• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Thurrott: April's next Xbox announcement "pushed back a month"

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is going to make me jump off a bridge.

You realize they never announced any show right? Also that the 360 was announced in MAY?
I feel like you could say all that in the thread title and people still wouldn't get it.

Kaz says they're not announcing their shit until after Microsoft does? "Okay, Sony, take your time!"

Microsoft taking their time announcing the 720? "Lol, Microsoft panic mode."

There's nothing here to indicate that Microsoft is in panic mode, especially since no date was given anyways.

Honestly if the reveal is May 21 it seems to me they need to choose to either have amazing reveal or amazing E3. I hope they just hold a decent announcement and save all the big bombs for E3 to battle Sony.

Kaz says they're not announcing their shit until after Microsoft does? "Okay, Sony, take your time!"

I suggest you revisit that thread :D

Reiko

Banned

EWDdv.jpg

scently

Hehe. Somehow I am not surprised they pushed it back. By that I mean that somehow I am not bordered by this news. I am sure whenever they decide to show us the goods, it will be worth it.

harSon

Banned
Basically how i thought they'd announce all along. Two back to back conferences equals max hype.

Edit. Expect this to be aimed at the mass market as well. Big name celebrity, loads of advertising, little mention of tech speak etc.

Yup, and it's the smart thing to do. A style over substance unveiling for the mainstream media, and then flesh out the underlying details at e3 for the gaming community.

The closer to E3 this gets the more I think that this announcement is going to be more pf a tease like the mtv event just to get excitement going.

If they were actually "panicking", wouldn't it have made more sense for them to have a conference this month to 1-up Sony as soon as possible?

These posts are so funny.

The way I see it is if they were prepared they would have had a conference within 4 weeks or less of the PlayStation Meeting, that way they could have used PAX & GDC to continue to talk about their console, as Sony did. They also keep themselves active in the next gen conversation for the three months leading up to E3.

I wouldn't be surprised if they assumed Sony wasn't as far along as they were and thought they'd have an E3 (or close to E3) reveal, giving them plenty of time to hammer out their own reveal. Sony blindsided them... hell, everyone... with their Feb 20th meeting announcement.
Don't get me wrong- I agree with your post that I quoted. Yes, a rushed conference after that when they clearly wouldn't have been ready would have been 'panicking'. Fortunately someone at MS is smarter than that, because it likely would have been a disaster.

Still, just three weeks prior to E3?

To me three weeks before E3 just doesn't give them a lot of time in the spotlight, as Takuya has said in this thread multiple times.
As a major business owner in a competitive market, what would you prefer? Almost four months of positive attention & free advertising via word-of-mouth or three weeks? Once E3 hits, the gloves come off and we have presumably an even playing field.

Regardless of how things pan out, this is an exciting time for those of us that love this hobby. This E3 should be legendary. :)

Better to delay than push forward with a poor unveiling.

Disappointed that we have to wait, but if it means a more focused event with lots of gameplay demos, feature demos, etc then I can live with it.

Digital Foundry commented after the PS4 announcement that were Microsoft to change any hardware specifications, it would delay the launch of the machine by around eight months. It is far more likely that the demos they intended to show just aren't ready yet

Hindle

Banned
Don't be surprised if MS reveal an exclusive on a Game Informer cover in early May either. I think that's how they start the hype train.

Takuya

Banned
I think that's kinda low myself. My psn and live friends still for the most part have no idea it's was announced.
That's because you're mainly shooter fans. And it's not a secret that shooters have been Microsoft cash cow this generation. And yes I checked your xbox profile.

BigMack

He just tweeted May 21st as the date...

Three weeks before e3.

What was the original date? April what?

My guess would be they got discouraged from all the negative feedback about the always "Kinnected" feature. Maybe they are scrambling to reconfigure it so you don't HAVE to have a Kinnect thing plugged in for it to work.

That or they just don't want to screw with the sales of the 360 *shrugs*

If MS thinks they are in the drivers seat, after how this generation has played out, then they are Fucked

when you can barely outsell your competitor with a years head start, costing nearly twice as much less, and with the favorable 3rd party support you better damn not think your controlling anything, let us pray, for MS sake, they are not as fucking retarded as some of their fans seem to think they are

you can be an air head when you have 70% market share, but when your barely scraping past 30%......

How anyone can be in the drivers seat with less than 30% market share is anyone's guess.

It's the same guys ignorantly thinking America = rest of the world.

Digital Foundry commented after the PS4 announcement that were Microsoft to change any hardware specifications, it would delay the launch of the machine by around eight months. It is far more likely that the demos they intended to show just aren't ready yet

They need the extra time to fully utilize the full power of the 7970 cards in the alpha kits.

All we'll see at the event is target renders and fake demos not dissimilar to those Sony showed throughout 2005.

Razgreez

I think that's kinda low myself. My psn and live friends still for the most part have no idea it's was announced.

I find comments like these exceptionally strange. How does one know people do not know something has been announced? By asking them if they have heard of the announcement one is thereby directly informing them of said announcement immediately contradicting oneself. After all just because somebody does not explicitly talk about something does not make them unaware of it

Then again maybe it's just late here and i'm perhaps just being "too logical" or something

If MS thinks they are in the drivers seat, after how this generation has played out, then they are Fucked

when you can barely outsell your competitor with a years head start, costing nearly twice as much less, and with the favorable 3rd party support you better damn not think your controlling anything, let us pray, for MS sake, they are not as fucking retarded as some of their fans seem to think they are

you can be an air head when you have 70% market share, but when your barely scraping past 30%......

They are in the driver's seat. They own the biggest gaming territory in the world. They've made significantly more money than Sony this gen. They've demolished Sony's marketshare this gen. Doesn't mean they'll repeat that, but it does mean they operate from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness as Sony currently is. You can use the oft-repeated inane "1 year late, double the price" nonsense, but that's just an example of how Sony screwed themselves. Microsoft then tried to hand it all back to Sony with the RROD fiasco and Sony said, "Nah, no thanks. Don't want it." MS rightly or wrongly is going to approach next gen in a way that benefits their business the most. They're not sitting around saying, "Omigod omigod Sony did this, we need to match it."

Off-topic, but what kind of emotion is this gif supposed to be conveying?

I was trying to read his lips. Is it the expression that's the point of that gif? I dont get it either.

Maybe they just don't see any benefit to announcing in April. I'm sure they weighed the benefits and cons on announcing before GDC and either decided that it wasn't worth it or they just were not ready, but with no conferences until E3 what are they really missing out on or would they gain by announcing in April?

I find comments like these exceptionally strange. How does one know people do not know something has been announced? By asking them if they have heard of the announcement one is thereby directly informing them of said announcement immediately contradicting oneself. After all just because somebody does not explicitly talk about something does not make them unaware of it

Then again maybe it's just late here and i'm perhaps just being "too logical" or something

"Did you watch the PS4 reveal/announcement event?"

"What? There was a PS4 reveal/announcement event? When?"

Etc, etc, etc. Sounds like you need to get some sleep.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Why should Microsoft fear Sony? All they did was eviscerate Sony's market share this generation. Microsoft (and every console maker really) probably will study the cluster that was the PS3 as a case study in how to shit the bed and lose market share like few companies before it.
If the best that MS can do is basically pull slightly ahead of Sony when they're shitting the bed, that seems a fairly rational reason to at least be concerned about them when they're not...

They are in the driver's seat. They own the biggest gaming territory in the world. They've made significantly more money than Sony this gen. They've demolished Sony's marketshare this gen. Doesn't mean they'll repeat that, but it does mean they operate from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness as Sony currently is. You can use the oft-repeated inane "1 year late, double the price" nonsense, but that's just an example of how Sony screwed themselves. Microsoft then tried to hand it all back to Sony with the RROD fiasco and Sony said, "Nah, no thanks. Don't want it." MS rightly or wrongly is going to approach next gen in a way that benefits their business the most. They're not sitting around saying, "Omigod omigod Sony did this, we need to match it."

I was trying to read his lips. Is it the expression that's the point of that gif? I dont get it either.

Driver seat never works,we saw that with sony from ps2>ps3.

Isn't this kind of a given? If you're a MS/Sony/Nintendo fanboy, every year is a good year. Whether it's a good year or not.

Driver seat never works,we saw that with sony from ps2>ps3.

Sony was stupidly arrogant and blind to reality. Not just with the PS3, but with almost all of their businesses. If Microsoft is that way, they'll fail too. Problem is they're not showing us what their approach is going to be, so we can't judge it yet.

Hindle

Banned
Microsofts 360 reveal was rushed if I remember. They gained a lot of negative press for it. No doubt they don't want to make the same mistake again.

Isn't this kind of a given? If you're a MS/Sony/Nintendo fanboy, every year is a good year. Whether it's a good year or not.

Sony was stupidly arrogant and blind to reality. Not just with the PS3, but with almost all of their businesses. If Microsoft is that way, they'll fail too. Problem is they're not showing us what their approach is going to be, so we can't judge it yet.

Being a Nintendo fan hasn't really been that good since SMG2 ;_;

beast786

I thought wii did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom