So they have to move the bill to the right. But they can't move it any further to the right without kicking even more people off insurance, and they can't add provisions like sale over state lines because it's not allowed via reconciliation. So wtf are they going to do, are they just winging it?

I remember the halcyon days when Trump said this beautiful bill was coming to his desk unchanged ... I think that was 3 days ago

Mully

If they want to change it positively they should (but won't) add a public option.

I believe there is a lot of merit to the Republican argument that Medicare is no better treatment plan for sick elderly people. Studies have shown that geriatrics on Medicare live to the same age as those without it.

If Republicans really want to cut Medicare, they must incorporate a public option which allows for proactive and preventative healthcare measures, such as easy access to mental health services, subsidies for gym and fitness plans, and possible tax exempt status for certain healthy foods for public option enrollees. Such a program would likely lower health care costs for elderly people considerably once those people reach AARP age.

That said, such a plan to cut Medicare would have to be slowly cut over a long period of time, while the public option would have to be enacted immediately. I doubt a Republican or Democrat would favor such measures.

jay

They can move the bill to the right, throw millions of people off the boat, and then win an election in four or eight years. That's the promise of America.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Dems should get out there and start touting their own ways to improve the ACA. The public wants improvements, tell them ways you want to improve it. Go big.

Blader

He was saying literally hours ago that they had the votes in the House to pass the bill and that they weren't concerned about, or even believing, the CBO score. What a complete loser.

Gruco

Banned
Paul Ryan is an ideological clown who is only motivated by enacting flagrantly regressive policies.

The entire House GOP became so entrenched in their knee-jerk opposition to Obama that they lost all capacity for serious legislation and policy analysis.

The Freedom Caucus and the Senate are irreconcilably divided on this issue.

There is no ideological center of gravity for the republicans on health care because not enough of them take is seriously as an issue and they've already staked out a hard line opposition to their best chance at a compromise.

The lack of seriousness on policymaking, combined with their rigid opposition to everything Obama ever touched, will force them to continue to put themselves on the record supporting shit policies that make life worse for Americans everywhere.

People remember Iraq and Katrina, but the issue that irrevocably broke Bush was his effort to take away entitlements.

I can't figure out Ryan and the Republican's strategy doing this, but it was never about passing a better health care legislation. All that mattered was that they could say Obamacare was repealed. Sounds like a losing outcome no matter if their bill got through or not, so where were they exactly going with this?

Allard

I can't figure out Ryan and the Republican's strategy doing this, but it was never about passing a better health care legislation. All that mattered was that they could say Obamacare was repealed. Sounds like a losing outcome no matter if their bill got through or not, so where were they exactly going with this?

Dog chasing car actually manages to latch onto the bumper. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Ponn

Banned
I honestly wish they weren't having this infighting right now and would just pass the shitty bill as is as soon as possible. They have poisoned ACA for 8 years and this is their put up or shut up moment. They are going to replace ACA no matter what, there is no stopping that at this point. And whatever they put in place is going to fail unless they go single payer which is not an option for them. So get this shit out there and let them wallow in it and let voters feel the effect by mid terms so this is fresh in their heads.

Gallbaro

Banned
You have to assume they are going to be trapped and going bi partisan. Abandon the freedom caucus loons who can only loose their seats for not being conservative enough.

I spent some time trying to puzzle out what the hell Ryan is doing here and I finally settled on this. He is completely incompetent. He is a shitty small time politician who has managed to constantly fail his way up. He is in over his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom