• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX uninvites Colin Moriarty (PAX refuses refunds, Colin to refund 20 people out of own pocket)

SpiceRacz

Definitely politically motivated and you guarantee industry people complained and that's why he was removed? So let's see. PAX invite this guy to go do a panel months ago, knowing what his political stances are, then decide at the last moment to remove him? You see how that makes no sense right? Unless he went on YouTube or Twitter in the last 24 hours and radically changed his views or did something controversial, then the idea that PAX have removed him because of his views or industry insiders complained doesn't stand up. What does make sense is the organisers saw that tweet encouraging people to attack him and decided it was best for his own safety and others that he didn't show up.

If PAX were to remove them without explanation, do you think that would have more to do with his safety or due to people in the industry whining about it? If it was for his safety, why wouldn't they bring this to their attention or even offer them passes, potentially putting them in danger? Use your fucking brain.

bosnianpie

Can someone explain why this man is considered controversial enough to have his panel removed? I'm genuinely curious. Is there any post, tweet, video, pod or anything else that clearly disqualifies him?

I've listened hundreds of hours of his podcasts, seen many videos, followed him on Twitter for a long time and can't for the love of God understand why some people are attacking him. He has firm political opinions about many issues but nothing I would consider out of line. Seriously, what's wrong with people? They're so full of hate.

Oh and PAX organizers, shame on you for bending over. Cowards.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can someone explain why this man is considered controversial enough to have his panel removed? I'm genuinely curious. Is there any post, tweet, video, pod or anything else that clearly disqualifies him?

I've listened hundreds of hours of his podcasts, seen many videos, followed him on Twitter for a long time and can't for the love of God understand why some people are attacking him. He has firm political opinions about many issues but nothing I would consider out of line. Seriously, what's wrong with people? They're so full of hate.

Yeah. but he acknowledges the grey areas and that's a no no in the fascist's handbook. You can't be balanced. Completely hate 'them' or you're out.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

He made a peace and quiet joke when his girlfriend was out for the day.

None of the women in his life were offended, but the internet took upon themselves to get offended on their behalf.

Last edited:

Bankai

Can someone explain WHY Colin is isn't welcome @PAX? I genuinely don't understand it. He has a great & relevant gaming podcast, isn't that all that matters?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'd give the organisers the benefit of the doubt and assume they're trying to prevent people being hurt.
Why on earth would you give an organization the benefit of the doubt? They're not going to give you the benefit of the doubt, especially when deciding to kick you out due to nebulous scheduling concerns.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can someone explain WHY Colin is isn't welcome @PAX? I genuinely don't understand it. He has a great & relevant gaming podcast, isn't that all that matters?

They removed him because he's a "controversial" figure in gaming journalism aka he's one of the only right-wing ones. I'd wager he knows more about politics and political history than the rest of that show floor combined. I don't even listen to him any more but he's been thrown under the bus again and again and again for his beliefs. The funniest part is he didn't even fucking vote for Trump, it's just that every internet retard slacktivist assumes right-wing = nazi = orange man.

Luckily, he's not the type to take this lying down. He and some of his listeners have already spent money on a panel PAX promised them.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've been listening to Sacred Symbols after I saw a recommendation on here.
I had no idea Colin was some sort of controversial character and had to just try and look up why he's viewed as controversial.

Is this bullshit really over a mild inoffensive tweet or is there more to it?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I had no idea Colin was some sort of controversial character and had to just try and look up why he's viewed as controversial.

Basically the extreme left loonies in the industry had been waiting for any excuse to dogpile Moriarty for years, and that was it. The most inoffensive lame dad joke ever. He used to be part of a podcast team of 4 guys and after the Tweet went up and people starting REEing, his "friend" on the team issued an apology on Colin's behalf and completely threw him under the bus. I think Colin had been thinking about leaving the team already but that was the push he needed. He's been nothing but polite, honest and sincere about everything and has not once tried to stir up drama.

He's went on to start his own Patreon and several series of podcasts and is now way more successful on his own than he was as part of Kinda Funny.

He's been on Rogan if you want a better understanding of the situation and just an interesting chat with a smart and pretty interesting person. Whether or not you agree with his opinions on politics (I sort of do) or gaming (I don't often), he's an undeniably clued-up guy.

Saruhashi

Banned
He made a peace and quiet joke when his girlfriend was out for the day.

None of the women in his life were offended, but the internet took upon themselves to get offended on their behalf.

The gaming industry and community is FUCKED when you can't make a joke like this because people will flip out and hound you for YEARS afterwards.

There is no goddamn way that this "de-platforming" hasn't been pushed by people either within the development sphere or within the "journalism" sphere.

I just don't think PAX would be fine with them having a panel and then later on decide "actually... no" without someone going to them behind the scenes and applying some pressure.

Fucking stinks.

Also this shit:

There is absolutely NO WAY this would be tolerated by the mainstream gaming media if some "gamer" were to suggest that one of their people be milkshaked at E3 or something like that. Not a fucking chance in hell that would be tolerated.

Shit, here is Kotaku whining because people had a go at one of Wolfenstein's developers over microtransactions.

"Some people became so angry about microtransactions in the new game that they harassed one of its lead level designers, Mitja Roskaric, on Twitter, causing him to have to lock his account".

No evidence by the way. Gamers are so awful though am I right?

Someone encourages people to harass and borderline assault a gaming critic/commentator/youtuber at a convention and these fuckers are dead silent.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The gaming industry and community is FUCKED when you can't make a joke like this because people will flip out and hound you for YEARS afterwards.

There is no goddamn way that this "de-platforming" hasn't been pushed by people either within the development sphere or within the "journalism" sphere.

I just don't think PAX would be fine with them having a panel and then later on decide "actually... no" without someone going to them behind the scenes and applying some pressure.

Fucking stinks.

Also this shit:

There is absolutely NO WAY this would be tolerated by the mainstream gaming media if some "gamer" were to suggest that one of their people be milkshaked at E3 or something like that. Not a fucking chance in hell that would be tolerated.

Shit, here is Kotaku whining because people had a go at one of Wolfenstein's developers over microtransactions.

"Some people became so angry about microtransactions in the new game that they harassed one of its lead level designers, Mitja Roskaric, on Twitter, causing him to have to lock his account".

No evidence by the way. Gamers are so awful though am I right?

Someone encourages people to harass and borderline assault a gaming critic/commentator/youtuber at a convention and these fuckers are dead silent.

My favorite part is "when his back is turned". Clearly a case of rice dick and raisin balls.

The brave little cunt blocked me immediately when I responded to that tweet.

Sad part is, he seems to be a father. Great example he's setting.

Last edited:
Definitely politically motivated and you guarantee industry people complained and that's why he was removed? So let's see. PAX invite this guy to go do a panel months ago, knowing what his political stances are, then decide at the last moment to remove him? You see how that makes no sense right? Unless he went on YouTube or Twitter in the last 24 hours and radically changed his views or did something controversial, then the idea that PAX have removed him because of his views or industry insiders complained doesn't stand up. What does make sense is the organisers saw that tweet encouraging people to attack him and decided it was best for his own safety and others that he didn't show up.

Nonsense. People could have not complained loud enough just before he was pulled, which makes perfect sense. It happens all the time. Nobody was concerned for his safety over that stupid tweet.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I dont understand this decision

Any reason behind this cancelation?

Colin Moriarty is a pretty big name among Playstation fans

Huge loss for PAX

AV

Cool, so all I have to do is put out a few Tweets about milkshaking PAX panelists and PAX will cancel them completely? Great! I'm sure that'll work.

Saruhashi

Banned
My favorite part is "when his back is turned". Clearly a case of rice dick and raisin balls.

Yeah, it's just sad.

Thing is what happens if some impressionable idiot reads that and does decide to milkshake someone? Could they be arrested over that?
Just seems to me like having an assault charge could fuck up your life over something so completely pointless.

Pretty sure if I went to a convention and threw a milkshake over someone because "he said a bad joke 2 years ago about feminism" then my family would be absolutely furious with me and that would be compounded if such behavior cost us financially or cost me my job.

It's like these dumbfucks don't consider that when they post these things.

One of the dudes who threw a milkshake at Farage during the recent EU elections pleaded guilty to common assault and criminal damage.
12 month community order. 150 hours of unpaid work. 350 pound fine.

As much as that guy is an absolute cunt, it's not cool that someone can potentially fuck up their life because some assholes on the internet leave them thinking that throwing a milkshake at some guy is consequence free.

Then, yes, there is the total cowardice of "when his back is turned".
Jesus if you have THAT much of a problem with the guy then just go and confront him yourself.

To think that ALL of this is over the fact that he once made a joke about women's day or the women's march or some other bullshit.
A fucking joke!

Airbus Jr

Banned
The whole thing is clearly politically motivated and just a nasty and unfair way to treat someone, he should get a lawyer on it tbh. The only way these people learn is through financial consequence.

So let me get this straight...

So aparently Colin is a Republican voters?

And that has something to do with this decision?

So in attempt to embarrased him they decided to kick him out of the show...thinking that it will make them look good on public?

Jesus are they re going to do this to anyone who voted republics/ trump in 2016?

Because about half american voted for him...thats quite alot of people...

I dont even like trump but i find this act as vile and disgusting..

I always respect Colin Moriarty...

Hes much...smarter...inteligent...knowledegable... than anyone at those kinda funny show...

If theres anyone.....any podcast...who i imediately comes to mind/associates when it comes to playstation that will be colin moriarty...

Shit like this are the reason why people shouldnt mix gaming with politics

Huge lost for PAX, and if its true that this disgusting act was done by those leftist group il boycot this pathetic garbage show

Last edited:
I'm hoping they back in touch soon, as I'm interested in hearing the reason they give. I really hope it's not sure to people of a specific political leaning shutting down those they don't agree with.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm hoping they back in touch soon, as I'm interested in hearing the reason they give. I really hope it's not sure to people of a specific political leaning shutting down those they don't agree with.
Hitler was good at doing this xD

how long will it take for people to catch up <3

JimiNutz

Banned
Basically the extreme left loonies in the industry had been waiting for any excuse to dogpile Moriarty for years, and that was it. The most inoffensive lame dad joke ever. He used to be part of a podcast team of 4 guys and after the Tweet went up and people starting REEing, his "friend" on the team issued an apology on Colin's behalf and completely threw him under the bus. I think Colin had been thinking about leaving the team already but that was the push he needed. He's been nothing but polite, honest and sincere about everything and has not once tried to stir up drama.

He's went on to start his own Patreon and several series of podcasts and is now way more successful on his own than he was as part of Kinda Funny.

He's been on Rogan if you want a better understanding of the situation and just an interesting chat with a smart and pretty interesting person. Whether or not you agree with his opinions on politics (I sort of do) or gaming (I don't often), he's an undeniably clued-up guy.

That is absolute fucking madness.
A minor Dad joke is justification for attempting to ruin someone's career?

At least he has managed to find success on his own.

DonF

Lol so weak from PAX and that coward literally asking for people to attack someone from the back.

Spineless fucks. I bet they preach about dialogue and respect, yet censor and incite violence against someone that has a different opinion.

DonF

In his bio he states his preferred pronoun...thats all I needed to hear. (Spoiler: it's he/him)

Shai-Tan

Banned

The political makeup of games journalists is likely more progressive than journalists in general and the internet has consolidated media into a few progressive enclaves so it's not surprising to see purity policing. Even more so when the industry encourages spending a lot of time on social media which disproportionately attracts and encourages engagement from people with more extreme views. Games also ask very little of players so it's not surprising that game journalism attracts people who aren't particularly thoughtful and are easily swayed by fashionable idiocy on the internet.

In the few times I listened to him Colin did say some things libertarians say that seemed a bit cringy to me but it's not out of line with anything one would read on reason.com. But the types of people who are bothered by what he says spend a lot of time in ideological bubbles that denigrate people like him.

As far as I know there was no reason given for the cancellation of his panel so that's all speculation

angelic

Banned
That is absolute fucking madness.
A minor Dad joke is justification for attempting to ruin someone's career?

At least he has managed to find success on his own.

The best thing is that his numbers are higher. And I dont say that as an uneducated fan, I used to listen to Kinda Funny. I like Tim Gettys. I like Greg Miller sometimes. I absolutely don't like Andrea Renee. But that crew get way fewer views, have to shill for corp gigs like crazy, and their shows are 100 mile an hour verbal assaults on the ears, borderline unlistenable.

Happy to see Colin doing well..and there's more chance of Andrea Rene having success without her looks than Greg getting on the Joe Rogan Experience.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
JSZzWwY.jpg

Dabaus

Banned
I find it ironic Colin goes out of his way to make sure everyone understands that he's a libertarian and that hes conservative fiscally but socially liberal and its not enough to appease these lunatics. I hope this is a wake up call to him and other libertarians that even kind of agreeing with the left on some things isnt enough. Its all or nothing with them. Voting Libertarian hurts the republican who would be the only realistic shot of beating the democrat. Its a total spoiler come election season. Total waste of an ideology.

Colin is pretty tame, his "right wing" views are as run of the mill as they come (libertarian type). I don't even see how people can assign a bad label to him, other than vehemently disagreeing with the idea of shrinking the government out of relevance.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Moral of the story, don't be friends with fake ass cucklechuck frauds that will collapse like a wet paper bag and virtue signal for peasant change, instead of standing by their supposed long term friend and business partner. No integrity.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
He's right wing, ie correct on a lot of subjects.

Fuck pax, tin pot little indie show gets ideas above it's station. Once again, the tolerant left feel the need to censor.

He’s not even really right wing, not that it should matter. He has many left leaning beliefs.

People don’t like him because of a few random tweets he made, that were lukewarm on the take scale at best and psychopaths think that makes him a horrible human being(because why wouldn’t you judge a person based on a few tweets????) and that’s basically it.

It’s so insane.

And then you have these people on social media looking for woke points trying to one up the next by showing everyone how much they hate Colin.

That dude who sent that milkshake thing about Colin also hates Joe Rogan. Not surprising. These people hate everybody. I’ll tell you, you better be one hell of an amazing human being to hate that many people. Like mother Theresa should bow down to you if youre that great. Bunch of sanctimonious losers.

Bryank75

Banned
So let me get this straight...

So aparently Colin is a Republican voters?

And that has something to do with this decision?

So in attempt to embarrased him they decided to kick him out of the show...thinking that it will make them look good on public?

Jesus are they re going to do this to anyone who voted republics/ trump in 2016?

Because about half american voted for him...thats quite alot of people...

I dont even like trump but i find this act as vile and disgusting..

I always respect Colin Moriarty...

Hes much...smarter...inteligent...knowledegable... than anyone at those kinda funny show...

If theres anyone.....any podcast...who i imediately comes to mind/associates when it comes to playstation that will be colin

Shit like this are the reason why people shouldnt mix gaming with politics

Huge lost for PAX, and if its true that this disgusting act was done by those leftist group il boycot this pathetic garbage show
Almost, he didn’t even vote trump. He voted for a third party guy. Can’t remember his name.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He’s not even really right wing, not that it should matter. He has many left leaning beliefs.

People don’t like him because of a few random tweets he made, that were lukewarm on the take scale at best and psychopaths think that makes him a horrible human being(because why wouldn’t you judge a person based on a few tweets????) and that’s basically it.

It’s so insane.

And then you have these people on social media looking for woke points trying to one up the next by showing everyone how much they hate Colin.

That dude who sent that milkshake thing about Colin also hates Joe Rogan. Not surprising. These people hate everybody. I’ll tell you, you better be one hell of an amazing human being to hate that many people. Like mother Theresa should bow down to you if youre that great. Bunch of sanctimonious losers.

He also uses the Gadsden flag on his Twitter for some time with "notaxation" as his @ and is a 1A proponent, so that automatically makes him Hitler from all the spoonfed larpers who don't know shit about it's history, military use, nor the importance of the BoR's in our country's history, etc..

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
He also uses the Gadsden flag on his Twitter for some time with "notaxation" as his @ and is a 1A proponent, so that automatically makes him Hitler from all the spoonfed larpers who don't know shit about it's history, military use, nor the importance of the BoR's in our country's history, etc..

Yeah, the thing about those people is they generally aren’t very bright and they’re extremely naive. They will just believe what others tell them and jump into these tribes because they’re likely lonely and want to feel important.

These people are not good and don’t realize that none of what they are doing is making society any better. What are they accomplishing by trashing and trying to ruin Colin’s life except grandstanding?

Top Bottom