• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX uninvites Colin Moriarty (PAX refuses refunds, Colin to refund 20 people out of own pocket)

Not known why PAX decided to pull Colin Moriarty, Chris Ray Gun, and their Sacred Symbol booth, I'm getting the feeling that it could possibly a group effort to deplatform Colin for having wrong think

Also, some nutcases were already planning to do harm at the convention anyways

Latty

Neo Member
i don't mind ray gun not being there because he sucks. unfunny, brings nothing to the podcast. Only there so Colin doesn't speak to himself.

Colin being booted fucking sucks.

dyergram

I feel like it may be due to concerns over people thowing stuff at him based on that tweet. I still don’t really understand why he’s so hated.

Ailike

The whole thing is clearly politically motivated and just a nasty and unfair way to treat someone, he should get a lawyer on it tbh. The only way these people learn is through financial consequence.
I'm fine withthe first part of what you say except the lawyer part. You can't sue someone because you think they were mean to you. Private enterprise, free choice, etc etc.

The whole thing is clearly politically motivated and just a nasty and unfair way to treat someone, he should get a lawyer on it tbh. The only way these people learn is through financial consequence.
Not sure if he'll do it, but I hope PAX does answer back

Winter John

I'd give the organisers the benefit of the doubt and assume they're trying to prevent people being hurt.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Colin, he's a good guy and is hated for no reason. The people who hate him are really nasty, vile people, and it's so funny considering they think they hate him because it makes them good people.

Definitely politically motivated, but I guarantee people in the industry who don't like him complained and that's why.

Winter John

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Colin, he's a good guy and is hated for no reason. The people who hate him are really nasty, vile people, and it's so funny considering they think they hate him because it makes them good people.

Definitely politically motivated, but I guarantee people in the industry who don't like him complained and that's why.

Definitely politically motivated and you guarantee industry people complained and that's why he was removed? So let's see. PAX invite this guy to go do a panel months ago, knowing what his political stances are, then decide at the last moment to remove him? You see how that makes no sense right? Unless he went on YouTube or Twitter in the last 24 hours and radically changed his views or did something controversial, then the idea that PAX have removed him because of his views or industry insiders complained doesn't stand up. What does make sense is the organisers saw that tweet encouraging people to attack him and decided it was best for his own safety and others that he didn't show up.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Definitely politically motivated and you guarantee industry people complained and that's why he was removed? So let's see. PAX invite this guy to go do a panel months ago, knowing what his political stances are, then decide at the last moment to remove him? You see how that makes no sense right? Unless he went on YouTube or Twitter in the last 24 hours and radically changed his views or did something controversial, then the idea that PAX have removed him because of his views or industry insiders complained doesn't stand up. What does make sense is the organisers saw that tweet encouraging people to attack him and decided it was best for his own safety and others that he didn't show up.

This type of stuff happens all the time. Someone gets invited to make some type of an appearance somewhere, event holders get heat for inviting said person because they aren't woke enough. Event holders cancel the appearance as some type of damage control and to cater to the outrage mob. I think it's likely why that has happened here. I'd pretty much come close to guaranteeing it. If they were worried about his safety, they would have contacted him personally and told him that, not just sent out an email with no explanation. Because he's still able to attend, and they'd still be responsible for his safety.

Last edited:
Fuck Pax/I'll packs the burner in the tummy pack/hit 'em up like Ike Turner then be runnin' back!

images

Last edited:

Winter John

This type of stuff happens all the time. Someone gets invited to make some type of an appearance somewhere, event holders get heat for inviting said person because they aren't woke enough. Event holders cancel the appearance as some type of damage control and to cater to the outrage mob. I think it's likely why that has happened here. I'd pretty much come close to guaranteeing it. If they were worried about his safety, they would have contacted him personally and told him that, not just sent out an email.

Right. So in your mind there's no connection at all between the threatening tweets and the organisers cancelling the panel. It's because Colin isn't woke enough and the organisers want to cater to an "outrage mob"? That's what you actually believe? And your able to guarantee all of this although you have absolutely zero knowledge of the situation?

"Because he's still able to attend, and they'd still be responsible for his safety."

That was a sneaky little edit you put in there, but no your little get out clause doesn't change anything because those are 2 entirely different situations.

Last edited:

Karak

Hmm. I find these kinds of things troublesome moreso even because the reasoning is usually never given. I mean I don't have esp so I am not going to guess why. However that leaves more mystery around something like this. Just a bad look all around. By both those who didn't decide upfront what they wanted, and anyone who randomly switched and decided they weren't going to allow it to continue. Hate this kind of crap.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Right. So in your mind there's no connection at all between the threatening tweets and the organisers cancelling the panel. It's because Colin isn't woke enough and the organisers want to cater to an "outrage mob"? That's what you actually believe? And your able to guarantee all of this although you have absolutely zero knowledge of the situation?

"Because he's still able to attend, and they'd still be responsible for his safety."

That was a sneaky little edit you put in there, but no your little get out clause doesn't change anything because those are 2 entirely different situations.

Like I said, if they cancelled to ensure his safety, he would have been told that is why. If they are concerned about someone's safety, they tell him that. If anything happened to him at their event, they would be potentially open to major legal damages.

They would have contacted him directly and told him we can't guarantee your safety at this panel, we had to cancel to ensure your safety.

It's far more likely they canceled for sociopolitical reasons. Not sure why you're so hung up on the safety thing.

Winter John

Like I said, if they cancelled to ensure his safety, he would have been told that is why. If they are concerned about someone's safety, they tell him that. If anything happened to him at their event, they would be potentially open to major legal damages.

They would have contacted him directly and told him we can't guarantee your safety at this panel, we had to cancel to ensure your safety.

It's far more likely they canceled for sociopolitical reasons. Not sure why you're so hung up on the safety thing.

You have no idea what they would do. You keep making these definitive statements about a situation which you know absolutely nothing about. You don't know what is likely or what is unlikely. You don't know how the organisers would communicate with Moriarty. You don't know what they would, have or will tell him. You know nothing about the situation.

I've made it very clear why I am "hung up" on the safety thing. I can't make it any simpler. You can continue to ignore that "safety thing" in favor of your sjw tin foil hattery if you like, but any reasonable person would look at Colin's history, then read the tweet encouraging people to attack him and come to the conclusion that he was removed for safety reasons.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You have no idea what they would do. You keep making these definitive statements about a situation which you know absolutely nothing about. You don't know what is likely or what is unlikely. You don't know how the organisers would communicate with Moriarty. You don't know what they would, have or will tell him. You know nothing about the situation.

I've made it very clear why I am "hung up" on the safety thing. I can't make it any simpler. You can continue to ignore that "safety thing" in favor of your sjw tin foil hattery if you like, but any reasonable person would look at Colin's history, then read the tweet encouraging people to attack him and come to the conclusion that he was removed for safety reasons.

I'm giving my opinion about the reasons I think this happened, and for some odd reason you are getting super defensive and argumentative about it.

I explained to you why I feel it is unlikely that was the reason. Like I said, if there are any safety concerns, those people are told. This is always the case, they are obligated to tell someone if they believe there is going to be a safety issue or they could be sued.

PAX West is not going to cancel Colin's panel because some random dude put a milkshake tweet on, that seems way over the top even in today's climate. Not to mention it wouldn't have went down that fast.

Keihart

USA is looking weirder everyday, can't say that the rest of the world is free of it's insanity tho, since social media is so rampant today, whatever NA pushes gets shoved in some mesure in the rest of the world. Fan conventions are weird too, there could be no event and only an excuse to get people together and things might even be better maybe.

Sucks for Colin and company, but the podcast seems successful regardless of tweets like the ones on the OP and i doubt that not having a stand in PAX will make them any less successful.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't follow Colin M, but watching some of his interviews and studio talk, sometimes he asks burnful questions.

Making the game dev community is trying blacklist him.

Anyone follow him closely? Has he grilled some devs making them look bad lately?

Last edited:
Weird turn of events. Guess I’ll have to tune in to SS this week, get Colin’s take on the supposed drama.

Bizarre that the explanation is basically “Sorry, deal with it.” But you want to galvanize his niche, go right ahead I guess.

joe_zazen

I'm fine withthe first part of what you say except the lawyer part. You can't sue someone because you think they were mean to you. Private enterprise, free choice, etc etc.

Sure you can. You’ll notice they are very careful not to deny him entry into the public space, just not one iota more. They know that if they did bar him, he’d win. You can’t just bar people from public spaces without specific reasons.

Funny thing is, the guy has never said anything truly controversial, and the pax people are the ones who come off looking like the fascists.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
USA is looking weirder everyday, can't say that the rest of the world is free of it's insanity tho, since social media is so rampant today, whatever NA pushes gets shoved in some mesure in the rest of the world. Fan conventions are weird too, there could be no event and only an excuse to get people together and things might even be better maybe.

Sucks for Colin and company, but the podcast seems successful regardless of tweets like the ones on the OP and i doubt that not having a stand in PAX will make them any less successful.

US are still leagues behind a lot of Western Europe countries when it comes to these antics.

Not just socially, but most definitely laws and policy.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do you think that is? The constitution?

That is one part of it.

Some countries legit have a “task force” set up for police to visit and arrest you over insulting or mean tweets that are not “PC”.

The police even tweet about it warning the good citizens.

Last edited:

Winter John

I'm giving my opinion about the reasons I think this happened, and for some odd reason you are getting super defensive and argumentative about it.

I explained to you why I feel it is unlikely that was the reason. Like I said, if there are any safety concerns, those people are told. This is always the case, they are obligated to tell someone if they believe there is going to be a safety issue or they could be sued.

PAX West is not going to cancel Colin's panel because some random dude put a milkshake tweet on, that seems way over the top even in today's climate. Not to mention it wouldn't have went down that fast.

"Definitely politically motivated, but I guarantee people in the industry who don't like him complained and that's why."

Those are declarations, not opinions.

I asked you how you were so certain and laid out my reasons for why I believe it to be a safety issue. Nothing "super defensive" about that.

I asked you if saw any any connection betweent the threatening tweet and the cancellation. You replied with a bunch of stuff about woke mobs.

I asked you again if you couldn't see any connection between the cancellation and the incitement of violence and you ignored that in favor of telling me what the organisers would do, despite the fact you have no idea what they would, or will do.

I explained my reasoning again as to why I am "hung up on the safety thing", Why you think that's "super defensive" I don't know. I'm just trying to understand your mindset is all. It's interesting to me that someone who knows absolutely nothing about this situation can present such declarative statements like -

"Definitely politically motivated but I guarantee industry people complained and that's why he was removed."

Mostly though I just wanted to see if at any point you could begin to admit that there's a possibility that maybe Colin's panel wasn't cancelled because of his widely known and widely publicised political views which have remained constant over the last few years; but because some nutjob on twitter was inciting violence at the event.

Ailike

Sure you can. You’ll notice they are very careful not to deny him entry into the public space, just not one iota more. They know that if they did bar him, he’d win. You can’t just bar people from public spaces without specific reasons.

Funny thing is, the guy has never said anything truly controversial, and the pax people are the ones who come off looking like the fascists.
Ooooh. You just had to go and add that word. Welp, this topics done.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
"Definitely politically motivated, but I guarantee people in the industry who don't like him complained and that's why."

Those are declarations, not opinions.

I asked you how you were so certain and laid out my reasons for why I believe it to be a safety issue. Nothing "super defensive" about that.

I asked you if saw any any connection betweent the threatening tweet and the cancellation. You replied with a bunch of stuff about woke mobs.

I asked you again if you couldn't see any connection between the cancellation and the incitement of violence and you ignored that in favor of telling me what the organisers would do, despite the fact you have no idea what they would, or will do.

I explained my reasoning again as to why I am "hung up on the safety thing", Why you think that's "super defensive" I don't know. I'm just trying to understand your mindset is all. It's interesting to me that someone who knows absolutely nothing about this situation can present such declarative statements like -

"Definitely politically motivated but I guarantee industry people complained and that's why he was removed."

Mostly though I just wanted to see if at any point you could begin to admit that there's a possibility that maybe Colin's panel wasn't cancelled because of his widely known and widely publicised political views which have remained constant over the last few years; but because some nutjob on twitter was inciting violence at the event.

A declaration is an opinion. Unless I had inside knowledge, which I do not, they are still opinions. I didn't claim to have sources otherwise, which just makes them strong opinions. And you know this too.

Is it possible that was the reason? I guess, but I find it incredibly unlikely. I stated why multiple times. If I were a betting man, I'd bet everything I had that some random no-name's tweet had anything to do with it and that quickly. His tweet may have even come after Colin got the email. But even if not, I doubt within a couple hours a major decision like that would have been made and an email sent. It likely wouldn't have happened until the following day at the earliest.

decisions

Wow this is super disappointing to see.

Love the podcast and hope that someday this industry can stop being dominated by a bunch of lunatics.

Top Bottom