• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PBS : VideoGamesLive Special Premieres July 31

Deku

Banned
PBS said:
The PBS special -- consisting of never before televised live musical performances from the Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Halo, Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, God of War, Civilization, Chrono Cross, StarCraft and Guitar Hero franchises, and a musical journey through classic gaming -- premieres July 31, 2010 and airs throughout August on PBS stations (check your local listings at http://pbs.org/tvschedules). Support your local PBS station now -- you make it possible for your PBS station to offer amazing performances and the opportunity to discover something new every day, whether on TV or online. To donate to your local PBS station, visit http://pbs.org/support

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzHLeDBKprA

Support your local public broadcaster.

DarkWish

I've been SUPER excited for this ever since Tommy Tallarico mentioned they were doing a PBS special back in October. Having seen Video Games Live twice now, it's an awesome experience and I can't wait to see it on TV as well.

i went to one of these type concerts at otakon, they played chrono cross music and not chrono trigger i was disappointed

jett

D-Member
Technosteve said:
i went to one of these type concerts at otakon, they played chrono cross music and not chrono trigger i was disappointed

Chrono Cross has better music.

Very cool to see video games being shown off on TV in more ways than just trailers and interviews on GTTV, G4, or the VGA's. I have never been able to get to a Videogames Live concert, which I am truly saddened by. But, this shows the maturity, and depth that the videogame industry has. The music in games are something that many people outside of GAF dont even think about, but this is an amazing way to show them the serious nature behind it

AAK

081213tappy.jpg

"Where be my masterpiece?"

Tappy Iwase that did the MGS theme for the people that don't know

jett

D-Member
AAK said:
081213tappy.jpg

"Where be my masterpiece?"

Tappy Iwase that did the MGS theme for the people that don't know

You mean the theme he disgustingly ripped off from Georgy Sviridov?

I feel sorry for Harry Gregson-Williams most of all, he must've felt horrible after finding out he had ripped off another composer, without any fault of his own. HIDEOS must've bowed his head 200 times apologizing. :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mandoric said:
Funny how PBS has better games content than actual gaming channels.

And NPR does better game journalism pieces than the major websites and magazines too.

Bentendo

I've never listened to a single Chrono Cross song. Can someone please direct me to a Youtube video of your favorite theme(s)? Thanks.

mehdi_san

I'm outside the US, so i can't watch. But I really hope there will be a way of ordering the DVD/Bluray for us non-Americans. I saw them live last year, and it was so awesome. I even got to get on stage, and play Frogger on the huge screen while the orchestra was trying to adapt the music to my (bad) performance In real time :lol

ZealousD said:
And NPR does better game journalism pieces than the major websites and magazines too.
Well, that's what you get when you actually hire educated people that are writers and thinkers first and gamers second. You know, instead of just keeping everything like a He-Man Non-Friend Haters Club

Mandoric

Banned
OJdaKiller said:
But other gaming channels have reruns of Cheaters instead. That's way better, isn't it?

I guess I'm just bitter because I've been watching the newest season of Retro Game Challenge lately, and seeing how stupidly easy it is to produce game-centric content that the core market will love and non-gamers will tolerate on the extreme cheap.

Bentendo said:
I've never listened to a single Chrono Cross song. Can someone please direct me to a Youtube video of your favorite theme(s)? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMvJf9UNdc is the cliched response, but there's a damn good reason for it to be.

BowieZ

Banned
How often does VGL change its performance repertoire? I understand it's hard for them to not play the classics which everyone loves for the sake of freshness, but do they add many new franchises and music compositions (say, from Mario Galaxy) to the set list?

Cheerilee

BowieZ said:
How often does VGL change its performance repertoire? I understand it's hard for them to not play the classics which everyone loves for the sake of freshness, but do they add many new franchises and music compositions (say, from Mario Galaxy) to the set list?
I've been to the two most recent Vancouver shows, and I'd say they were about 70-80% the same as each other, with the remainder having pretty much the same feel as the rest of the show or the other year's material. It didn't help that most of the non-musical elements in the second show (jokes and whatnot) were lifted from the first. I think/hope that they realized the need for freshness and will address it in the future, because Tommy asked the audience at the opening of the second show how many of us had seen the first one, and it was a pretty large percentage.

Also, the show tends to skew lowest-common denominator, so it's heavy on the Mario/Zelda/Final Fantasy, and they're more likely to go with music from Super Mario Bros 1/Ocarina of Time/Final Fantasy 7 than something like Mario Galaxy/Link's Awakening/Final Fantasy 6.

makingmusic476 said:
I'd hope to see Shadow of the Colossus appear on the set list one day, but the game is probably too niche.
IIRC, they did Shadow of the Colossus in Vancouver this year.

Geneijin

From what I've been hearing so far in this special, the rearrangements have been largely the same from when I last went to VGL.

Edit: Ahh, ruby_onix beat me to it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This sounds pretty cool. Will watch for Mario and Zelda music. Better be at least Ocarina of Time tune or I'll be sad.

Deku

Banned
Just a reminder its this weekend :)

Washington / BC area viewers will catch it on KCTS August 1st 6:30 PM

Deku

Banned
Ramirez said:
I searched my PBS station on the Dish guide and can't find it in the listings for today. :(

which affiliate station do you get? They should have a website with their TV listings

Ramirez

Deku said:
which affiliate station do you get? They should have a website with their TV listings

I get East TN PBS, I typed Videogames Live in the search box for their schedule and get nothing, blah.

Top Bottom