• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC (4K) HDR monitors are coming in 2017

DieH@rd

Banned
My current goal is to move from my 32" 1080p TV that I use as a PC (and PS4 Pro) monitor to Sony 43" X800D (VA, 4K HDR, 10bit, low latency).

Let's see if CES will change that plan.

inner-G

Banned
Nice

I've been waiting for something like this with g sync to replace my 1440p screen. I have to get IPS screens for the color.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is what I'm wondering as well hence the "(4K)" in the thread title. I mean, there are no reasons why there can't be such monitors at some point but TV/panel industry can be strange at times. I still don't understand why they've limited HDR to 4K TVs only for example.

They are barely even making 1080p TVs anymore in general though. I mean you can get a 4K TV for under $500.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yup, I'll be keeping an eye on these. Hopefully it comes with displayport for my PC and HDMI 2.0 for the PS4 Pro.

I'm currently using another 32" 4K and it's a good size for desktop use. It has 10 bit colour, but doesn't have the brightness required for HDR. It's only HDMI 1.4 so the PS4 Pro couldn't use it anyway.

Duxxy3

Just don't know if I want a 28"+ monitor sitting on my desk (28" seems to the minimum for 4k). 24" is perfect for me. Even if that means I'm stuck at 1080p or 1440p.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wait, unless I'm completely off-base, HDR implementation is totally independent of resolution. HDR is getting fairly commonplace in new PS4 games and XB1 S games.

It is.

The real thing is nobody is making 1080p displays en masse anymore. Everything even cheap displays are going 4K. 1080p is getting phased out even at the lowerish end now.

Granted there are still a ton of cheap 1080p sets out there that places need to get rid of.

Wait, unless I'm completely off-base, HDR implementation is totally independent of resolution. HDR is getting fairly commonplace in new PS4 games and XB1 S games.

I mean hollywood.. not people making games. I don't think HDR video content is being mastered for 1080p displays. I'm not saying that 4k is required for HDR on a technical level, I'm just talking about the content being produced for people to watch on their HDR capable displays (aside from games).

As others have mentioned in the thread, they're not making many 1080p TVs anymore at all.

FinKL

In the PC monitor manufacturer league table, LG would not be my first,second or third choice for consideration when purchasing TBH.

I mean, I remember years ago LG was synonymous with cheap LCDs monitors, but I feel they've disrupted enough and improved quality through the years. They were one of the first to source Ultra Wide Screens and even Apple now uses LG panels for their new 5k monitor.

You could do a lot worst, (Sceptre or ViewSonic etc.) although I've got a ViewSonic that works well.

Also for screen size, I think 27" 16:9 or 34" 21:9 is the sweet spot. Anything bigger, you better have the monitor back or you'll be turning your head.

Just saw that LG monitor has built in Chromecast! That's awesome for casting stuff from your phone or even using Google Home to cast to your monitor when your hands are tied.

Sky87

How would 1080p gaming look on a screen like this? I'm assuming not as good as a comparable 1080p monitor of the same size because of the non native res.

Gestault

I mean hollywood.. not people making games. I don't think HDR video content is being mastered for 1080p displays. I'm not saying that 4k is required for HDR on a technical level, I'm just talking about the content being produced for people to watch on their HDR capable displays (aside from games).

As others have mentioned in the thread, they're not making many 1080p TVs anymore at all.

OOooh, gotcha gotcha

FinKL

I don't think there are HDR games available on PC? At least I don't recall GoW4/Forza talking about it on PC

dr_rus

I know it's announced, but are you sure it's supported already? Any proof?

DXGI 1.5 Improvements

Windows 10 support HDR since 1607 update. No idea why people think that it doesn't.

Shadow Warrior 2 and Obduction both support HDR already and run in Windows 10. I don't believe any UWP apps currently support HDR though.

SW2 (don't know about Obduction) support HDR via NVAPI on NV cards only. The plus side to this is that NVAPI is available on any Windows starting with Vista.

dumb question some monitors can be 1080p with HDR? or HDR is only for 4k?

Resolution is irrelevant but it remains to be seen if the panel & monitor manufacturers will add HDR support to lower end (meaning non-4K) models.

Hakkelus

There's no rush for 4k for me, but after seeing 120 and 144Hz monitors in action I feel like 60Hz needs to die! Honestly, I'd much rather play 1080p 120Hz than 4K 60Hz.

Hesh

Interesting gambit since any sort of input lag caused by HDR makes these a virtual non-factor for those that primarily play online games (MOBAs, MMORPG's, competitive shooters, etc.). I'm guessing the price will be well north of $1000 USD, too, based on the current prices of G-Sync and curved monitors worth their salt.

nullref

LG, please put out a Windows-compatible version of the 27" panel found in the 5K iMac and 5K Ultra Fine, using DisplayPort 1.3 or 1.4. Ideally with HDR10 support as well. And also low input lag.

That's pretty much the monitor I'm waiting on at this point – and I am willing to wait. I'll hook it up to both a future Macbook Pro that will support it (my current one won't), and the GTX 1080 in my gaming PC (running games at 1440p, probably).

Waikis

Lol? It's not perfect for content creation, but it's more than enough for the end user.

We already have affordable monitors with 98% dci p3. Why go back to a lesser standard and charge it at a (presumably) premium price.
Especially considering how much wider bt2020 really is.

I'm ok if this is priced at an entry price, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom