• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pawel Sasko (CDPR) explains why characters look plastic/glossy in cyberpunk images

A convenient argument when it's probably more just an issue with the engine or modeling middleware, but I appreciate developers who attempt to provide an in-universe, contextual explanation for mechanics and other system elements as though it is by design rather than "because videogames."

The Fartist

Gold Member
bAAjwsH.gif

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
A convenient argument when it's probably more just an issue with the engine or modeling middleware, but I appreciate developers who attempt to provide an in-universe, contextual explanation for mechanics and other system elements as though it is by design rather than "because videogames."
lol its elementary to change the gloss of a material

Last edited:

magnumpy

it looks good for a previous generation game. we are moving into the ps5 generation, this is basically just a previous generation ps4 type game so what more do you expect. it's a perfect example of why a new generation is needed :(

Kuranghi

Yeah it sounds better than "Subsurface-scattering fucked the framerate too much so we turned it off".

nemiroff

Gold Member

Yeah I wonder why CDPR make such a pathetic excuse instead of hiring Your majestic and mindblowing skills to flip a few material parameters in the dev tools. I'm so unworthy of your presence that I'm going to humbly put you on ignore.

Daffy Duck

Are people being serious in here? I can’t tell. Lol

In the World of Cyberpunk book the characters are even drawn with this art in mind, other characters are not.

Last edited:

CSJ

Not every character has this, in fact most don't from footage we've seen, it isn't convenient, it's an actual thing that people use in the games lore.
Members of the Mox use it quite a bit it seems.

Are people being serious in here? I can’t tell. Lol

In the World of Cyberpunk book the characters are even drawn with this art in mind, other characters are not.

I don't think i could possibly see any reasonable individual taking a painfully obvious design choice for a skin-like material - that apparently not everyone will possess given the footage we've seen - and spinning it around to make it sound like some sort of controversial topic worth discussing.

As for insane individuals, i expect anything.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Really?
Where's the evidence for that?

Especially because, for comparison sake, engine and middleware seem to be coping on these shots, where there's no shortage of skin on display:

Cyberpunk2077_My_name_is_Evelyn_RGB-en.jpg

Cyberpunk2077_You_have_a_lighter_RGB-en.jpg

Cyberpunk2077_Lucky_number_13_RGB-en.jpg
It's so easy to tell the real devs on this forum from the know it all clowns that spent a few hours with unity. The morons that think this is an engine problem don't have a clue, and you just proved it!

Last edited:
does he think he's being funny?

its just way too much of a specular value in their shader calculations

like xbox1 and bump mapping, tone it down chief...christ

So cybernetic skin would have realistic skin pigments?

So cybernetic skin would have realistic skin pigments?
Depends, in certain fictional canons they do (and TBH in this very game there appear to be augments that more closely mimic natural appearance).
More generally, wouldn't one of the main appeals of augmented body parts be to conceal them from immediate recognition as manufactured?

scalman

i just feel sad fro any devs that needs to explain stuff about their new game that is not yet released . why you need to explain yourself about anything ? just finish game make it as you invisioned it and thats all. not waste time for reading nonsense online and answering to it. just looks sad .

Really?
Especially because, for comparison sake, engine and middleware seem to be coping on these shots, where there's no shortage of skin on display:
I defer to your expertise on the ins-and-outs of RedEngine4 via screenshot analysis.

GymWolf

Depends, in certain fictional canons they do (and TBH in this very game there appear to be augments that more closely mimic natural appearance).
More generally, wouldn't one of the main appeals of augmented body parts be to conceal them from immediate recognition as manufactured?
well a lot of character are proud of their tech upgrades in this universe.

i mean look all the people with prosthetic arms and legs without any skin to cover the surgery...

it kinda looks cool if you can imagine yourself living in a universe like that, maybe having shiny skin is cool over there.

Last edited:
I defer to your expertise on the ins-and-outs of RedEngine4 via screenshot analysis.

So you have no evidence for your claims?
Roger.

Your world-class expertise allowed you to make claims about the engine and middleware based on a screenshot.

Evidently, no one else in the world is allowed to wonder based off on three.

Last edited:
i just feel sad fro any devs that needs to explain stuff about their new game that is not yet released . why you need to explain yourself about anything ? just finish game make it as you invisioned it and thats all. not waste time for reading nonsense online and answering to it. just looks sad .

lol then stop showing it off, wtf...

Really?

Cyberpunk2077_My_name_is_Evelyn_RGB-en.jpg

Cyberpunk2077_You_have_a_lighter_RGB-en.jpg

Cyberpunk2077_Lucky_number_13_RGB-en.jpg
Thanks, this is what I was looking for... that shiny person was an android of some sort.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cyberpunk has both glossy and normie, so I don't think that's the case.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah I mean they are basically robots this totally makes sense

jfc people complaining about robot skin not looking “realistic”

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s interesting that we’re so predisposed to thinking overly glossy people are a graphical overreach, usually from the beginning of the shader era, we can’t accept it as an artistic choice on specific characters, a decade and a half later.

I just wonder what else that could happen for.

SirTerry-T

Art direction looks great. People need to ease up on this need for everything to look as photorealistic as possible. Real life's boring enough. If some glossy skin means we can escape things for a while, then bring it on.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My comment comes more from the perspective that the egregious appearance of the gloss is a byproduct of the tool set, not that the glossy model is a bug or unintentional.
Yeah, but how can it be a toolset issue if they seemingly can do both? Unless there's some other cost that's not aware to me.

I knew what it was as soon as I saw it from the previews and thought it was awesome that they went that far for immersion... Are people really that confused about this? It fits the world perfectly for some people to have augmented shells, or skin of all kinds.... Plenty of people with normal looking skin as well, so I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion it's an engine issue? Like what?

Top Bottom