• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paying for content already on the disc, the EVIL side of the Xbox Live Marketplace

arne said:
have you started litigation? seriously. if you're so sure, then wasting your breath on folks that will only argue against you is a waste of time. just a thought.

that way you can just win the argument and they have nothing to debate against.

I'm a bit too involved in some other litigation at the moment (A case of assault with a deadly weapon caused by road rage; a woman intentionally hit me with her car while I was on my motorcycle).

KTallguy

Banned
I think it's sad that people are paying for a key to unlock content on a disc.

It'll just push the trend of eliminating cheat codes and any extra content that required skill to unlock.

Remember when you got really good at a game? So good that you were able to unlock some secret costumes or content that the developers put in there to reward players?

Well now that extra content has been replaced by "Achievements" and an arbitrary "Gamer Score".

Oh, and you still want that extra content? That'll be 5 dollars please.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
KTallguy said:
I think it's sad that people are paying for a key to unlock content on a disc.

It'll just push the trend of eliminating cheat codes and any extra content that required skill to unlock.

Remember when you got really good at a game? So good that you were able to unlock some secret costumes or content that the developers put in there to reward players?

Well now that extra content has been replaced by "Achievements" and an arbitrary "Gamer Score".

Oh, and you still want that extra content? That'll be 5 dollars please.

Thats it unfortunately. Games like ninja gaiden, mgs really made you feel like finishing it more than once because of the extra cheese you could get.

kiryogi

Banned
Microtransactions are evil! Yes! :proceeds to buy and download more stuff for idolm@ster: Bit in as jonnyram said, it's just like the arcade experience. Idolm@ster = <3

On the PSU note, you really don't have to pay for it. If it were still around a year later, itd be all unlocked and you wouldnt have paid a dime. But the release schedule works in a balancing way to keep interest in the game not to mention difficulty and accessiblity. I mean all the stuff could have been unlocked from the get go, but youd prob wouldnt be able to touch it for another few months due to stat or class requirements. Or monsters thatd absolutely kick your ass XD

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm interested in what's going to happen in our gaming software future. I wanted to originally say "scared", but I'll stick with "interested."

I'm interested because XBL Marketplace and this DLC that's already on disc has driven a specific point:

You do not own what is on that game disc that you paid money for at the store. You are leasing the content that they choose to make available to you.

You are not entitled to anything, really. And really, if you're able to start, play through an acceptable length of gameplay, and see an ending, then the developers have accomplished what they set forth to do: make an enjoyable gameplay experience.

Let me give you guys a more direct, acceptable analogy.

I make the next version of Grand Theft Auto. Its as huge as San Andreas, with all the graphical bells and whistles, the ability to put in your own music, and so on. You're able to unlock new costumes for your character, and after you beat the game, you can start the game over with all of your previous stats, and there's now new missions, cars, and objectives available. There's even an arena where your character can do a demolition derby or race against other folks online.

The reviews are in. "The Best GTA Yet." "So Much To Do." "Frothing Demand For This Game Increases." Well hell! Time to get!

Now, a month goes by, and I post up on marketplace "New City with missions available." The new city promises a couple more unlockable things, with some new challenges. Its about 10 bucks more. Cool! You pay, and procede to download... a 108k key.

The new area shows up on your map. It wasn't there previously, and there was no way of traveling there otherwise before the key. But its there now, and damn! Its pretty damn cool. You also just got 2 new cars, a costume, and a new home out of this. Sweet!

A couple weeks later there's new missions available in that town. Aliens have abducted most of the townsfolk, and now you can go find out what the hell is going on. You can now also unlock the Death Ray, a flying saucer, a teleportation tool that will beam you to any of the other homes that you own, and it also unlocks another Police Star. If it goes past 6 Stars, Men in Black come after you. You don't want Men in Black after you.

its about 8 bucks, and another 108k.

Other paid unlockables follow. Other costumes. New cars. A co-op option (play as an alien!). All were on the disc already.

But the core game was there. You never felt that you were missing anything, because none of the unlocked features were shown from the start. You played through the game. You enjoyed it. Now there's more stuff to do! And the game's "life" extend because of this.

I see this as being the future of game software. If you don't want it, that's fine! You still get a very full game. But there is going to be content that is available that will extend that particular game. Stuff that you will see fellow friends and forumers enjoying, or griping about. Stuff that you could also experience...

...for a fee.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
mr jones said:
I'm interested in what's going to happen in our gaming software future. I wanted to originally say "scared", but I'll stick with "interested."

I'm interested because XBL Marketplace and this DLC that's already on disc has driven a specific point:

You do not own what is on that game disc that you paid money for at the store. You are leasing the content that they choose to make available to you.

You are not entitled to anything, really. And really, if you're able to start, play through an acceptable length of gameplay, and see an ending, then the developers have accomplished what they set forth to do: make an enjoyable gameplay experience.

I make the next version of Grand Theft Auto. Its as huge as San Andreas, with all the graphical bells and whistles, the ability to put in your own music, and so on. You're able to unlock new costumes for your character, and after you beat the game, you can start the game over with all of your previous stats, and there's now new missions, cars, and objectives available. There's even an arena where your character can do a demolition derby or race against other folks online.

The reviews are in. "The Best GTA Yet." "So Much To Do." "Frothing Demand For This Game Increases." Well hell! Time to get!

Now, a month goes by, and I post up on marketplace "New City with missions available." The new city promises a couple more unlockable things, with some new challenges. Its about 10 bucks more. Cool! You pay, and procede to download... a 108k key.

The new area shows up on your map. It wasn't there previously, and there was no way of traveling there otherwise before the key. But its there now, and damn! Its pretty damn cool. You also just got 2 new cars, a costume, and a new home out of this. Sweet!

A couple weeks later there's new missions available in that town. Aliens have abducted most of the townsfolk, and now you can go find out what the hell is going on. You can now also unlock the Death Ray, a flying saucer, a teleportation tool that will beam you to any of the other homes that you own, and it also unlocks another Police Star. If it goes past 6 Stars, Men in Black come after you. You don't want Men in Black after you.

Other paid unlockables follow. Other costumes. New cars. A co-op option (play as an alien!). All were on the disc already.

But the core game was there. You never felt that you were missing anything, because none of the unlocked features were shown from the start. You played through the game. You enjoyed it. Now there's more stuff to do! And the game's "life" extend because of this.

I see this as being the future of game software. If you don't want it, that's fine! You still get a very full game. But there is going to be content that is available that will extend that particular game. Stuff that you will see fellow friends and forumers enjoying, or griping about. Stuff that you could also experience...

...for a fee.

This is a future I don't want to be a part of.

mr jones said:

...for a fee.

So, in that Earth, the Developers have spent their already strained development time not only developing one game, but actually, a game and a quarter?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
BenjaminBirdie said:
So, in that Earth, the Developers have spent their already strained development time not only developing one game, but actually, a game and a quarter?

Nope. A game like San Andreas, or Oblivion are already huge, right? But as of right now, you have no idea how much content is really on that disc right now. There could be another island that isn't on the main continent in The Elder Scrolls, that you only have access to if you visit some witch who will Teleport you from within the Imperial City. That island has a new small guild, missions, and horse armor (lol). It was already on the disc, but its a new unlockable. It was developed and designed for when the game went gold.

mr jones said:
Nope. A game like San Andreas, or Oblivion are already huge, right? But as of right now, you have no idea how much content is really on that disc right now. There could be another island that isn't on the main continent in The Elder Scrolls, that you only have access to if you visit some witch who will Teleport you from within the Imperial City. That island has a new small guild, missions, and horse armor (lol). It was already on the disc, but its a new unlockable. It was developed and designed for when the game went gold.
they'll never get it. it's a blind argument based merely on some 'principle' and the ridiculous expectation that all devs that make added content for a game should only do so after the game is finished. you can tell it's principle because they have no problem with microsoft doing the same thing with vista.

heck most people here 'expect' that additional content should be free and complain when it isn't, instead of praising the people that give that stuff away for nothing like they should.

Bah. I don't get this argument at all.

There were a lot of secret characters/levels that I wasn't skilled enough to unlock at on e time or another. I personally wouldn't pay for a level select in Ninja Gaiden,but what's wrong with having the option?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
plagiarize said:
they'll never get it. it's a blind argument based merely on some 'principle' and the ridiculous expectation that all devs that make added content for a game should only do so after the game is finished. you can tell it's principle because they have no problem with microsoft doing the same thing with vista.

heck most people here 'expect' that additional content should be free and complain when it isn't, instead of praising the people that give that stuff away for nothing like they should.

Don't get me wrong - I don't particularly like it either. The example that I gave would be a good example of how to do it somewhat correctly - getting a game with great length, and an already nice list of features and functionality.

But you know as well as I do that that isn't going to be the norm. You are going to get games which have features like multiplayer locked unless you pay more for it. Where you can pay 60 dollars for the regular version, or 70 dollars that are for the "limited" version, that has some bonus single-multiplayer levels/maps, as well as access to faster servers that you don't have access to if you bought the regular version. And the biggest slap in the face, features that you see are right there - extra modes, missions, whatever - but are greyed out, and unaccessible until you pay more for it.

Marketplace is a love-hate thing for me. I NEVER buy gamerpics, or themes. Period. You want me to PAY to plaster advertisements of your product all over my dashboard? GTFO.
I'm not "renting" a movie that takes a significant amount of time to download, that I can only watch for 48 hours, then its disabled data clogging up my harddrive.
Pay for episodic television content that I can watch at a friends place for free, or watch as much as I want using my 18 dollars-a-month Netflix Membership? Yeah, no.
Unless its a spectacular unlockable, I'm not paying for extra cars, costumes, guns, twinklies, sparklies, or doo-hickeys.

But I will purchase another couple missions in a game I like. Bonus multiplayer maps plus new guns that can be played in a singleplayer game? Damn - I gotta snag that. I can save the princess with a friend now, AND it alters the ending, and gives me an exclusive mission that isn't in the single-player game? Hell yeah I'm down. 6 new players, 5 new tennis rackets, a harder mode, and a way to increase my players stats HIGHER than they already are? Well, you get the picture. If you give me the right incentive, I'll pay more to unlock content already on a disc that I "purchased."

I know that its a matter of time before I see something that is going to make me want to buy it - thankfully I haven't seen anything yet. Everything else has been additional downloads, which surprisingly is good for piece of mind. "Its like 150+ megabytes! They've ADDED stuff to the game! Sweet!"

mr jones said:
Don't get me wrong - I don't particularly like it either. The example that I gave would be a good example of how to do it somewhat correctly - getting a game with great length, and an already nice list of features and functionality.

But you know as well as I do that that isn't going to be the norm. You are going to get games which have features like multiplayer locked unless you pay more for it. Where you can pay 60 dollars for the regular version, or 70 dollars that are for the "limited" version, that has some bonus single-multiplayer levels/maps, as well as access to faster servers that you don't have access to if you bought the regular version. And the biggest slap in the face, features that you see are right there - extra modes, missions, whatever - but are greyed out, and unaccessible until you pay more for it.

Marketplace is a love-hate thing for me. I NEVER buy gamerpics, or themes. Period. You want me to PAY to plaster advertisements of your product all over my dashboard? GTFO.
I'm not "renting" a movie that takes a significant amount of time to download, that I can only watch for 48 hours, then its disabled data clogging up my harddrive.
Pay for episodic television content that I can watch at a friends place for free, or watch as much as I want using my 18 dollars-a-month Netflix Membership? Yeah, no.
Unless its a spectacular unlockable, I'm not paying for extra cars, costumes, guns, twinklies, sparklies, or doo-hickeys.

But I will purchase another couple missions in a game I like. Bonus multiplayer maps plus new guns that can be played in a singleplayer game? Damn - I gotta snag that. I can save the princess with a friend now, AND it alters the ending, and gives me an exclusive mission that isn't in the single-player game? Hell yeah I'm down. 6 new players, 5 new tennis rackets, a harder mode, and a way to increase my players stats HIGHER than they already are? Well, you get the picture. If you give me the right incentive, I'll pay more to unlock content already on a disc that I "purchased."

I know that its a matter of time before I see something that is going to make me want to buy it - thankfully I haven't seen anything yet. Everything else has been additional downloads, which surprisingly is good for piece of mind. "Its like 150+ megabytes! They've ADDED stuff to the game! Sweet!"

See, I don't mind microtransactions at all, even less than you do. I just really don't think there's going to be THAT much content squirreled away on discs waiting for a key. For example, what you described in Oblivion is coming. It's Shivering Isles and it sure as hell wasn't hiding on the disk, nor was Knights Of The Nine or even the Wizard's Tower. I think for the games you described, it would be glaringly obvious what was already on the disc. I really can't see it going beyond outfits, car skins, or songs. Misson/objective based game content being hidden just doesn't seem very likely to me.

pr0cs

WickedAngel said:
No; I'd feel better if all the content that was finished by shipping time actually shipped with the game.
that doesn't always happen when developing the software, sometimes stuff gets left behind and still adds value but doesn't make the cut when the disc is pressed

WickedAngel said:
Um, yes, you are going to know what is on the disk by looking at the size of the files (...you might try reading the original post). Paying for a 108kb key is paying for content that is already finished, pressed, and sitting on the disk with the rest of the game that you've already paid for.

Because these 108kb keys are just that...keys. The content is on the disk, which means IT IS FINISHED.
Are you daft? I'm talking about the fact that they're finished content when the game is pressed but leave it off the disc purposely and make you download it instead. You aren't going to know if the addons were too late to put on the disc or if they did it after the game was released. They are doing you a favor by putting them on the disc early yet you feel that somehow you got shafted.
I can't believe it's that are for you to understand this.

WickedAngel said:
The rest of your post really is nonsense; you're the perfect consumer. Buy now and ask questions later. If you want to pay for content twice, that's fine; the rest of us will "bitch and moan" until something gets done about it.

Those people don't realize they're paying for things that they've already paid for which is why they're still doing it.

No I'm a consumer who happens to have a background in software development. I understand that this is something they're going to do, no matter how much crying you do about it. I'd rather they put as much stuff on the disc (that they're leaving out of retail) so that I don't have to waste my valuable time downloading it. I'll vote with my dollar and the devs and publishers will learn what I will and won't pay for.

pr0cs said:
that doesn't always happen when developing the software, sometimes stuff gets left behind and still adds value but doesn't make the cut when the disc is pressed

How many times are we going to have to go over this before you get it through your head? This has to be the fourth or fifth time you've repeated this ignorant nonsense; the content that these keys are unlocking was done at the time of pressing and is sitting on the disk, waiting to be unlocked. It was NOT "left behind"; it MADE the cut but was locked to charge people twice..

pr0cs said:
Are you daft? I'm talking about the fact that they're finished content when the game is pressed but leave it off the disc purposely and make you download it instead. You aren't going to know if the addons were too late to put on the disc or if they did it after the game was released.

Jesus Christ, are YOU daft? WE KNOW THIS CONTENT WAS FINISHED BECAUSE IT'S ON THE ****ING DISK! We're not TALKING about content that is actually downloaded later; we're talking about CONTENT ON THE DISK THAT REQUIRES A KEY TO UNLOCK.

I'm beginning to believe I'm not going to be able to put this in a language you can understand without crayons, pastels, and Elmer's glue.

arne

i'm going to throw a huge curve ball here.

what if some of this additional unlockable content was, yes, planned from the start but was worked on by a separate but smaller dev team than the ones working on the main game and allocated a separate budget, since the budget for the actual game itself wouldn't allow it?

so in the end you have two teams with two separate sets of development costs and budgets, the same deadline but one team wasn't part of the original game spec/budget?

i'm not saying this happens, but anything is possible!

Dalauz

arne said:

what if some of this additional unlockable content was, yes, planned from the start but was worked on by a separate but smaller dev team than the ones working on the main game and allocated a separate budget, since the budget for the actual game itself wouldn't allow it?

so in the end you have two teams with two separate sets of development costs and budgets, the same deadline but one team wasn't part of the original game spec/budget?

new meme? like the "enviroment" thing @forza2?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
WickedAngel said:
Jesus Christ, are YOU daft? WE KNOW THIS CONTENT WAS FINISHED BECAUSE IT'S ON THE ****ING DISK! We're not TALKING about content that is actually downloaded later; we're talking about CONTENT ON THE DISK THAT REQUIRES A KEY TO UNLOCK.

I'm beginning to believe I'm not going to be able to put this in a language you can understand without crayons, pastels, and Elmer's glue.

Angel, angel. Chill, mang. He gets what you're saying. I think.

You're saying "Screw paying for content already on disc. The game came with whatever extra fluff already on the plastic. Gimme what I goddamn paid for YOU *&@$*& ARGWAH!"

What pr0cs is saying is "Dawg. They have the content finished ANYWAYS. Regardless of whether its on the disc, or an additional large download on XBL. I'd rather save the time of downloading a large file and just download a key, if I'm going to be paying the same extra fee anyways."

And Arne, it all comes down to content, holmes. If said smaller team just made throwback jerseys for the Madden Roster, screw' em.

If that same team just made throwback jerseys, added a "Living the good life" mode where I can raise a player right out of college from my NCAA save, fixed the audibles and HB Sneak money plays, AND gave me the option to update player stats, I'd be a microtransactin' fool.

arne

mr jones said:
And Arne, it all comes down to content, holmes. If said smaller team just made throwback jerseys for the Madden Roster, screw' em.

If that same team just made throwback jerseys, added a "Living the good life" mode where I can raise a player right out of college from my NCAA save, fixed the audibles and HB Sneak money plays, AND gave me the option to update player stats, I'd be a microtransactin' fool.

well, if you go back a page i was all talking about how actual content like you describe has, thus far, been actual full downloads. so that all this speculation, for now, is kind of pointless and just going back and forth between highly opinionated people who as far as i can tell aren't involved in the actual operations of software development (and neither am i for that matter).

because right now, all you've got is the equivalent of your throwback jerseys that are being unlocked.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This was already happening 10 years ago with Quake 1. Buy the shareware CD for $1 or so, unlock the full game already on the disc for $40.
speaking of, I still have one of those discs. How do I play this 10-year-old game anyway? They still want me to pay full price when I go to buy it on their website.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
bune duggy said:
speaking of, I still have one of those discs. How do I play this 10-year-old game anyway? They still want me to pay full price when I go to buy it on their website.

You find the crack on the internet. Otherwise you go buy the full version. That shareware disc is useless without a crack now, because the 800 number needed to unlock it has long since been defunct.

Getting back on topic....

Arne - MY fear is that while as of now, the only on disc unlockables have been fluff like extra cars, clothes and horse armor, I'm going to start seeing games that have LEVELS and MISSIONS and MODES that are unlocked via payment. Where the next Halo has 3 exclusive maps that are immediately available to those who buy the Super Elite Edition, and via a paid key for the Blue Collar Edition.

arne

mr jones said:
Arne - MY fear is that while as of now, the only on disc unlockables have been fluff like extra cars, clothes and horse armor, I'm going to start seeing games that have LEVELS and MISSIONS and MODES that are unlocked via payment. Where the next Halo has 3 exclusive maps that are immediately available to those who buy the Super Elite Edition, and via a paid key for the Blue Collar Edition.

of course, I'm not trivializing anyone's fear that this might happen. but people are talking about it like is IS happening currently.

while I get it, your example isn't the greatest because folks who are paying for the super elite edition would want extra content to add value for the difference they're paying. but i get it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I rented NFS Carbon and it's just disgusting how much content is locked by a 108k key. EA even has the nerve to include a "Xbox Live Marketplace" option when you go through the main menus in the game. The game was super short compared to the previous NFS installment too...but hey, I can upgrade to the collector's edition for some additional tracks. And guess what, it's a 108k key too. Ugh

MaddenNFL64

Mehrunes Razor is about 200k, but the plugin is huge. Voice, NPC's, new items/weapons. it's obviously on the disc already.

pr0cs

WickedAngel said:
How many times are we going to have to go over this before you get it through your head? This has to be the fourth or fifth time you've repeated this ignorant nonsense; the content that these keys are unlocking was done at the time of pressing and is sitting on the disk, waiting to be unlocked. It was NOT "left behind"; it MADE the cut but was locked to charge people twice..

The only way you know it was finished is because of it's 108k key, big ****ing deal, my point is (and obviously I have to draw a picture because reading comprehension seems beyond your mental capacity) lets pretend they left the content off the disk and you were forced to download a 10MB+ patch. You'd be happier then? When if after you downloaded that 10MB patch I had the developer call you at home and say "We finished that shit you just bought even before we pressed the final ****ing DVD you retard, now you just bought my kid a new pair of shoes sucker!!!!"

My point is that the only way you actually know that the content is finished or not is if you actually work for the dev team and know what is / isn't available when the code is finally shippable.

WickedAngel said:
I'm beginning to think you've been sniffing glue most of your life because you really can't put 2 and 2 together to realize that you're at the mercy of the developers and they're doing you a big favor by putting the shit on the disc so you don't have to waste time to download it.

KTallguy

Banned
pr0cs said:
I'm beginning to think you've been sniffing glue most of your life because you really can't put 2 and 2 together to realize that you're at the mercy of the developers and they're doing you a big favor by putting the shit on the disc so you don't have to waste time to download it.

I guess you don't understand how exploitable this model is.

In NFS: Carbon, locked content is pressed and put on a disc intentionally so that they can charge consumers more after they bought it. The point is that they're selling you something that you need to pay more for in order to use it completely. It's like someone is selling you a cage, but not the key to it.

If this trend continues, devs will be encouraged to effectively make half of the game available on the disc, and lock the rest of it for microtransactions.

pr0cs said:
I'm a consumer who happens to have a background in software development. I understand that this is something they're going to do, no matter how much crying you do about it. I'd rather they put as much stuff on the disc (that they're leaving out of retail) so that I don't have to waste my valuable time downloading it. I'll vote with my dollar and the devs and publishers will learn what I will and won't pay for.

That's nice that you're satisfied with paying for content that's on the disc already, but I'm afraid that many people just don't see it that way. When I think "additional content", logically it should be content that is published and distributed separately from the main game.

It's funny that you're saying that you're glad that you don't have a huge download. How "additional" is content that was pressed and sent to the factory along with the game? What are you really paying for? This method requires no extra effort from developers and is effectively a cheap cash in on gullible players. It's a shameful practice and there needs to be more attention brought to games and publishers that try to exploit players.

pr0cs said:
I'm beginning to think you've been sniffing glue most of your life because you really can't put 2 and 2 together to realize that you're at the mercy of the developers

Complaining about it brings attention to the practice and if enough people know what's going on, they'll stop purchasing it if they feel cheated. That's the purpose of threads and discussion like these. We're not at the mercy of anyone.

