• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday/Payday 2 sell over 9 million copies combined, Payday 2 DLC over 8 million

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So apparently this was announced a few months ago, but I never saw it until the two more years of DLC announcement and judging by a thread search, no one else did either.

A year ago we proudly announced that we had sold SEK 1.58 million units of PAYDAY 2, providing a small taste of the new digital strategy that we now have realized and capitalize on. Today, with even more pride, we announce that PAYDAY: The Heist and PAYDAY 2 together have sold more than 9 million units per November 1(st) 2014. We have also sold more than 8 million paid DLC packages since PAYDAY 2 was released.
Source: https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...ort-July-1st-September-30th-2014.html?print=1

Great series and great concept. Totally deserved ! :D
Speaking of which... who do I have to beg for a Reservoir Dogs DLC ? :'(

derExperte

It kinda looked like P2 was dying after a few months. Say what you will about their DLC policies but they turned that ship around.

KarmaCow

I dunno how much it factors into it but they did give away Payday 1 for free for one day on Steam last year, similar to what Valve did with Portal and L4D2.

I dunno how much it factors into it but they did give away Payday 1 for free for one day on Steam last year, similar to what Valve did with Portal and L4D2.

Didn't they give both away on ps plus?

So really am surprised at this. Good for them though.

NotLiquid

I had no idea Payday was that big.

I guess making an entire convention for it wasn't misguided after all.

I've owned this since release but haven't played it much at all. None of my friends are into it or they hate it because of the amount of "manufactured hype" they do with all the DLC and marketing stuff. I really want to play it, should do that soon.

I think it's partially due to the amount of longterm support they have/had. In all honesty I wish more games would use the same time frame work on DLC releases, but maybe not every game needs it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It kinda looked like P2 was dying after a few months. Say what you will about their DLC policies but they turned that ship around.

I feel the biggest win is that the DLC is actually notably better than the base game, especially the recent content.

If they had just shipped out more-of-the-same and not made all the improvements to the fundamental game mechanics as well, this wouldn't have gone anywhere near as far.

FranXico

Pay Day, indeed.

Congrats to the dev team and the publisher for planning the scope and release of both games in a suitable manner. That is how quality games are delivered, and consumers will respond positively.

KarmaCow

The weird thing is that Payday 2 was hovering around 14k total players daily, so that 9 million seems insane. Right now it's 40k+ but there was also a week long event with daily updates of new content along with a 100% exp boost, so I dunno what it will settle down to after that is gone.

Well it does say "sold" so unless they're counting a zero dollar transaction as a sale, it would suggest not.

Fair enough, I just find it surprising.

Plasma

Banned
I've bought every dlc pack apart from the completely overkill one, dread to think how much i've spent on this game. Still though I enjoy it a lot and I'm glad they're still putting out new content for it.

Tapejara

Damn, I knew the series was popular, but I wasn't expecting 9 million+ sales. Congrats to Overkill/Starbreeze. I'm curious if the upcoming Crimewave Edition will make a large contribution to sales, or if the majority of the game's popularity will remain on PC.

deleted

Amazing success for an indie studio!

This game was way hard - I hope when they do a Payday 3, they take a good long look at some gameplay and Stealth mechanics. Maybe even offer a 3rd person view for a stealthy approach.

I think me and a few friends never managed to finish a longer mission on a harder difficulty without being seen - and most of the time I had the feeling it was the mechanics working against me and not false planning or execution.

What DLC is actually worth playing and what does it mix up?

Midas

It is. This is news no one apparently noticed since it was buried in a Starbreeze investor report.

I only noticed it while seeing the 24 more months of DLC information.

Ah! I was hoping it was something that would increase their stock value. :)

A remake of what? They will probably just make a 3rd game. They also are working on other games and with all the DLC it's getting now.

EDIT: Oh you mean on PS4 and XB1, I don't see this happening soon.

On ps4 and Xbox one yeah. Its on sale too for just above $35 if you preorder now.

I'm thinking about it, but we got screwed last gen and want to make sure its still going to be supported.

Thanks. I never played it on Ps3, dat pad man. But i'll buy a remake. I've heard good things

Yeah awesome!

It was already profitable before PD2 launched because of all the steam pre-orders.
Game is HUGE, has a huge community and I have daily steam friends who play it all the time.

I think it's partially due to the amount of longterm support they have/had. In all honesty I wish more games would use the same time frame work on DLC releases, but maybe not every game needs it.

Seriously? The game just introduced its next DLC pack two weeks after its last one shipped. At one point they gated future updates to the game behind a certain amount of people preordering their new DLC, including a $20 that only contained four masks in case you wanted to "donate" to Overkill. They also just introduced a new enemy to the game whose weaknesses (HE rounds, sniper rifles, grenades, and rocket launchers) are all only available as DLC.

If EA or Ubisoft were doing the things Overkill does with their DLC, they'd be absolutely CRUCIFIED for it. But Overkill somehow gets a pass because they're "indie." But they're not indie, and they haven't been for a long time now. Certainly not when they signed a deal with a publisher for Payday 2, not when they announced a game based off of one of the biggest television IPs of all time, and not when they introduced an advertisement for a major motion picture in their game.

Akronis

Seriously? The game just introduced its next DLC pack two weeks after its last one shipped. At one point they gated future updates to the game behind a certain amount of people preordering their new DLC, including a $20 that only contained four masks in case you wanted to "donate" to Overkill. They also just introduced a new enemy to the game whose weaknesses (HE rounds, sniper rifles, grenades, and rocket launchers) are all only available as DLC.

If EA or Ubisoft were doing the things Overkill does with their DLC, they'd be absolutely CRUCIFIED for it. But Overkill somehow gets a pass because they're "indie." But they're not indie, and they haven't been for a long time now. Certainly not when they signed a deal with a publisher for Payday 2, not when they announced a game based off of one of the biggest television IPs of all time, and not when they introduced an advertisement for a major motion picture in their game.

Trust me, they are beginning to get flak for it. Look at any of the Steam news announcements and the subreddit when new DLC comes out.

They still haven't fixed core issues with the game that have existed since the beta. I love the game, but they are holding themselves back with their super dated Diesel engine.

Payday 2 is certainly booming here.
It's getting bigger, perhaps as big as CSGO community. It's either eople play CSGO for competitive/serious session, or play Payday 2 for fun and all.

I've really enjoyed my time with Payday 2 and the series' growth is thanks in no small part to the support Overkill has put behind it. You are almost guaranteed new content every 3-4 weeks at this point and while a lot of it is not free, it is moderately priced and offered piecemeal so you only have to purchase what you really want. I've probably put over 500 hours into Payday 2 and I don't expect to stop anytime soon.

Look what happens when you support your game with frequent updates as well as free AND paid DLCs that are substantial. Their Walking Dead game is going to be absolutely huge.

They still haven't fixed core issues with the game that have existed since the beta. I love the game, but they are holding themselves back with their super dated Diesel engine.

They hadn't even finished making the set of rewards from their previous "crowd funding" effort when they introduced their "pre order our new DLC or we won't update the game" initiative, by the way.

I just don't understand how people can see Overkill as "generous" and "supporting the game" at all. Of course they're "supporting" it when they can still make money out of it, but you know that the second endless DLC releases stop making money, they're out the door.

Valve releasing free content for TF2 for two years (before eventually introducing microtransactions) was generous. A developer continuing to issue balance tweaks after release despite not releasing any DLC is "support." Releasing $64 of DLC in three months is not "generous" or "support," and certainly not so when the items in the base game remain terrible while you continue to put out the weapons that are actually decent in DLC releases. It's disgusting.

KarmaCow

Damn, I knew the series was popular, but I wasn't expecting 9 million+ sales. Congrats to Overkill/Starbreeze. I'm curious if the upcoming Crimewave Edition will make a large contribution to sales, or if the majority of the game's popularity will remain on PC.

It depends on how committed they are to keeping it up to date. The stuff announced for the PS4/XBO version is already out of date and missing significant DLC.

Amazing success for an indie studio!

This game was way hard - I hope when they do a Payday 3, they take a good long look at some gameplay and Stealth mechanics. Maybe even offer a 3rd person view for a stealthy approach.

I think me and a few friends never managed to finish a longer mission on a harder difficulty without being seen - and most of the time I had the feeling it was the mechanics working against me and not false planning or execution.

What DLC is actually worth playing and what does it mix up?

Most of the DLC are weapon packs and generally have at least one worthwhile thing in them. I'd really recommend all of it, but wait for a sale. The heists can be played without actually owning it, you just need to join someone's lobby who owns the heist DLC. Characters packs are kinda meh, the skills are a novelty so again I'd wait for a sale.

And yea your problem with the stealth might be lag related. Even a little bit can cause the guards to path weirdly, sometimes walking through walls. It's still pretty limited in what you can do to affect the situation, so it does amount to a lot of waiting.

The rapid release and decline in quality of the DLC is troubling (ie. Armoured Transport vs The Diamond) but you're also overstating it. The Hype Train event was unlocking content so it would be free for everyone. You didn't need to buy anything to get that, I didn't buy the Completely Overkill pack because it was a shitty deal. The new enemy is not made for the explosive weapons, those are only good for the initial low health shield, after that standard rifles are by the best weapon for taking out the bulk of its health. It just needs a better indicator of how much damage you're doing to it outside of relying on something like HoxHUD.

Trust me, they are beginning to get flak for it. Look at any of the Steam news announcements and the subreddit when new DLC comes out.

I wouldn't count on them fixing what is most likely deeply nested problems with them making them game with that engine. I mean the game lies to you in the stat screen because the way the game calculates those values is completely borked.

Kas

Good for them. I love playing Payday 2 with a couple of friends everyday and we all love it. Except for those that try the fugitive tree. Some of the stuff there is borked.

KDR_11k

They also just introduced a new enemy to the game whose weaknesses (HE rounds, sniper rifles, grenades, and rocket launchers) are all only available as DLC.

Sniper rifles and the rocket launcher hit the per-shot damage cap on the turret so they are ineffective, HE and frag are apparently recommended but still damage capped. Rapid fire seems to work much better. Also you can hack it with the Ghost's jammer device which is definitely in the base game.

Valkrai

Sniper rifles and the rocket launcher hit the per-shot damage cap on the turret so they are ineffective, HE and frag are apparently recommended but still damage capped. Rapid fire seems to work much better. Also you can hack it with the Ghost's jammer device which is definitely in the base game.

Even then the turret isn't really that much of an issue outside of Deathwish. Dodge builds can avoid it easily and it barely causes a dent to armored players.

Top Bottom