• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC (4K) HDR monitors are coming in 2017

dr_rus

Currently announced HDR monitors:

2560x1440
- 27" Dell S2718D | IPS | 6ms G2G | 400cd/m2 | 1000:1 | 99% sRGB

3840x2160 (aka 4K)
- 27" Asus Swift PG27UQ | IPS w/QDs | ?ms | 1000cd/m2 | ?:1 | ?% DCI-P3 + 144Hz and G-Sync
- 32" Asus ProArt PA32U | ? w/QD | ?ms | 1000cd/m2 | ?:1 | 95% DCI-P3 + 85% Rec. 2020
- 32" BenQ SW320 | IPS | 5ms G2G | 350cd/m2 | 1000:1 | 100% sRGB
- 32" LG 32UD99 | IPS | ?ms | ?cd/m2 | ?:1 | 95% DCI-P3

=======

So this just came in: LG To Unveil Spectacular Monitor Lineup At CES 2017

The interesting bit is this in particular:
To stay a step ahead of the rapid proliferation of HDR content, LG's 32-inch UHD 4K monitor (model 32UD99) with 3840 x 2160 resolution supports the HDR10 standard, which delivers enhanced brightness levels, more shadow detail and a wider color gamut for an exceptionally true-to-life image. Compatibility with the HDR10 standard increases the monitor's peak brightness, enabling users to edit movies and photographs much more comfortably.

The 32UD99's In-Plane Switching (IPS) panel displays over 95 percent of the DCI-P3 color space, making it ideal for media content creators. Creative professionals will also appreciate features such as True Color Pro, which deliver color reproduction accuracy that is unmatched in the industry. With the availability of a new generation of HDR-capable game consoles, the 32UD99 is also well-equipped to meet the increasing demands of players around the world as HDR gaming becomes the new standard in home entertainment and game play.

LG_Electronics_USA_34_Inch_Monitor.jpg

(Thankfully it's not curved as most new displays seem to be these days.)

I'm sure that this is just the first of several PC HDR monitors which will be announced soon.

Vuze

Good news. I guess it's only 60hz though since this doesn't seem to be a dedicated gaming monitor.

Can't wait to see what CES has in store. New Shield TV, HDR monitors... should be good.

muetimueti

Neo Member
Will we see HDR on monitors below 4k? Until 4k is feasible at ~90 fps in most titles and there are actually monitors (and an HDMI-standard) that support refresh rates above 60 at 4k I'm not really interested in the resolution bump, but HDR would be neat. 1440p/144hz with HDR would be ideal...

Izuna

Banned
Thank you for this thread. I'm excited since I'm in the market for an HDR Monitor. I want something with minimal bezel, about 90% DCI P3 IPS (8-bit with dithering is fine) for about £300.

That sounds realistic, right?

robotrock

Banned
is HDR going to be bad for latency? I saw people complain in threads about LG TVs about HDR mode giving some serious input lag, but wasn't sure if that was just extra TV post processing

Pagusas

Elden Member
So for all of us that have already been using HDR screens with our PC's for the last year, can we finally get an HDR patch for Deus Ex. Please.

crespo

Neo Member
Will we see HDR on monitors below 4k? Until 4k is feasible at ~90 fps in most titles and there are actually monitors (and an HDMI-standard) that support refresh rates above 60 at 4k I'm not really interested in the resolution bump, but HDR would be neat. 1440p/144hz with HDR would be ideal...

I'm running most of my titles I usually play at a solid 60+ fps at 4k. It will not be a problem by the time these babies come out.

Sami+

Hmmm I think I'll hold off on my TV purchase then. I've been using a 32" 1080p set as my monitor for the past few years so a 4K upgrade that doesn't go any bigger would be nice.

laxu

I want 120+ Hz 4K displays more than I want HDR. While I would ideally take both, higher refresh rate trumps HDR for me. I really hope 2017 is the year we get both the GPUs that can run 4K @ 60 fps and displays to go with it.

Vuze

So for all of us that have already been using HDR screens with our PC's for the last year, can we finally get an HDR patch for Deus Ex. Please.
I really wonder where the RotR patch is at. :(
This one should really shine with all the different settings and is supposedly 'done'.
is HDR going to be bad for latency? I saw people complain in threads about LG TVs about HDR mode giving some serious input lag, but wasn't sure if that was just extra TV post processing
I guess it depends on the implementation. On my TV HDR gaming/graphics mode is no different than SDR.
What are you hoping for, VA or OLED?
Spokesman of LG Germany recently said there won't be any OLED monitors in the short term future due to tech constraints so I'd guess VA is the more likely bet.

I wonder if people will be able to mod older PC games to support HDR when we get some kind of a standard in place. I'm looking forward to getting in on this stuff in summer 2018 when I end my studying and move to a bigger home.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I will stick with my 1440p /144Hz Gsync Monitor till we get GPU that does 4k wit high fps.

Izuna

Banned
4k at 24" looks so bloody good, I can't wait until I finally get one. Surface Book's screen has prepared me.

Mifec

Hoping for a 1440p/144hz non IPS model eventually.
That's what I'm hoping for. Microsoft are introducing hdr support soon apparently. Not sure if there is a date yet though...

Just "spring".

4k at 24" looks so bloody good, I can't wait until I finally get one. Surface Book's screen has prepared me.

I'd never get an actual 4k monitor even at 30" let alone 24"

dr_rus

I hope that HDR monitors with 1080/1440p resolution will come too eventually.

This is what I'm wondering as well hence the "(4K)" in the thread title. I mean, there are no reasons why there can't be such monitors at some point but TV/panel industry can be strange at times. I still don't understand why they've limited HDR to 4K TVs only for example.

robotrock

Banned
I got one as a second monitor and couldn't stand it, even with messing with scaling 30 is just too small for me.

You gotta give it your undivided attention IMO. Or buy two of the same 24" 4Ks. What res/size was your primary monitor at anyways?

I think pairing a 1080p and a 2160p for a dual monitor set up would be a bad time.

dr_rus

Probably because they're not producing HDR content in resolutions other than 4k.

But they do. OG PS4 and XBOS are outputting in 1080p + HDR right now, and this is arguably a more widespread HDR use case than any video content at the moment. Streaming video in 1080p+HDR as an option sounds interesting as well since 4K can be an overkill for some cases (connection and/or screen size).

Zaph

Hopefully LG has more going on than this - 32" at 4K is weird on a monitor as it won't scale well.

For a none-gaming monitor, I'd like 5K at around 27" (that res scales nicely to 1440p effective at 200%) with multiple uplink ports. LG's current 5K only has one uplink port (USB-C), which is silly on a pro monitor.

Ra1den

But devs will still need to patch each pc game to get it to support HDR, right? I wonder if they'll have enough incentive to do that on already-released games.

Backlogger

I don't want a 4K monitor. I don't buy new graphics cards every year.

Like others I would want a 144hz 1440p and probably non IPS

Top Bottom