• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Australia: Homeworld Remastered Feb. 2015 (tentative), new screens

Five minutes from Gearbox's PAX Australia panel. They say they haven't pinned down a solid date yet (i.e. don't be surprised if this changes) but Gearbox is aiming to release Homeworld remastered within the next few months, targeting February 2015. They showed off the same remastered cutscene video from PAX Prime (I think?), but then followed up with some new screens of what is presumably gameplay footage.

These are shots taken from the YouTube video, so they're not amazing quality, but they're the best images yet of what Homeworld HD will look like.

mwXAl44.png

MLVJSvG.png

qSf9viQ.png

JBwDTNA.png

In addition to substantially improved textures and models, there's some heavy depth-of-field effects going on in the shots, especially on the last image of the Kushan resource collector. I'm hoping/assuming these effects will be toned down for release, or else are just an artifact of the close-up shots of the individual ships (which you rarely use during actual gameplay).

An additional note for international fans: apparently international pre-orders for the Collector's Edition are now open on various Amazon sites, or will be in the coming days. The U.S. pre-orders sold out long ago, as did the Canadian ones. The video mentions Australian pre-orders via Amazon.co.uk, but I can't find any listings yet. Amazon.de is also missing. So consider this a heads-up if you're interested and haven't already decided to eat the import costs to get a North American copy: check your local Amazon site in the coming days.

Dock if mold (or if taking screenies of the panel video is verboten on GAF, I wasn't really sure but I'd seen it done in previous Homeworld Remastered threads).

I never got to properly play this when I was younger, so I'm looking forward to picking up the remaster. It feels pretty dirty giving money to Gearbox, but I suppose supporting the IP is more important.

DocSeuss

I am so glad I preordered this. So hyped. You have no conception of my hype.

Homeworld 2 is one of my favorite games. It is to me what, I dunno, like... Ocarina of Time is to the average person.

iFirez

I've actually never played the original Homeworld, but I played the shit out of Homeworld 2 back in the day - looking forward to this HD release, more people need to be exposed to the awesomness of Homeworld.

Teremap

Banned
Man, so excited for this. Major Homeworld fan right here.

Though I have to admit, the color schemes on those ships are pretty over the top in retrospect. Hard to beat gunmetal grey these days. Heh.

Card Boy

Banned
For some reason i read it has Homefront Remastered and thought to myself 'why the fuck would i want that Cryshit?'

Chobel

For some reason i read it has Homefront Remastered and thought to myself 'why the fuck would i want that Cryshit?'

LOL! I also read it as Homefront, when I saw the screenshot I was like "WTF is this?"

Man, so excited for this. Major Homeworld fan right here.

Though I have to admit, the color schemes on those ships are pretty over the top in retrospect. Hard to beat gunmetal grey these days. Heh.

The various faction colour schemes give Homeworld a lot of its character, as far as I'm concerned. The only game that even comes close is Freespace with the Shivan, Vasudan and Terran designs, and even those are basically black/red, sandstone, and gunmetal.

It was also a nice touch that Homeworld allowed you to pick your own primary/secondary colours in multiplayer.

This is the only correct response to a Homefront Remastered. But yes, we're talking about the late-90s space RTS masterpiece, not the poor man's Call of Duty-meets-Red Dawn shooter that helped sink THQ (and Crytek UK!).

Lime

Just pre-ordered it on Amazon.co.uk

Homeworld is for me the best RTS games I have ever played. I wish Cataclysm got the same treatment, but beggars can't be choosers.

Dont mess this up Gearbox.

Can't wait to play through it once more. Homeworld 1 and 2 had really good campaigns.

What i dont like is, there is not gameplay footage, if they are releasing this in "February" maybe some short clip or something would do justice, screens are all fine and jazzy but, gimme something more!

Gearbox are playing this one really close to the chest for some reason. Like, the only news we ever seem to get nowadays comes out of PAX panels.

Lime

Gearbox are playing this one really close to the chest for some reason. Like, the only news we ever seem to get nowadays comes out of PAX panels.

I guess they are withholding their PR campaign until closer to release to drum up the hype for those young 'uns who haven't heard about the game before.

Tiktaalik

I wonder if they're going to make any gameplay tweaks? It was a long time ago, but I remember the game seeming like it was horribly unbalanced?

Lime

According to the Amazon uk description we will get:

• updated high-res textures and models,
  • new graphical effects,
  • support for HD, UHD, and 4K resolutions.
  • Homeworld and Homeworld 2's original source audio to create a stunning new mix of effects and music.
  • Homeworld's original audio and video artists have also recreated cinematic scenes in beautiful high fidelity.
  • one centralized mode that will allow you to interact with other players like never before.
  • The old versions

The 4K resolutions and combined multiplayer thing is news to me. Seems like we are going to get a really pristine edition, judging from the information so far.

Also, here's some random fan art I just found created by Bisart:

Woorloog

Banned
Homeworld 2's audio...? Does this remaster include the second game as well? I always thought it was only the first game.

Mindlog

It's hard to contain my enthusiasm for a product aimed so directly at me. Those screens are magnificent. Please be good great fantastic Homeworld. Equally excited to get a peek at what Blackbird has been up to.

Maulik

Do you think they will support the mod commmunity?

Also any details as to how the mp will be handled? Steam support?

Lime

Do you think they will support the mod commmunity?

No word yet, but hopefully. I wonder how many changes they are going to do to the engine.

Also any details as to how the mp will be handled? Steam support?

According to the Amazon product description:

On top of that, multiplayer for both games has been combined into one centralized mode that will allow you to interact with other players like never before.

Probably Steam integration :)

epmode

Not a fan of the depth of field. Here's hoping it's just for the promo shots since it would actually affect gameplay*.

DoF in general is annoying unless it's part of a cutscene. Why should the game decide where I should be looking during gameplay?

*You can still issue orders in closeup views like that. Blurring out the enemy ships in the distance is a bad idea

Lime

If they actually implement DoF, I definitely assume it will be toggeable. And if worst come to worst, mods or edits could surely fix it.

I hope they fix the draw distance though.

Top Bottom