As NeoGAF's official "Buying Shit that is Already on the Disc Watchdog", I feel it is my duty to update you guys on the state of the marketplace from time to time. Check out the first post for MAJOR updates such as:

$405 (!!) worth of DOAX2 download keys
AQUAZONE one-uping the competition by setting new record prices for content you can only get by paying for an unlock key, $47.25 in all
DDR Universe, Tiger Woods, and A-TrainHX getting in on the action

Segata Sanshiro said:
Coming soon...

zeldaoh1.jpg
LMAO

Ponn

Banned
arne said:

You mean there are totally seperate development teams working on just horse armor and helmets to put on the actual game discs only to sell as unlockables later ? Thats like the telemarketeers of the gaming world. What a shitty job.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ponn01 said:
You mean there are totally seperate development teams working on just horse armor and helmets to put on the actual game discs only to sell as unlockables later ? Thats like the telemarketeers of the gaming world. What a shitty job.
You know that post is over a year and a half old right?

ancient bump to LOL at a jpg? How did the bumper even stumble upon this?

This thread is ancient, but seeing that Castle Crashers' newly released DLC is just a 108.00 KB key I'm giving this a bump just to see how prevalent this practice is today.

I added Castle Crashers to the OP. (Behemoth, you got a lot of nerve bringing your 108.00 KB keys around here, after what you pulled.)
King Pack (160 points) 108.00 KB

Soul Calibur IV also had a mix of paid locked content:
Customization Equipment 1 (150 points) 108.00 KB
Customization Equipment 2 (150 points) 108.00 KB
Customization Equipment 3 (150 points) 108.00 KB
and "I'm too lazy to play the game" unlocks for pay:
Weapon set: ultimate weapons (300 points) 108.00 KB
Weapon set: bonus weapons (300 points) 108.00 KB

I've taken my finger off the pulse of this for almost 2 years, so has the practice been essentially abandoned? Or are there loads of games I could add to the OP now?

a Master Ninja said:
This thread is ancient, but seeing that Castle Crashers' newly released DLC is just a 108.00 KB key I'm giving this a bump just to see how prevalent this practice is today.

I added Castle Crashers to the OP. (Behemoth, you got a lot of nerve bringing your 108.00 KB keys around here, after what you pulled.)
King Pack (160 points) 108.00 KB

Soul Calibur IV also had a mix of paid locked content:
Customization Equipment 1 (150 points) 108.00 KB
Customization Equipment 2 (150 points) 108.00 KB
Customization Equipment 3 (150 points) 108.00 KB
and "I'm too lazy to play the game" unlocks for pay:
Weapon set: ultimate weapons (300 points) 108.00 KB
Weapon set: bonus weapons (300 points) 108.00 KB

I've taken my finger off the pulse of this for almost 2 years, so has the practice been essentially abandoned? Or are there loads of games I could add to the OP now?
that's so fucking shameful.

Mamesj

Banned
a Master Ninja said:

You can buy gold, techniques, and EXP in Vesperia. Pretty much the bottom of the barrel DLC as far as I'm concerned.

Vinci

Danish
mr jones said:

I predicted this would happen a decade ago or something. People said I was crazy. Man, I hope so 'cause that's a gaming future I'd like to opt out of.

last remnant march to war set, 100 ms points, 108kb key

there's three other download keys but they are free

kingdom under fire: circle of doom
5 accesory packs, and a bundle all 108 kb keys

Funny that the worst offenders are mostly japanese. Sega, scamco, konami, and tecmo are/were bad with this.

But it's gotten better, as most of the games in the op are pretty old now.

Sorry - can we clarify?

Has Castle Crashers, a downloadable game... (gets migrane, composes self)... a downfuckingloadable game, and one that did not work as advertised when I bought it months ago...had extra content on it, taking up my hard-disk space, that I have not been experiencing, and now have to pay to do so?

Did they, by all that is holy and good, not even have the common courtesy to make that content accessible when I first bought the game?

If its true, I hope Behemoth folds. Its a good game, great even, but I hope they fold. This is something with which up I will not put.

Top Bottom